RC poster

Top 5 mistakes you can make with your E-Revo Brushless

Hey guys...

As the title says...help out us new boys by telling us the top 5 mistakes we could make and how to avoid making them?

Doug.

RC Racer
    It's mistake #6 you need to worry about.

RC Champion
    Not reading manuals yourself is one of them ...
    Slightly Addicted

RC Racer
    ^ Agreed. Manuals are there for a reason. Most have FAQ incase you get stuck somewhere. Also MAINTAINCE is a big must in my opinion.

RC Racer
    Underestimating THE POWER OF THE ERBE.........................

Learn to walk and jog with her before you try run or go light speed.......

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Read the manual.... and allow the slipper to slip...

Seems like guys are always tearing up the drivetrain, when a proper slipper setting can really help.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bflosti View Post
    Underestimating THE POWER OF THE ERBE.........................

Learn to walk and jog with her before you try run or go light speed.......
    I love this!! hahahaha awesome quote.

RC Qualifier
    my only tip would be to forget about the ESC power switch. leave it 'on' and just unplug batteries when you are done driving. even if you are stopping for 5 minutes. just unplug them. keep your esc happy. it will then make you happy lol

RC Qualifier
    #1 mistake of a noobie is jumping straight into 6s. Regardless of your experience its wise to get used to this rig on 4s. And use the castle link to program the punch. Cause this baby hits hard out of the box.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintOnNitro View Post
    my only tip would be to forget about the ESC power switch. leave it 'on' and just unplug batteries when you are done driving. even if you are stopping for 5 minutes. just unplug them. keep your esc happy. it will then make you happy lol
    is that to save the switch because that could most likely die after 12 months?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mwi View Post
    Not reading manuals yourself is one of them ...
    I received the manual for this model.
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/5603erevo

Is that a mistake on the part of Traxxas?

Most guys go a step further and just cut the switch off and solder the wires together.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    using mod1 pinion on 32 pitch spur. never happen to me, just thought i'll put it on the mistake list LOL
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    The only reason I didn't blow a talon as a noob doing donuts was because they were on a nitro revo. Check your wheel nuts often. Hot is a feeling not a temperature buy a cheap ir gun. Above all else have a good time and keep it between the lines.

Welcome to the club!
    Stop busting my canards!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DougJnr View Post

i got the same manual 5603

RC Champion
    Standing backflips to impress your friends.
    Over-gearing.
    Cheap lipos and/or improper care of lipos.
    Letting the slipper slip too much.
    running in water.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

Quote Originally Posted by DougJnr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by growler87 View Post
    i got the same manual 5603
    no mistake you need that manual &
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...9_090826_0.pdf
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    Don't try & jump over the local swimming pool.
    Turning the kiddies slide around to face away from the pool may look like a good ramp, but just no.

RC Racer
    Letting someone inexperienced operate your ERBE is pretty risky too.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
    #1 mistake of a noobie is jumping straight into 6s. Regardless of your experience its wise to get used to this rig on 4s. And use the castle link to program the punch. Cause this baby hits hard out of the box.
    I think that depends on whether you've got throttle control and also where you run. I've only run my ERBE on 6s and I'm very glad that I didn't use 4s. Yes 6s is powerful but very controllable on a rig that is as planted as the Revo.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

RC Qualifier
    Yes that is the correct manual, Traxxas does not make the MMM setup, consider the MMM to be a factory mod. I totally agree with the” learn to walk before you go light speed”, you will break less stuff. If you are new, DON'T drive it on a street with curbs, you will hit them and guess who wins, CURB every time. Definitely don't let your friends drive it, if you think you are going to give in and let them, do it in an open field with nothing to hit. Maintenance is a must, RESPECT LIPOs, LEARN ALL YOU CAN ABOUT LIPOs. if you are not carful you could burn your house down. And never charge them more than 2 times the mah rating. ex. 2000mah do not charge at more than 4 amps. Always balance charge if possible, to help make you batteries last longer. Watch your motor temp, like if you are doing high load stuff like really rough terrain, this will heat up your motor fairly quickly. Don’t go crazy with donuts, yea its fun but I destroyed my diff doing it. Not worth it. You can do them just don’t keep doing them. Just some of my thoughts
    REVO 3.3, shumacher fusion .21,TC4, ERBE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by raqumup View Post
    never charge them more than 2 times the mah rating. ex. 2000mah do not charge at more than 4 amps.
    ive been told its equal and doubling up will cause a fire. 5000MaH = 5 Amps (MAX) and 4 amps if you are being nice to your batteries.
    i used to charge my Merv batteries at 4 amps (and were 2000mah and always had problems with them, and lost a bunch) haha
    i could be wrong though. i know LiFe batteries can be beat to snot...

never do high speed run with lots of blind spots on your view, cause even with a blink of an eyes, there goes your truck doing cartwheel.

RC Qualifier
    "Lipos require a special type of charger that uses the CC/CV method (Constant Current/ Constant Voltage). Provided your charger is capable, you will be best served using a 1C charge meaning you charge the pack at 1x its capacity. A 5000mah pack will be charged at 5amps, an 8000mah pack at 8amps, and a 4700mah pack at 4.7amps etc etc. Some manufacturers will claim a 2C charge rate is possible for their lipos, but I would always recommend a 1C for safety reasons unless the instructions specifically state this; a 2C charge rate for a 5000mah lipo would be 10amps. A123 cells or LiFePo4 can be charged at upto a 4-5c rate safely since they have a more stable chemistry. Please refer to the Tutorial section on Chargers and charging for more detailed charging info. "

found this in one of the tutorials posted by a forum mod here, in regards to charging lipos

RC Qualifier
    top 5 mistakes on the OTHER side:

1 - buy aluminum arms
    2 - brake an axle and replace it with the same type
    3 - buy again the talon tires because they were destroyed after 2-3 runs
    4 - buy batteries less than 150A
    5 - try to break the 91mph record :P heheh

Quote Originally Posted by fuzion View Post
    top 5 mistakes on the OTHER side:
    1 - buy aluminum arms
    now that you mention aluminum a-arms....., i have to say beware of integy products

RC Champion
    "Lipos require a special type of charger that uses the CC/CV method (Constant Current/ Constant Voltage). Provided your charger is capable, you will be best served using a 1C charge meaning you charge the pack at 1x its capacity. A 5000mah pack will be charged at 5amps, an 8000mah pack at 8amps, and a 4700mah pack at 4.7amps etc etc. Some manufacturers will claim a 2C charge rate is possible for their lipos, but I would always recommend a 1C for safety reasons unless the instructions specifically state this; a 2C charge rate for a 5000mah lipo would be 10amps. A123 cells or LiFePo4 can be charged at upto a 4-5c rate safely since they have a more stable chemistry. Please refer to the Tutorial section on Chargers and charging for more detailed charging info. "

found this in one of the tutorials posted by a forum mod here, in regards to charging lipos
    +1 on this, 2c is asking for trouble!
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Qualifier
    i charge my AR drone batts (1300mah) at 2.6amps and have had no problem at all. my revo batts are 5000mah and i dont have a charger that will go to 10amps so i charge them at 6amps. no issues so far. i do agree that 1C is the safe way to go. all of my batts say they are safe to charge at no more than 2C, but they are your batts and they are in your house, so do whatever you feel is safe for you. i also only ever charge them in LiPo bags and i never leave them unatended. i use a parralle board and when i charge 4 3S batts it takes like 4-5 hours, i normaly do this at my tool box at work.
    REVO 3.3, shumacher fusion .21,TC4, ERBE

RC Qualifier
    Never run in water unless waterproofed...
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

RC Qualifier
    ive charged two 2000mah batteries on one charger @ 4 amps in a series circuit... no real advantage here other than the batteries are the same temp when the charge is done.