RC Racer

Is this the truck for me?

Im at the point where i need new batteries for the my emaxx. Its going to be to expensive so I was thinking to get a new truck that will only need one battery and break even with all of the costs by selling the emaxx. The truck that came to mind is the 4x4 pede. I did all of the pricing and Ill break even or could even make some money too. Before i do anything i want to make sure this is the truck for me. is the 4x4 similar to the 2x4 pede? Is there any suprizes i should know about the 4x4? Low maintenance? This truck would be my all around truck so i will be doing small jumps, road driving, some dirt, grass, and going over small rocks. I would be running 3s lipos also. Im guessing its durrable from looking at the bumper. I do very light bashing. Is it easy to work on, im used to working on my summit? The truck would mostly stay stock. Are there any must haves for this truck? Thankyou for the feedback.
    Stampede VXL, Stampede 4x4, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    nice I was just about to post something simlar I'll leach onto this one hahah
    6.25% /

RC Racer
    Also, how does the turning radious compare to the 2x4 stampede?

The Pede is very easy to work on! It is based on the Slash 4x4 chassis. Nine screws and you take apart the major pieces of the truck.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    It looks simple to work on. Does the 4x4 have a big truck feel or little truck feel like the 2x4?

For some reason my 4x4 Pede feels bigger than the 2WD, but it isnt. It is totally different truck. Not only because of the 4x4. Weight distribution is very different. I never regretted stepping up to the 4x4. My buddy owned an E-Maxx and I drove that quite a few times. I prefer the Pede. It is by far my most durable car. Maybe not the best performer, but its tons of fun.
    In the end it depends all personal taste of course...
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Racer
    Im guessing the 4x4 is not as nimble as the 2x4. Thats good for me if it feels bigger and different because i dont want it being exactly the same feel as my pede. How do you lower the body on the 4x4?

You can cut off a part of the body mount pins, or replace them with the battery holder hex shaped pins.

RC Racer
    Are the body mounts bolted on like the 2x4 slash or rustler to where you can get different height posts?

Quote Originally Posted by speedpede09 View Post
    Are the body mounts bolted on like the 2x4 slash or rustler to where you can get different height posts?
    Yup. Check the exploded views to see how they look.

RC Champion
    The pede 4x4 is by far a better choice over the 2wd. However the slash 4x4 is more durable. Mip X Duty axles or Tekno's are a must for this truck.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Champion
    everyone says the stampede is the most durable traxxas truck from stock..

I haven't been into this hobby long but I read a lot about traxxas and you're the only person I've ever seen say otherwise about the stampede

why is the slash 4x4 more durable?
    6.25% /

RC Racer
    The body protects the wheels on the slash.

RC Champion
    I have 3 stampede 4x4's and a slash 4x4 along with some others. The slash 4x4 is more durable. As Speedpede09 stated the body covers the wheels and electronics deflecting damage. The bumpers absorb the energy from impacts. Now I take ours to the skate park and various other bash sites and beat them. You can always hop the pede 4x4 up. But the slash 4x4 takes less hop ups to be durable than a pede 4x4.

RC Champion
    Don't get me wrong the pede 4x4 is a great truck and is much better than any other brand for it's type. I'm just partial...

RC Champion
    I see, both are quite tough

man I don't know what I want lol, I have nothing to do today so I've been looking a reviewing a lot of RCs.. Checking out the E-revo brushless, the Stampede 4x4 vxl, the slash 4x4 platinum and ultimate editions, and my main concern of durability in my google searches and you tube have led me to the savage flux hp..

what do you guys think?
    6.25% /

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GULLY View Post
    I see, both are quite tough

man I don't know what I want lol, I have nothing to do today so I've been looking a reviewing a lot of RCs.. Checking out the E-revo brushless, the Stampede 4x4 vxl, the slash 4x4 platinum and ultimate editions, and my main concern of durability in my google searches and you tube have led me to the savage flux hp..

what do you guys think?
    I went and bashed this weekend with a couple savages. I like them. But they are not as tough as people claim. They need lots of hop ups. If I have to worry about how many parts I'm going to break at the skate park, it's not worth buying.

RC Racer
    The 4x4 is alot easyer to carry around too. It can be a pain with the bigger trucks. What other must haves does the 4x4pede need?

RC Enthusiast
    I have a Pede 4x4 and a Slash 4x4. Both great trucks but the Slash 4x4 seems to hold up much better.
    Running 3s you will need lots of spare axles and yokes or get MIP or Tekno steel ones.
    You will need a fan on the ESC.
    You will need several spare wheel hex(s) or step up to the aluminum ones.
    You will need some spare shocks or shock parts.
    You will need a spare wheelie bar (from landing on current one).

RC Racer
    Do all 4 of the shocks have the same size shock bodies?

RC Enthusiast
    No. The front ones are shorter than the rear ones.

RC Racer
    i havent been into the hobby that long but from my experience, any short course truck will be more durable than a similar monster simply because the body protects the truck so much. also, the tire mass differences.

its nearly impossible to cartwheel a sct for example (at least with my 2s setup)

i have a slash 4x4 for which i am also building a slash mt setup. this way i can go back and forth with several small changes

so i'd say get a slash 4x4 and have an alternative setup for a slash mt and get the best of both. many feel that a slash mt handles better than a stampede anyway

the main benefit of the stampede vs a slash mt is easy wheelies on the pede.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Slash Ultimate, Slash 2wd MT

RC Racer
    I can get the 4x4pede to handle better for what i need it for. Ive gotton really good at suspension tuning so the 4x4 should be fine after i tune it. I can also use my 2x4pede things for the 4x4 also.