RC poster

Hello all, I'm the new guy!

Hello Traxxas community!

I'm excited to be here. I bought my FIRST hobby grade R/C Saturday, the Slash 4x4.

Needless to say, I'm already overwhelmed and intimidated. I think I made a great purchase decision, but I'm a little pressed as to where to go from here. I will be headed to the track this weekend for my first ever taste of racing (or at least track driving), and I just wanted to pick your brains a bit and get you to give me any tips or pointers that will help a noob like myself be successful and happy in the hobby.

I already broke an A-arm and popped a shock - that's what I get for forgetting about training mode prior to let the 6 year old neighbor kid do a bit of bashing, but I quickly realized that working on my truck is just as fun as running it! I read the stickied comment for set-up help, and I'll definitely be starting there before head to the track.

The things I wish to know more than anything are:

a) Which parts tend to break most? I'd like to have a decent warehouse of spare parts for unfortunate events that may occur.

b) Which modifications or aftermarket parts make the most difference in durability and performance? I don't mind things breaking, because I get to fix them, but I would like to avoid costly repairs as much as I can. Also, I ultimately want my truck to be rugged enough to withstand anything I throw at it (within reason, of course).

Any other tips, tricks, or pointers you care to throw at me would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!!!

-James

RC Champion
    Welcome to the addiction. Go RPM as parts break and have fun...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Competitor
    You made a good choice with this truck. For me the axles were a weak point. A little pricey, but I went with the MIP's which I installed earlier today. Till now I'm very impressed with these axles. I also like the fact that they added some weight to what i thought was a very light truck. Also went with RPM front and rear bumpers along with the A Arms. Some would say replace parts as you break them. I on the other hand stock pile all my spare parts as back-ups in case anything breaks. Motor mount seems to be another item folks are upgrading.

All in all these trucks are sound, and take a **** of a beating. In most cases for me it's the silly crashes that end up breaking something. Don't be to quick to say working on them is fun. Before long you will be spending countless hours working on it and your feelings on the issue may change.

1 more thing if your truck is not equipped with sway bars already, that to me was a great upgrade for a fair price.
    Last edited by JoePit; 02-21-2012 at 05:55 PM.

RC Racer
    second the sway bars. Some trenchers for bashing in the dirt go along way too.
    From parts UNKNOWN

To me you need Mip X-Duty axles, an aluminum motor mount and bearing adapter.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    RPM products-A-arms, bumpers..
    Proline Powerstroke shocks, good for wheels and tires also
    STRC motor plate, shock towers..
    King Headz Motor mount, bearing adapter
    Gens Ace Lipos
    if you get tired of the stock system, castle creations is a good maker for motors and esc's
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

RC Racer
    Welcome! I have had a Slash 4x4 for a couple of weeks now and have broke 3 of the 4 wheels off it already on the track. I highly reccomend upgrading to the alum c-hubs and like stated, as things break, replace with RPM. Lower the stock set-up by moving the shocks outward on the a-arms, and get ya a fan for the ESC. Lipo's are a huge improvement over the NiMh stock batt and let it rip!

RC Qualifier
    Ditto all the advice above.
    For axles, look closely at the Tekno's. they give you a solid upgrade on axles, hubs, and bearings all in one.
    http://www.teknorc.com/product_info....b4be4aa82a780b

Read up on the sticky at the top of the 4x4 section... Slayden suspension setup. The spring change, and the setting of pins in the recommended holes is a cheap first step.
    No rush, the car is fantastic and fun straight out of the box.

Other people driving your car can be very destructive and expensive. I've learned to give solid warnings to "go slow only"...
    get your own car if you wanna go fast and wreck it. I'm amazed how some people don't care about tearing up your stuff. I'm still replacing parts from what I let one knucklehead do for 15 minutes at a track. I was under the impression at the time that the car was nearly indestructable... heavy abuse does take its toll.

Ohhh.. it is water proof, but heavy water takes a toll on the bearings...
    If you like water, you'll be needing ceramic bearings from bocabearings.com

I'm impressed with the JConcepts overtray to help keep things clean...

http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=371
    Last edited by KewlToy; 02-21-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    Warning: BAD PERSON-10pt infraction for trolling

RC Champion
    If you want to see some hardcore beatdowns of the slash 4x4, just check my youtube channel out. The slash 4x4 doesn't require half the upgrades most suggest to be tough. It's a slash 4x4 and loves pain... I carry a book bag full of spare parts. You never know when things are going to break. I let others drive my car all the time. If it breaks I don't expect them to pay for it. Would be nice if they offer. It's one way to get others interested.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    I would stay away from aluminum shock towers, once they bend they are trash, go with rpm shock towers, i have them and god these things are indestructible!

RC Champion
    Get the integy heatsink with fan for your motor and the traxxas esc fan, those would be the first thing I do, so your motor doesn't get hot. Then buy a lipo ( go with a 2s to start) then move to 3s. RPM a-arms all around. Then after these minor upgrades, start going big( like MIPS,better tires possibly trenchers, and do the traxxas aluminum c hubs rear hub carriers and stuff like that that already comes with the ultimate. Welcome to the hobby, I like to call it a money pit! But there is nothing wrong with spending money on something you like and enjoy!
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    i would stay away from integy products. they use cheap soft aluminum. the heat sink/fan IMO is ok but thats really it. i would also go for the kingheadz motor mount and bearing adapter, mip's as others have said, titanium nitride shafts for the shocks, aluminum shock caps, RPM shock towers, RPM arms, lipos, mmp 2400 when the time comes and maybe the STRC bellcrank

RC poster
    This community is awesome! Excellent to see I'm being given great advice from the first post!

Now I get to write all this down and try to sort which upgrade to get first!

Thank you all so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

Don't get the dual fan setup! It will overload your bec and the truck will stop running.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier

This should help you out, A LoT

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Don't get the dual fan setup! It will overload your bec and the truck will stop running.
    i run the single, i love it. I was going to buy a dual one, thank god i didnt
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Racer
    Thanks for the tip, Ill stick to the singe one too!