Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

4-Stroke ATV Motor guys....Questiom??

I have a 2000 Honda Rancher ES. Long story short. The past couple of months my ATV has had a hard time running at idle. So I drained the gas from the carb for winter. Well the other day my dog decided to go for a nature walk on her own across the rice patty by our house. Being we we're in a monsoon for a couple days it was wet. So I pulled the ATV out of the garage to go get her. I knew it wouldn't idle just enough to get it running and get this pooch. After about 5mins I got this thing to purr, I think I got the trash out of the carb and whatever was plugging it. So I'm good to go so where this is heading the exhaust pipe that comes off the head was turning bright red up to the 180 ehh a couple inches but not past the 180. Being it was later in the day close to dark this was more visible. I've owned this TOY all it's life and have never noticed this. Is the typical or anything I should worry about? No difference in performance or any sound of blockage. Cold this be a carbon buildup burning off?

Thanks.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 02-21-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    If its glowing red that means there is a restriction of some sort in the pipe somewhere .

Anyway to find out possibly where? Maybe a carbon build up over time? It has nearly 300 hrs and over 2200 miles.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    try taking the pipe off and blowing it out with compressed air, and possibly a stiff wire to poke it through.

Kewlness. I'll checK it out tomorrow evening if I ge a chance and report back to ya. Appreciate the help.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    If you can take out the spark arrestor from the muffler part I'd try that before taking apart the entire system. There could be something in just the muffler area... ???

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If it was running fine before you cleaned the carb, now your getting this problem, its probably nothing. 4 stroke exhaust headers get REALLY hot on every vehicle. It could be that because youve done some maintenance your only now paying closer attention and noticing this happening. Most exhaust headers have a small heat shield on them but since this ATV is older perhaps it didn't come with one.

I doubt it would be a carbon build up burning off... If anything it could be that the bike is running a bit lean and, therefore, hot after the carb clean out.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    A few things I recommend being a Arctic Cat 4 wheeler owner and a Honda 3 wheeler owner, First if you don't feel like taking your carb apart to properly clean it at least run SeaFoam in your gas tank I swear by it. The stuff kept me from rebuilding a 2005 Honda 450 Dirt bike carburetor it eats all the gunk away.

the second suggestion is make see if you can get the two bolts from the bottom of your spark arrestor out that is how you clear the muffler from carbon build up, might have to let them soak a day or so with PB-blaster the bolts in my 1985 Honda 250sx are frozen stuck I actually broke one off and just left the second one in.

The glowing red hot isn't normal, I play in the mud and sand pits here and hold the throttle wide open for hours and have never had a pipe get that hot before and mine is just air-cooled (Honda). How hot did the motor feel? Yesterday I fixed my Arctic Cats overheating issue and my legs would get hot when it over heated but my pipes never were glowing red. If you didn't notice any excessive heat from the motor try and replicate it, pay attention to temp sensor (if equipped) if the light comes on and if you feel excessive heat. I'm looking at schematic for a 2000 Honda Rancher 350 ES it is showing the cooling fan but not a radiator?, and a oil cooler, make sure your cooling system(s) is working properly, if you have a water pump check for flow, check for a blockage in the oil cooler (if equipped). Try to replicate and eliminate possible causes, good luck I will check back here later tonight to see if you found anything and I can possibly help any.

Hey thanks guys. It does have a heat shield on the left leg side of the ATV. I've always taken care of and done the maintenance to it. Yes it has a cooling fan. The motor didnt feel any hotter than normal. I may pick up a bottle of the seafoam and run it through. The fan did kick in after a few mins of idle. And has in the past kicked on during the summer during hours of riding.

I'm going to see if i can piddle with it when i get home tonight. I have to work on my little boys Power wheels 12v ATV. He stripped a gear in his. A couple weeks ago he took it out for a spin and it started making this god aweful noise, he brought it in to me and said Daddy it not working right. So he parked it in the garage and woulndt ride it till it sounded and felt right. Tell me if that is good for a 3-1/2 yr old. Most would have kept riding it until all the wheels fell off. LOL Well the part came in yesterday so i need to get him back on commission. His toy is more important than mine.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    I'm off to my college algebra class, SeaFoam is great for anything with an engine I use it in my auto's, 3 wheeler, 4 wheeler, sometimes I run lucas(cheaper) but I prefer seafoam for anything with a carb that has been sitting up like atv's

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Summit2 View Post
    I'm off to my college algebra class, SeaFoam is great for anything with an engine I use it in my auto's, 3 wheeler, 4 wheeler, sometimes I run lucas(cheaper) but I prefer seafoam for anything with a carb that has been sitting up like atv's
    Yep I run Lucas in my fuel almost every tank. I buy the big gallon jugs.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Ok guys I added a gallon of fresh fuel and an ounce of Seafoam to my tank. I also added 1-1/2 ouces to my oil. I ran my Rancher for over an hour. Didn't notice the exhaust pipe getting red at all.

I also got the kiddos going to. He was so excited, his has been down for a cople weeks.

Thanks for the help I'll lat y'all know if I notice anything new.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    That's good news, have fun riding, next weekend I will be ripping it up in the mud again and on the trails, our mud holes only open once a month. Lucas every tank could be over kill, I don't know what your puing it in but if it's in a gasoline engine good quality fuel has detergents in it to help keep fuel systems clean i.e chevron with techron, it has very minimal amount just enough to legally say it's added. As you burn fuel in essence your cleaning your fuel system. I use more additives in my ATV's due them sitting sometimes 2 weeks before I run them again and this new ethanol added fuel sitting for 2 weeks it looks like deer pee. I worked on a guys Polaris Ranger he let it sit for 2 weeks, coincedently his fuel pump went out. Bought a low pressure fuel pump from napa installed it, took a sample of his fuel in an empty clear bottle as I drained the tank and added fresh fuel when he came to pick it up I asked how long has his Ranger been sitting he said maybe 2 weeks his daughter drives it alot. I handed him the bottle I said this is what your fuel looked like, it looked like urine. He also sucked up a wasp that was clogging up his jets in the bowl, so he had a bad pump and trash in the carb after the new pump,cleaned carb, and fresh gas it ran like brand new.

I'm sorry I should have stated i put lucas in my vehicles every tank. My favorite gas stations are Chevron/ Texaco and if not any around Shell. I love the techron additive.

We're you saying not put that in my vehicles at every fill? I've never put it in my ATV. Never thought of it really.

BTW I work for ChevronPhillips. LOL.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    It's all about personal prefernce, is it needed that often? not really, are you satisfied with your performance and MPG? if so keep up what your doing. I'm doing a 2 year degree to work on auto's and today we were discussing additives and how frequent to use them, the Professor with 40+ years of working on cars/trucks made the statement about how he uses good fuel that has detergent additives so he doesn't use them very often. Both of his vehicles, Jeep Cherokee and a mini-van both have 300,000+mi on original engine/transmissions the reason they have lasted so long is just routine maintenance, he changes oil every 5,000mi, and other fluids as they should be.

Hey that's kewl. I'll probably slack off to every few tanks and see what happens. You are going into the auto industry, so you got the knowledge. Appreciate the help.

Good luck with the Auto Degree.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I had some issues with the carb a few weeks ago again. Took it to the local atv shop around the corner from work. A few hours later he cleaned the gunk out and had her tuned and running smooth again. I was going to do the work myself but didnt have time. Plus helps stimulate the economy. LOL

Anyways it hasnt run this good in years. I went ahead and placed an order for a K&N Air filter, Outerwears Cover, & a couple of K&N Oil Filters. I received the Air Filter and Cover Friday. I Installed it yesterday. Woohoo.

Now i'm back in action. We've been having a blast on it after I get off work.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore