RC Racer

anybody planning on upgrading to the TQi and full telemetry?

I am curious if anyone is planning on upgrading to the TQi transmitter, receiver without or without the full telemetry?

RC Champion
    I have seriously considered buying the
    TRX6507
    TQi Tx 4Ch w/5Ch Rx and Docking Base

and control my ERBE with it. And then perhaps get a used Iphone 4 one day
    Slightly Addicted

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... yes I ordered all the parts from Hobby Town to go full telemetry, but Great Planes is having trouble getting new Traxxas parts, so it doesn't look like I'll get the parts anytime soon.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-23-2012 at 03:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    for the price of a tqi and ipod you could get a spektrum or airtronics with telemetry that is gunna be race quailty and faster responce time. personly the only thing i would want telemetry is the temp sensor on my nitro.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ross93 View Post
    for the price of a tqi and ipod you could get a spektrum or airtronics with telemetry that is gunna be race quailty and faster responce time. personly the only thing i would want telemetry is the temp sensor on my nitro.
    This might be true on the price part.... as far as response time, I doubt it. I bet the TQi is just as fast.

Also, I don't know if its gotten better, but I recall reading the telemetry on the spectrum systems didn't have very good range?

The Tqi doesn't have perfect range, it seems to drop out at 150-200 yards out... but its still pretty decent. (just the telemetry drops out, I'm yet to find the limits of the radio range)

RC Racer
    I doubt the tqi is just as fast.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by DustinBajaSS View Post
    I doubt the tqi is just as fast.
    why?

10 char

RC Champion
    Isnt the frame rate 11 on traxxas transmitters? IIRC some radios have a faster frame rates up to about 5. I really wish i knew exactly what that translated into as far as 1/10 of a second... Etc....
    Last edited by anr2442; 02-23-2012 at 02:20 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by anr2442 View Post
    Isnt the frame rate 11 on traxxas transmitters? IIRC some radios have a faster frame rates up to about 5. I really wish i knew exactly what that translated into as far as 1/10 of a second... Etc....
    Right, but in either case we're dealing with thousands of frames a second. Too fast to make a difference, its not like you could pick up a spectrum, and a TQi and tell any latency with either radio.

I thought I read traxxas put a pretty high frame rate on the TQi though.... but I'll admit I don't have hard numbers to back it up.

RC Qualifier
    I have an iPhone and want telemetry but I will not buy a TQi. I have not been happy with traxxas radios in the past and have moved on to a more reliable and cheaper solution. If the telemetry was universal I'd probably get it.

Thread has been cleaned up. Please stay on or close to topic.
    If you want to debate mobile devices, please do it elsewhere.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    i already have the tqi but not the gps or rpm sensor but i plan on getting it soon. yes i can only do temps now but i like it and it will be cool for ccl and the go pro app coming out soon
    sppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccceeeeeeeeee!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    traxxas 2.4 link radio is 13ms
    dx3s is 8ms
    mt4 is less than that
    idk if anyone could tell a difference

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    why?

10 char
    For the most obvious reason, if it was faster than everything else traxxas would go to no end to make sure everyone knew. And how many pros do u see using one? None

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DustinBajaSS; 02-23-2012 at 06:00 PM.

RC Qualifier
    i want it. its probably just as fast as any of the other ones before it. or faster. and i think the regular 2.4ghz is awesome. so the tqi can only be like captain insano.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I ordered a TQi #6507 a few weeks ago from Tower. Hoping they ship here in the next week or so.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    What is telemetry? When I bought mine for like ten more dollars I could have gotten the model with the TQi but I didn't even know what the TQi offered sounds like I should have just paid the extra coue of bucks

RC Qualifier
    i have the airtronics with spectrum and have had no problems with it untill reciently. now at full throttle, forward or reverse the throttle drops out randomly for split seconds at a time. i called Castle about it and they said it is mor than likely a radio issue, they told me to watch the light on the ESC and see if it is going yellow when this happens. well i just bought a GoPro HD camera so i straped it to my EREVO and recorded the lights on the ESC and sure enough around 175-200 feet it started dropping out, so i watched the video and the light goes from a flashing green (accelleration) to yellow (neutral) real fast randomly. i think i am done with airtronics radio, now that i sold my REVO 3.3 i don't use any of the fancy stuff it can do. i really only used the idle up button to help get my 3.3 warm. i ordered the TQi yesterday. hopefully it will get in stock and ship soon.
    REVO 3.3, shumacher fusion .21,TC4, ERBE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimbo2 View Post
    What is telemetry? When I bought mine for like ten more dollars I could have gotten the model with the TQi but I didn't even know what the TQi offered sounds like I should have just paid the extra coue of bucks
    With sensors you can get rpm, volts, motor temp all in real time displayed on a idevice.

There's a GPS module too, or you can fake it and calculate the rollout so that you get speed too.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So I did a lil research on frame rates.

Traxxas TQi says 13 ms rate.

The Spectrums have 3 settings, a 5.5, 11.x, 16.x.

So it appears if you setup the radio, you can use the 5.5 ms frame rate... which does sound a heck of a lot faster than 13... but I still don't think you can tell the difference while driving.

Shrug, I'll be using the TQi for a while, I like the telemetry, and I like the factory sensors that fit right on the models.

RC Qualifier
    i can't wait to get mine. COME ON TRAXXAS GET THEM OUT THERE
    REVO 3.3, shumacher fusion .21,TC4, ERBE

RC Competitor
    I just ordered mine. Now I just need to steal my wifes iphone when shes not looking so I can use it, he he

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC poster
    My E Revo came with it out of the box.

First thing it did was update the firmware of both the Rx and the Tx.

RC Qualifier
    The tqi isnt worth it for just telemetry... Iv had it on my spek for over a year now... Its never used. Ever.
    If you get a tqi its for the telemetry AND the ease of programming via iphone.