RC Competitor

Learnt some things today...mostly that a cheapo charger SUCKS

So today was the day that i got my icharger 206b along with my 550w power supply.
    im sort of new at this and for some reason the CD that came with the charger didnt want to work in my lap top???
    also the usb cable provided to plug into lap top didnt work, computer didnt recognize anything?

not a big deal i still carried on.
    my fist thing to do was to charge my OEM Nimh batteries. the 3000mah ones.
    now i had been reading about parallel charging them isnt recommended but can be done. what the heck i tried it.

wanted to charge them at 2c soooo, that's 6000mah 2C it was a 12A charge. i hope my math is right.

not sure how low the batteries were but it took 12 minutes and i got the charge complete signal.
    ok great..time to play!!!

get out to play and i hear a weird noise from my truck, i thought the spur was stripping (saw a little smoke)
    after taking it apart i realized it was the slipper clutch that had been slipping. i took it apart flipped the pads over and tightened up the slipper so it was hard to hand move.

i also put the 54 spur instead of the 65.
    this is the interesting part!! on my revo with big joes, i have never been able to do a wheelie on concrete from a stop with the 65 spur

today though with the 54 spur i could wheelie pretty good, i think i have my math right. the 54 spur will give more top end and less down low torque. meaning that if i threw the 65 back in along with a good charge with the icharger i'd be able to wheelie even MORE???

i had been using a cheap hobby charger i used to charge ez start packs with.. had a 15 minute 4 amp max quick charge. i'd do 4 of those and then a 1amp trickle. took me a good 3 hours or more to charge batteries

also on a side note: i havent been able to test out my new 5000mah 60-130C ******* batteries (which fit with no issues (i did trim out the battery door for the wires BUT it did close with no mods i just wanted some room)

i bought a 40w solder iron today...it sucks!!!! it doesnt get hot enough to solder traxxas ends onto my *******s. so tomorrow my goal is to get a better iron then solder up my *******s with traxxas ends then parallel charge the lot at 1 C (5000mah x 4 = 20 000) there for 1 c would be charging at 20A with maxes out my charger.
    any ideas how long to expect this to take?

thanks for reading
    Last edited by olliewog; 02-23-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Great news man. I'm like you and have had decent chargers. My FMA Power Lab w/ 600w PSU shipped and should be at my door tomorrow. I purchased this to get into parallel charging also. All I know is they charge and balance faster. I'll be watching your thread and following what is said.

*subscribed*
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Im on charger 3 myself.Same brand I stuck with cause they had no problem exchanging them.First one worked good for a day or 2 put my sons battery nimh and it smoked afterwrds.I was unplugging it from the wall after it was charged.Come to find out.Itmay not be good to do that.I guess you gotta take the battery off first.Second charger the battery they sold me had a dif small plug and I forced it into the hole pushing the femail end into the charger got it exchanged got a diff bat and exch charger,no problem since.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ummmm first up.... lets talk charging...

Nimh batteries use a "peak" to charge, meaning they take increased voltage to hold a steady amp input until they peak, and the volts fall off by just a touch. That little dip can be hard to read, and nimh's have a habit of "false peaking" because of it.

Its especially hard to read if you average the volts of 2 packs together... which is what happens when parallel charging. In fact its really not recommended, as there's a big chance you'll overcharge the packs this way.

If you want to charge up 2 nimh's, you could hook them in parallel and let them sit for 5 minutes or so, that will average the packs out to the same voltage, then charge them in series.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the nimh help! I did read its not good to parallel charge because they will peak differently resulting in an over charged and or an undercharged

I was excited to Practise my first parallel charge. Need to solder traxxas ends onto ******* batteries. Today I'll be buying a heavy duty solder gun
    The 40w I have isn't strong enough
    So hopefully my nimh days are over
    Lipo here I come

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oh yea, you need some beef with those ******* wires, I went through the exact same thing. Bought a big gun type 150/250 watt iron from Radio Shack, sucker will glow red hot.... git er done!

RC Competitor
    Yeah sooo the solder gun wasn't so great
    I found it to be too bulky and clumsy!
    Went to a different shop and all they had were butane ones
    Sooo I now own a butane solder iron which isn't half bad. Plus the torch part is useful too.

I'll be ordering a hakko solder station before I tackle soldering my 6 traxxas plugs onto my charge board and balance board!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I have the Trak Power TK-950 soldering station and that's one of the best investments I've made. It helps to be able to dial the heat you want. Worth every penny IMO.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore