RC Qualifier

My summit has been great with LIPO.

Got my Summit over a month ago running on 6 TRaxxas NiMh batteries.
    Initially, I didn't want to use LIPO batts since i didn't want to spend too much time taking care of them.

Well, not really impressed with the performance of the car with NiMh batts, last Monday, I got my 4 lipos
    30C 2s (I also had to buy the Sentry Firesafe to store them at home) and lipo dual charger and it has been great fun.
    Alot of wheelies, and forward flip until the diff stripped. Well, while waiting for the parts to come, i do backward flips, and it does flip very well on the dual lipo batts in parallel.
    Now, my 6 NiMh batts will collecting dust

Just wanted to share my excitement, thanks for reading.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Ah.... and some don't believe us when we say:

"Once you go LiPo, your NiMh's will collect dust"

Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    just dont run them in series!
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Slash Ultimate, Slash 2wd MT

RC Qualifier
    I'll keep the NiMh batts for running in wet condition since it's supposed to be more sealed.
    I never run any batts in series since i don't know what kind of MOSFET transistors were used in the ESC. Traxxas spec says we can run up to 3s lipo, on some other places, theyalso say that it can be run with 2 7.2 batts in series?!
    So what exactly the max Voltage input requirement for this VXL-3m ESC?

Moreover, I am mostly into jumping/flipping so i need more amps, not voltages.
    Last edited by hskb; 01-29-2012 at 12:50 PM.

RC Competitor
    I really just couldn't imagine much more power & speed with this thing on the stock battery. Why not just run NiMH in series rather than messing with lipo?

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    I really just couldn't imagine much more power & speed with this thing on the stock battery. Why not just run NiMH in series rather than messing with lipo?
    1. Weight.
    2. Capacity.
    3. Discharge rate. (Punch)
    4. Charge time.
    5. Longevity.
    6. Price.
    7. Value.

Anybody want to add to the list?
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    1. Weight.
    2. Capacity.
    3. Discharge rate. (Punch)
    4. Charge time.
    5. Longevity.
    6. Price.
    7. Value.

Anybody want to add to the list?
    I would love to!

2S LiPo's (or even 3S) are not as hard on the electronics as two NiMh in series; yet produce more consistent results.

RC Competitor
    Fair enough! I just don't want my 5 year old messing with lipo battery & charger. He has the charging, install & removal of parallel NiMh all figured out. I guess I will get two 2s to run in parallel as well and just take care of all the charging and changing the ESC for him when I swap out batteries.

Assuming all specs are the same, is it worth getting the Traxxas lipo vs. some of the less expensive ******* or ***** I see on ebay? Any better prices other than ebay?

That is a matter of personal preference.

I, myself, chose to get *****'s and have not had a bad experience with them.
    BUT, I do not have other LiPo's to compare them to.

RC Qualifier
    I have a 5 yr-old girl, and a 3 yr old boy, but I don't allow them, ever, to touch the charger or any outlets for that matter, let alone charging a lipo battery. (and this is one of the main reasons i want to stay with small rc cars)

Well, however, my 3 yr old boy managed to destroy the woofers in my High Resolution studio monitors by poking dust cover on the woofers with his toys

can't get enough toddler proofing

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Fair enough! I just don't want my 5 year old messing with lipo battery & charger. He has the charging, install & removal of parallel NiMh all figured out. I guess I will get two 2s to run in parallel as well and just take care of all the charging and changing the ESC for him when I swap out batteries.

Assuming all specs are the same, is it worth getting the Traxxas lipo vs. some of the less expensive ******* or ***** I see on ebay? Any better prices other than ebay?

My son runs two Lifepo4 Maxamps 9.9v 1050 packs in parallel. They run great and you can charge them quickly, run them down, and get extreme speed without the explosion/fire hazards of Lipo. Great for a 10yro.

RC Qualifier
    Try 4s LIPO today (2 2S in series) and the summit is almost uncontrollable with 55/12 gearing.

RC poster
    What is a good charger for the lipo

RC poster
    How do you guys keep this thing from spinning out? If the wheels aren't perfectly straight, you can't accelerate at all without it flipping. I'm just using 1 2s lipo so nothing fancy. I'm coming from an mini erevo some maybe I'm just spoiled.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by riojonhson View Post
    What is a good charger for the lipo
    I use Onyx 245 -$120 shipped. It is a dual charger with all the goodies included (power supply built-in, traxxas/Dean connectors, Balance boards) and ready to charge. It can take either AC or DC powers. You can charge 2 batteries at the same time (NiMh, Lipo, and others). It can provide 80 Watts for the 2 chargers, so it charges a little slower than other high end ones, but it's easy and simple to operate.

RC Qualifier
    slasher9, I am more interested in flippings, wheelies than speed running, so the more out-of-control, the more fun for me.
    If you want more speed with higher voltage inputs, you can change gears (but with the caution of burning the esc or motor)

RC poster
    If it just spun, that would be fine. But I can't even drive it. Not to mention it keeps flipping over, so I have to go get it to turn it back over.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hskb View Post
    (I also had to buy the Sentry Firesafe to store them at home)[/B]
    You do know that you have a house full of lipo batteries?

Laptops
    Cellphones
    Some batteries like AA, AAA, etc
    Drill/other power tools
    Etc...

I was worried at first also, until I realized exactly how many lipos I have laying around the house already. At that point I thought what the heck, whats one more lipo in the house lol.
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Racer
    Ya most of THOSE lipos are in fact not Lipo but Li-Ion (lithium ion)
    not as dangerous