RC Competitor

can i put a dual batteries on a 1/10 slash using the parralel battery conector?

Hello, I have a traxxas slash and i was wondering if i could hook up an old stock 3200mah seven cell battery and a 5000mah six cell battery, together in parrellel so my run time is longer, will it hurt my velion esc or my motor? or have any other poblems with hurting the batteries?
    Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    different volt batteries shouldn't be put in parallel.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    different volt batteries shouldn't be put in parallel.
    well then can I put them in serries?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lancehank552 View Post
    well then can I put them in serries?
    No, the diffrent mAh will be bad on the ESC. The owners manual says do NOT min diffrent mAh batts. in the truck.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Actually yea, with nimh you could run series, but you'd be at 13 cells, which is higher volts than the esc will take.

RC poster
    No, if you run a 3200 mah battery and a 5000mah battery once your 3200 battery is dead and your 5000 has 1800 left, you will still be drawing power and will completely drain your 3200 battery and ruin it

long story short, when running a series or parallel connection do not mix different power levels (that includes Mah rating and Voltage rating) dont mix a 7.4v battery with a 11.2 volt

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Pop quiz vw, what LVC should you use on nimh batteries?

We always used to run our nimh batteries down all the way. Then charge 'em up.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Pop quiz vw, what LVC should you use on nimh batteries?
    are you really gonna pop quiz someone on a forum, someone who has access to google, someone who can take their sweet time to respond

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I sure am. I bet OG knows what I'm getting at already too.

RC poster
    Yeah, me too, you can run a nimh all the way down, but doing it over and over again will ruin the battery

I don't know the voltage but I suggest stopping once it starts getting slow.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    We always used to run our nimh batteries down all the way. Then charge 'em up.
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Chris View Post
    Yeah, me too, you can run a nimh all the way down, but doing it over and over again will ruin the battery
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I don't know the voltage but I suggest stopping once it starts getting slow.

See, then we're all agreed, there isn't a set low voltage limit on Nimh. We all agree running them completely flat is probably a bad idea, so one should quit running when the performance falls off.

If you're running 2 different packs in series, sure the smaller one will discharge a bit faster, but because we don't have to worry about a voltage limit on nimh's, unlike lipo.... its ok. Ok meaning quit running when you notice the truck slowing down... as the smaller pack is discharged, you'll see a noticable drop off in performance.

If the question was about lipos, it can still be done, but you'll want a separate low volt alarm on the smaller pack. Relying on the ESC's lvc is a bad idea if running mismatched packs. Its safer to just say don't do it, but the truth is you can.

RC Competitor
    Um... I've never tried it, nor will i probably ever, But they won't discharge at the same rate.... Essentially, you're running a 13 cell battery, but probably more like a ~4150mah battery... So you'll get more speed (probably) but less run time than a 5000, and probably the same or a little more than the 3200. But probably closer to the same run time considering you're toting around the extra battery pack(at higher speeds). But all that said, you're probably going to burn something up running 15.6v. likewise, there could be some problems internally in the batteries, kind of like all battery manufacturers urge you to not mix types of batteries or old and new batteries... because they can over heat and melt down. So, you could probably do it, it would probably work a few times, but don't expect your batteries to last for more than a few charges.

RC Qualifier
    You can run SERIES but not parallel.
    You cannot run those packs in series in your truck though - its too many volts.

If you were to run them in a truck that can take 13cells, its wont hurt the batteries at all as long as you stop before its crawling.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Right chapinb.

Also capacity doesn't add in series, and since we don't want to nuke the small pack, it's like a 3000 mah pack.