RC Racer

Please help me choose motor and kv

I was at the motorama event in Harrisburg this past weekend. I notice what all the big guy's were running. Most were using the tekin rx8 esc and 550 sized motors. I decided to go this route as well for my race slash. My only question is what kv rating to select. With a 550, there will be more torque, so it can swing a bigger pinion without the heat issues of 540's like the mambas. I will be running 2s almost exclusively. I am thinking something between 3400 and 4000kv. Any thoughts?

I would go for around 3700-4000 kv if all you will run is 2s.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    get a tekin pro4 motor 4000kv.... that is what im running on my slash 4x4 so much power.

RC Racer
    I havent looked into the tekin motors yet, i have heard good things about the novak balistics motors.

RC Enthusiast
    ya they are pretty good... ive seen some at the track. But i would still go with the pro 4 all of the way evan though it is expensive it is worth it. i spent $375 to like $410 when i got my new system ( tekin rx8 and tekin pro 4 with bullet connector wire ect...)

Also how do you put up new treads or like posts?
    thanks

RC Enthusiast
    wait never mind i found out how to do it.. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG23 View Post
    I havent looked into the tekin motors yet, i have heard good things about the novak balistics motors.
    I have a Novak SC 5.5! It is a quality motor! It is going in my Ultimate with a MMP very soon

RC Enthusiast
    All Novak motors are pretty good... ive heard really good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASBOY23 View Post
    All Novak motors are pretty good... ive heard really good things about them.
    I have had this motor for awhile. It's been in a few different trucks. Always does great

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have had this motor for awhile. It's been in a few different trucks. Always does great
    cool... i have only had my tekin pro 4 4000kv motor for a month and it is awsome it preforms... i cant evan explain how good it preforms. Alot of people have said that Novaks were really good how do you like your and what kv is it?

cool... i have only had my tekin pro 4 4000kv motor for a month and it is awsome it preforms... i cant evan explain how good it preforms. Alot of people have said that Novaks were really good how do you like your and what kv is it?
    I like it a lot! It is soo smooth and yet so powerful! Makes your truck a rock crawler and a speed demon all in one. With the MMP it has great low end power to crawl over things. It is 3700 kv.

RC Enthusiast
    ow ok that sound really cool. Ive only been in this hobby for a year and im pretty young so i dont know much about the hobby... but i know enought to get me by.

TRAXXASBOY, if you just read what is going on, you will get a whole lot of knowledge on these trucks. Try some things out. We are here to help you. So don't be afraid to ask questions. We are here to help. You can always pm me if you need to

RC Enthusiast
    K thanks... this Hobby is a money pit thought so it is hard for me to try new things with my car.. my dad calls it the Money Hobby.. lol
    thanks

money hobby is quite the understatement. i dropped nearly $300 yesterday for goodies for my slash. the night before i was thinking of just selling it...
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

It will bring you lots of enjoyment. It's an investment in happiness

i hope so... lol

but please don't use the word investment on an RC forum hahaha. we all know its a trap.

RC Enthusiast
    Haha ya... this one time i went to the hobby shop thinking i would only spend $50 and when i got out of the hobby shop i spent over $300 on upgrades... what did you get for your slash?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    money hobby is quite the understatement. i dropped nearly $300 yesterday for goodies for my slash. the night before i was thinking of just selling it...
    Haha ya... this one time i went to the hobby shop thinking i would only spend $50 and when i got out of the hobby shop i spent over $300 on upgrades... what did you get for your slash?

yesterday alone i got the MMP esc, 2 lipos, A-arms and a bunch of smaller $2-3 stuff. Bill was $310 now that i look at it. see its always more... haha

My lhs has a discount program. I also know one of the owners. He usually hooks it up

RC Enthusiast
    It will bring you lots of enjoyment. It's an investment in happiness
    I hope it does.. the first rc car i got was i nitro.. it was the worst decision i ever made.

RC Enthusiast
    My lhs has a discount program. I also know one of the owners. He usually hooks it up
    whats a lhs? and wow your lucky

i keep bugging the LHS across from work about putting me on the payroll for a couple hours a week free of charge so i can get the staff discount... they arent buying it.

RC Enthusiast
    yesterday alone i got the MMP esc, 2 lipos, A-arms and a bunch of smaller $2-3 stuff. Bill was $310 now that i look at it. see its always more... haha
    whats MMP? and haha ya i know lol

MMP = Mamba Max Pro

RC Racer
    Lhs = local hobby shop

RC Enthusiast
    MMP = Mamba Max Pro
    Ow ok thanks im new to this hobby as you can see... i have a tekin Rx8 esc and a tekin pro 4 motor

See you ask questions, you get true answers

RC Racer
    Ow ok thanks im new to this hobby as you can see... i have a tekin Rx8 esc and a tekin pro 4 motor
    How do you like the rx8? have you done any extensive tuning to it?

RC Competitor
    I run a Toro 4000kv system in my truck, and couldn't be happier. I started out geared 14/54 and the thing barely got warm, and the battery was outlasting my sons stock slash with the same type battery. Then I regeared to 14/50, and this thing is way better, and it is smokin fast running on 2's, and motor temps stay below 130. Last night just for the sake of saying I did it I ran a complete 5000MaH 40c 3's pack through it. Oh yeah baby, I thought it was going to launch. Temp only went up to 150.

For a motor ESC combo for under $150, I would say it's a good deal if it holds up to time, I just find it hard to spend $300 on a combo for a truck that I only paid $400 for brand new.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG23 View Post
    How do you like the rx8? have you done any extensive tuning to it?
    ya i have i wouldnt say i have done extensive tuning because there are sooo many different options. like you if you got the rx8 could get the tekin hotwire system and do evan more tuning on it. the option variety is amazing.