Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVX-2 with LVD

EVX-2 with LVD

For anybody who has somehow not heard, the latest Summit is equipped not only with the new TQi 4-channel radio, but also a new version of the EVX-2 that features Low Voltage Detection for compatibility with LiPo battery packs. I had not seen one of these in a photo before, so I asked a friend to snap a pic. Here it is - you can clearly see the "LOW VOLTAGE DETECTION" label above the LED and the EZ-Set button:

If your EVX-2 does NOT have said lettering, it does not have LVD and should have an alarm or cutoff installed.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-23-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    FINALLY... a pic... thanks KSB... now we know for absolute certain it DOES exist. hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I hid my pic of it in a ramble-y thread yesterday http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...mit-Protection

It's so awesome...my batteries just finished charging, gonna go bomb around in the dark!
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Competitor
    Anybody know the part number for that new ESC. I checked the parts pdf but it has 3019 which I think is the original EVX-2.

RC Enthusiast
    Has any one contacted traxxas for the power up pricing yet? I find the LVA's a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by chardur View Post
    Has any one contacted traxxas for the power up pricing yet? I find the LVA's a pain.
    If/when the price is determined it will be posted. I'm not sure there has been a "PowerUp" between equivalent products before.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-23-2012 at 09:55 PM.

RC Competitor
    I just sent an e-mail to them. I'll reply back when I get an answer from them.

RC Qualifier
    *Subscribed.

Just ran with my LVA installed for the first time on the summit. I unplugged the batteries from the ESC (I had only drained the pack down to about 3.8V/cell ) yesterday about 5pm. This morning about 3AM I woke up to tell my wife to begin to evacuate our new house as I thought a smoke detector was going off.

WRONG, the LED's on my LVA had drained the pack down to the alarm level and the LVA woke me up!

Needless to say I will be looking for BL or LVD on an ESC in the future.
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC poster
    I got mine last week and it doesn't have that......guess I got the older model with the newer body.

RC poster
    I just ordered a new summit, now I'm not sure if it will arrive with the new esc, with the lvc. I hate to have to send it back if it does not have the new setup for lipos. Has anyone contacted Traxxas about adding the new lvc upgrade to the old esc? I am sure there are going to be lots of disappointed customers, who think they are getting the latest model and end up with the OLD one without the lvc.

RC Qualifier
    I aplogize as I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere before, but I searched and can't find it

Can the evx2 handle 5s or not?

RC Enthusiast
    Depends on what 5s......Lipo, no........LiFePo/a123, yes.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah lipo. A 2s and a 3s at the same time

The ESC's do not know how many "cells" you are connecting. They can only determine how much voltage is connected. Im not sure what the MAX voltage limit for an EVX2 is... that would tell you weather or not it could handle 5S.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    *Subscribed.

Just ran with my LVA installed for the first time on the summit. I unplugged the batteries from the ESC (I had only drained the pack down to about 3.8V/cell ) yesterday about 5pm. This morning about 3AM I woke up to tell my wife to begin to evacuate our new house as I thought a smoke detector was going off.

WRONG, the LED's on my LVA had drained the pack down to the alarm level and the LVA woke me up!

Needless to say I will be looking for BL or LVD on an ESC in the future.
    Just a thought, but instead of worrying about getting a new ESC... why not just unplug your LVA when your done running? Its pretty much standard operating practice to unplug anything from your packs before putting the truck away.

Just a thought.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    Yeah lipo. A 2s and a 3s at the same time
    For what its worth, I found this yesterday while doing some searching....16.8 is the max volts according to the manual/specs and it talks about the 2s with 3s scenario...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...highlight=evx2
    Last edited by DadC14; 02-24-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Brainfart...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Just a thought, but instead of worrying about getting a new ESC... why not just unplug your LVA when your done running? Its pretty much standard operating practice to unplug anything from your packs before putting the truck away.

Just a thought.

Gee I never thought of that. Great insight.

This was the first run with lipos in the Summit so my first time using the LVA in an inclosed battery compartment. On my other models I can easily see the balance taps and this isn't an issue. I originally purchased the LVA to mount to my spec slash with the older XL-5 without LVC. I simply used hook and loop fastener to afix it to the top of the battery. Simple as can be.

Playing devils advocate, for those of us who run in moist dirty locations, what happens with the little electric buzzer on most LVA's gets some mud over the vibrating part of the sound emitter? Well in that case we may not be able to hear the buzzing/ beeping and we fry our packs.

The LVA is a cheap fix and a bandaid for a proper solution. I run them on my models without LVC, and even during madien runs with programmable ESC's so that I can verify the LVC is working properly.

LVA's have a function and a purpose but when someone gives you the option of a better tool for a job one would be a fool to not consider it.

Besides, I need to explain to my wife that I NEED a new ESC for safety purposes!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the pics ksb51rl and toyboarder. now we know how to tell them apart.

RC Champion
    cool, added on wish list
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by leadfingers View Post
    I just ordered a new summit, now I'm not sure if it will arrive with the new esc, with the lvc. I hate to have to send it back if it does not have the new setup for lipos. Has anyone contacted Traxxas about adding the new lvc upgrade to the old esc? I am sure there are going to be lots of disappointed customers, who think they are getting the latest model and end up with the OLD one without the lvc.
    I have talked to Traxxas regarding some who were upset their just-purchased vehicles were missing the new ESC or the new radio. It is not Traxxas's policy to perform retroactive updates. I.e. you get what you get at the moment of purchase.

RC Racer
    I might be the only one who understands that Traxxas can't do what we want: replace all EVX-2 with the LVA-version. Well, at a specific moment in time I look at an offer and I decide that this is what I want. So I buy it and I get what I paid for. Done. If I buy a harddisk and they replace it with a faster modell, I can't exchange it. If I buy a car and some days later they bring out a new model...you get the picture...

I want (no wife, no explanations needed) EVX-2 LVA for both of my summit and I try to sell my non-LVA. Such is life. As I said, I might be the only one who hasn't a problem with that

Of course, if I buy a new summit and get a non-LVA I might be mad but it didn't say "LVA" on the box so I still get what I pay for. I will wait and wait and wait and some day, there will be LVA on ebay or I even sell one of my summit to get e LVA-TQi just because I want.

Traxxas has a very strict language policy. A filter operates to convert inappropriate words to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit the inappropriate term.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-24-2012 at 02:08 PM.

I get it and I support the Traxxas policy. There will always be something better coming in the future. That's called innovation and progress. Those who come after pay for this, not those who came before.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DadC14 View Post
    For what its worth, I found this yesterday while doing some searching....16.8 is the max volts according to the manual/specs and it talks about the 2s with 3s scenario...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...highlight=evx2

Those are good threads but all theoretical it seems like. only one person I read has tried a 2s+3s setup with the evx2 and said it was fine, everyone else says 'it should work'. That's why I ask. I'm wondering if anyone who has the batts could give it a try.

RC Qualifier
    I have the EVX-2 with the LVA and I cant find any information on this thing.
    I'd like to know the factory low voltage pre set. Is it 3,2 volts?
    Can I adjust the setting like an aftermarket LVA?
    Is it automatically activated when the ESC is turned on?
    I've heard speculations, but no real answers (on other forums).
    My Karma runneth over your Dogma.

RC Champion
    what i was going to say earlier is the new evx2 with lvd only on models that has the TQ~i radio and the ones with the TQ link get the standard evx~2 because the trusty emaxx doesn't seem to have the lvd unless it just needs updating on the site.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
    I have the EVX-2 with the LVA and I cant find any information on this thing.
    I'd like to know the factory low voltage pre set. Is it 3,2 volts?
    Can I adjust the setting like an aftermarket LVA?
    Is it automatically activated when the ESC is turned on?
    I've heard speculations, but no real answers (on other forums).
    Traxxas has never given a figure for the cutoff on any other of their Low Voltage Detection-equipped ESCs. My guess is more like 3.4+ volts per cell.
    Traxxas LVD levels have never been user-programmable.
    With the other LVD-equipped ESCs, you turn the radio and ESC on. If the light on the ESC is red, LVD is off. If it is green, LVD is on. To switch modes, with the ESC on, hold the ESC on/off button down for 10+ seconds. A series of tones will sound and the ESC LED will change colors indicating a change in the LVD status.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post

Gee I never thought of that. Great insight.

This was the first run with lipos in the Summit so my first time using the LVA in an inclosed battery compartment. On my other models I can easily see the balance taps and this isn't an issue. I originally purchased the LVA to mount to my spec slash with the older XL-5 without LVC. I simply used hook and loop fastener to afix it to the top of the battery. Simple as can be.

Playing devils advocate, for those of us who run in moist dirty locations, what happens with the little electric buzzer on most LVA's gets some mud over the vibrating part of the sound emitter? Well in that case we may not be able to hear the buzzing/ beeping and we fry our packs.

The LVA is a cheap fix and a bandaid for a proper solution. I run them on my models without LVC, and even during madien runs with programmable ESC's so that I can verify the LVC is working properly.

LVA's have a function and a purpose but when someone gives you the option of a better tool for a job one would be a fool to not consider it.

Besides, I need to explain to my wife that I NEED a new ESC for safety purposes!
    True that. So long as you can make it sound like it's not just a frivolity, it's so much easier to get it through the gauntlet of 'why'. I convinced mine that if I didn't get the complete T-Bone kit my underside would be shot in a matter of weeks, and that I need the Lipo because Nimh are outdated and can explode, and at least with the Lipo you can somewhat contain any eventuality's with fire bags and ammo cans

I put a lot of effort into my purchase for the same reason man...I like all my ducks lined up. I want everything clean, factory, perfect as can be before I start putting miles on it...and simple. I cherish simplicity, as when you start adding extra steps that is when you forget things, and forgetting things can lead to very expensive, even dangerous mistakes.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I am intested in buying two of the new ESC's, so I'll subscribe to this post to see how it's done and how much, etc.
    Bash OR crawl? No, the Summit does it all!

RC poster
    I just spoke with Traxxas today about a tire issue on my Summit that I just purchased. After settling the tire/wheel issue I asked about the new Evx2. The rep told me that for $50 total you can upgrade to the new LVA by sending in your current ESC. Not sure if this was because mine was so new or that is just the standard. Bad news is theyre backordered right now through Traxxas.

That would be using the Lifetime Electronics Warranty. And unless all the non-LVD EVX-2's were out of stock, you likely wouldn't be assured of receiving the new version.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chardur View Post
    Here is the e-mail I got back.

Hello,

A part number has not yet been announced. I am sure it will be $180 like the EVX-2 though. I am unaware of any plans for a power up option from non LVD to LVD.

Best regards,
    Steve Lindholm
    Traxxas Customer Service

RC poster
    I just ordered a new Summit with the TQI transmitter, does that mean I will be getting the EVX 2 with the LVC?

RC Qualifier
    I don't care about trading in or any special deal, I just want to be able to buy 2 new ones with LVD.

Quote Originally Posted by leadfingers View Post
    I just ordered a new Summit with the TQI transmitter, does that mean I will be getting the EVX 2 with the LVC?
    Short answer: yes.

Quote Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
    I don't care about trading in or any special deal, I just want to be able to buy 2 new ones with LVD.
    Well, you could get one from a chop shop or wait until Traxxas fills the demand for new Summits and (I'm guessing) brushed E-Revos and E-Maxxes.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-25-2012 at 05:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I have talked to Traxxas regarding some who were upset their just-purchased vehicles were missing the new ESC or the new radio. It is not Traxxas's policy to perform retroactive updates. I.e. you get what you get at the moment of purchase.
    I get what you're trying to say but for me, well I was watching the Summit for a while before I got one and the thing that made me buy it was the new body coming out because I figured I was getting the newest version possible. It is upsetting to think that if I held off a little longer I could have had a new radio and LVD for the same price. In my opinion it seems a bit silly to release a new body so people like me who have been thinking about getting one decide the time is right due to the fact you're getting the newest version when the truth is in less then a month it will have new features and the price will be the same. I think if you have the new body they should replace your esc and radio for free if you the customer are willing to cover postage, I am a realist so I understand this won't happen and that's what leaves the sour taste in my mouth. Thanks Traxxas for updating the body but you could have timed it a little better so all the new features came out at the same time.
    Last edited by Summit Love; 02-25-2012 at 07:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I would be bummed too, had I just bought one and didn't get the latest tech. But since Traxxas doesn't make "model years" the way car manufacturers do, you wind up getting whatever's on the shelf, and they want to get rid of old stock first, for sure.

I'm hoping Traxxas makes the new ESC available for direct purchase from them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit Love View Post
    I get what you're trying to say but for me, well I was watching the Summit for a while before I got one and the thing that made me buy it was the new body coming out because I figured I was getting the newest version possible. It is upsetting to think that if I held off a little longer I could have had a new radio and LVD for the same price. In my opinion it seems a bit silly to release a new body so people like me who have been thinking about getting one decide the time is right due to the fact you're getting the newest version when the truth is in less then a month it will have new features and the price will be the same. I think if you have the new body they should replace your esc and radio for free if you the customer are willing to cover postage, I am a realist so I understand this won't happen and that's what leaves the sour taste in my mouth. Thanks Traxxas for updating the body but you could have timed it a little better so all the new features came out at the same time.
    Well said. I was actually looking to get one back in the middle of January, before the LVD/TQi stuff was even rumored. Glad I waited, but I feel bad for the people who got stuck with the transition models. I mean really, I'm a an accounting major and fully understand FIFO for sales and stuff, so I'm assuming this wasn't maliciously planned. My guess is, the bodies were completed before / quicker to transition to than the waterproof ESC and TQi rx. Considering there is still no stock anywhere for the base, telemetry / sensors I'm guessing production at the source isn't off the charts.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC poster
    Hi,

I need some presicion about this functionality. Since, the bec side discharge faster the other battery, how works the evx2 to detect low voltage ?
    - By average ? But a side could be more than empty another. It could be the bec side if the two batteries as well balanced or the other side if not well balanced.
    - By "two" LVD ? One for each batterie (maybe 2+3S is supported)

I don't see any informations about this (and my english is so bad... and there are so few resources in French)

Thanks.

I was curious about that as well..that will warrant some more research I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I'll let you guys know how close voltages are and such when ran down to LVC. My Lipo's should be getting here tomorrow, so probably by this weekend I'll get a run or two in. I have noticed the nimh's are pretty different at the end, as much as half a volt.
    P2de VXL - Summit