RC poster

Left batteries in oops

So I have a revo brushless and I accidentally left my lipo batteries plugged into it for a couple of months and now the revo does nothing, batteries charge just fine and when plugged into car it does nothing any suggestions

Do you have Castle link, plug in the ESC & see if it will link.

What are the Volts of the batts..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    I kinda did the same thing when i first got my ERBE... I was driving around looking for somehing fun to drive on had the batts plugged in the whole time got home with juice left in the batts. I forgot to unplug her,ate dinner sat down to watch the news about an hour and a half later maybe two and i heard a sizzle sound. I couldnt figure out what it was finally I smelled that electrical fire smell.....screamed NNOOOO! ran to my ERBE,ESC was on fire melted the top and was starting to go up.

I WAS BUMMED!!!! learned my leason the hard way.....$75 shipped to Castle replaced in two weeks very good service.

ALWAYS UNPLUG!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Is the switch on?

You laugh, but I thought my xo was dead the other day.... until DOH!

RC Champion
    It wouldn't matter if the switch is on or not, the ESC will still draw power and eventually drain the batteries. I really don't know why an ESC would fry with the batteries left connected though - that's not the first time I've heard of that...

[EDIT] I just started a thread over at "the other forum" asking CC why an ESC would fry just sitting there with batts connected. Hopefully they'll shed some light on this...
    Last edited by BrianG; 02-24-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I agree Brian, the ESC shouldn't care... in theory.

Assuming the batteries are good, I'd expect it to fire up.

RC Racer
    It shouldn't BUT it does I asked Castle the same question when it happened with my ESC and there responce was...It draws a minute bit off power even when off.....so it will drain them down then short them out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Right, I fully expect your batteries to be toast, we all know a ESC is never really off....

The big question though is why would draining the batteries damage the ESC?

RC Racer
    Thats the million dollar question...... Im guessing seeing as the esc completes the circuit....when the batts are down to almost nothing and they start to short out ecs goes with them????

Dont we have a electritian on this forum that could clear this up.

Now im getting confused....:/

RC Champion
    I don't see how an ESC would suddenly short out the battery if it gets to a certain minimal charge level. The battery should just drop off to 0v at some point (rather quickly too once it goes below 2.9v/cell).

Like I said in the RCM thread, if the problem was heat build-up due to the small off-current, the fan should kick on and take care of that if the switch was left "on". If the switch is "off", the quiescent current should be even less and therefore less chance of heat build-up.

If I was home right now, I'd hook a wattmeter to one of my ESCs and measure quiescent currents with the switch on and off. If I don't hear an answer from CC by this evening, I'll probably do that just to see...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The current in either on or off is going to be too small to generate enough heat to do damage.

RC Racer
    Looking forward to a responce from CC......If not please post your data....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    The current in either on or off is going to be too small to generate enough heat to do damage.
    That's what I think too, but something has to be happening to cause this phenomenon!

RC poster
    I'm using 2 11.1 lipos
    Last edited by Txboy; 02-24-2012 at 12:02 PM.

RC poster
    Also the crazy thing is the batteries seem to b okay they definitely have a charge and according to my charger they r ok, plus isnt the slightest bit of power enough to make it atleast do the start up beeps?

What are the Volts of the batts..

per cell
    cell #1 ?.??
    cell #2 ?.??
    cell #3 ?.??

could be a fluke... bypass the on /off switch just to be sure.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??