RC Racer

Do you need a transmission in an rc?

Im in the hypothetical, blueprint planning stage of a electric go-cart. An adult power wheels so to speak.

Nothing has been bought, just ideas written down, nut my question is, do i need a transmission?

If i geared a pinion and spur low enough could i skip that part of the build?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Technically, no, you do not need a transmission. What it really comes down to is can you achieve a proper gear ratio without one. If so, you're fine with a 2-gear or sprocket setup. If not, you'll need a transmission to act as a gear reduction unit.

You need a method of connecting the motor/engine to the axle/wheels, so I would say yes. But maybe you can create a new way of doing it.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Actually, now i think about it. It would be an idea to have some kind of slipper clutch...

I was thinking of using two dewalt motors. I have an unlimited supply aluminum plate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RC Competitor
    A slipper clutch would only be needed if you have items in your drivetrain that cannot fully support the torque from the motor. I upgraded my nephew's PowerWheels from 540's (stock) to Dewalt's. Much better for a child in a plastic truck. However for an adult it will move you around geared correctly but it will be painfully slow and the kids will pass you on their PowerWheels. LOL You will need some type of PMAC motor for a feasible "gocart" or maybe even twin 1/5 scale brushless systems. Harry697 is correct and you could even further the gearing to a 4 gear/sprocket with 3 shaft setup (1st motor shaft, intermediate shaft with 2 gears, and final driveshaft). Let us know if ya ever decide to built it!

RC Champion
    Most I've seen are simple pinion-spur set ups on converted petrol go karts

You're really only limited by your imagination using the go kart platform

Quote Originally Posted by PBO View Post
    Most I've seen are simple pinion-spur set ups on converted petrol go karts

You're really only limited by your imagination using the go kart platform

That is insane! I wonder how long it lasts before it needs a recharge?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The Polaris Ranger EV will go 50 miles on a full charge. But it has 8 deep cycle boat batteries under the seat. It weighs 700lbs more than its gas powered equivalent the Ranger 400 and the 400 will run longer and faster on a tank of gas. With that said, driving the EV is very strange because its so quiet.

If im remembering correctly, most race karts with 6hp engines dont have transmissions. They use a centrifugal clutch on the motor much like a chain saw (or Baja 5B) and a single speed chain drive from the motors drive gear to the larger gear thats bolted directly to the axle. This is why they take off so slowly, but have such amazing top speeds for a 6hp power plant.

If you could gear it down low enough you could run direct drive on an electric cart too.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    My gas go-kart doesn't have a tranny at all. A torque converter, belt, and a chain connecting two sprockets together. Fairly simple, but with an electric motor you don't even need a torque converter.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    You need a method of connecting the motor/engine to the axle/wheels, so I would say yes. But maybe you can create a new way of doing it.
    You can connect a motor to the axle with nothing more than a pinion and spur gear, or a chain and 2 sprockets. Basically the same design as a pan car or even a 1/8th buggy. Neither have any type of transmission.

RC Qualifier
    Just run off the basic kart setup would be the way to go. I believe all transmissions are good for are gears, other than that why bother?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails