RC poster

Issues with dewalt summit

I did the 14.4 dewalt swap in my summit. I am having some issues with the leads not staying soldered on. 3 different people have tried soldering them as well and I get 4 to 5 runs out of it before the break off. I know there are a ton of dewalt topics already and I looked through them for help on everything else but did not see anyone having this issue. I am running 18T pin and 54T spur. The motor gets warm but it is not overheating. If I drip some water on the motor it does not sizzle and it just runs off so I dont think the solder is melting. I have looked at some high temp. solder online and just wondering if anyone has used this before or am I not getting a good enough connection on the motor. I am running 2s batteries that are 5200 MAH 30c. I have had it come off using stock batteries as well. Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You agree geared SUPER high. The motor can may not be getting extremely hot but my guess is the brushes are getting that hot and melting the solder.

However, you can tell if this is happening as you'll see the solder look like it was melted... if it looks broken off, its a bad solder joint. If it looks melted off (more rounded edges on the 2 halves) its been melted.

The highest I've ever heard a person gear a dewalt summit was 20/68... which is a ratio of 3.4... your running a radio of 3.0... IMO thats just too high.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    That's a very high gearing! Like pavmetsurfer said it's too high.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    his gearing is 43.35 low and 15.66 high

and your gearing is 49.13 low and 17.75 high to be more precise.
    custom summit crawler parts lol

RC Racer
    i run a 20/62 and I don't have any issues, motor gets warm but never had it solder come apart. also running lipo
    Your signature is not appropriate Please change it

RC poster
    The motor never gets that hot and sometimes it will come loose 2 minutes into the run and other times I will run for 40 minutes before issues and its always the same style of driving.

RC Qualifier
    I just used some female connectors, soldered the wires into them and have had no problems over a year now .
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

Silly question: what kind of solder was used?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Are you using a powerful enough iron.make sure there is no contamination.tip is clean, pre tin the wire. Pre tin the brush tab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    Just did connectors and had the same issues I am thinking I have a bad motor

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Silly question: what kind of solder was used?

it could be the solder
    custom summit crawler parts lol

RC Competitor
    I would look into making sure it is really clean. Also, make sure the solder is completely melted AND you do not move the wires until the solder has solidified.

Use a 200W solder gun. Or, I have had good results with my Hakko soldering station set to 800F (I soldered 10awg the Dewalt brush holders)

RC poster
    it was a bad bearing in the motor causing it to fail on me now. I have seen all the threads about the dewalt motor swap but what motor number has been the best or what drill did it come from. People that did swap whats the number on your motor. Thank you. I found 4 or 5 different numbers and did not find results of how long they last or which one is the best when it comes to the 14.4.

RC poster
    The 14.4V Dewalt Motor is known as 396505-21 or 579724-04

Newest # is 396505-21SV. IDK what the difference is between it and the 396505-21.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Theres a few different numbers for 14.4V motors, about 8 that i've counted for the newer style, some are revised numbers.I don't know why there revised, or what the numbers mean, mine is 396506-11.
    I can only guess that the last digits are timing degrees don't know what letters mean.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC poster
    thanks how long have you had your motor. I want to find one that will last longer than a couple of weeks.

RC Champion
    about july 2011 I've looked for my motor online as i was planning on a dual last year but I can't find one with the same number, Dewalt won't tell me what the numbers mean. The motor was taken straight from a drill so i know its 14.4V The only thing that could be different was mines out of a hammer drill and the others might be for the drill driver.

RC Champion
    just checked my pics it was early April.

RC poster
    are you using flux with the solder? if not try that.

RC Competitor
    Just an FYI...

Recently I decided to try out the new snow chains I made. My Summit was set up with the Dewalt 12v, 20/65 gearing, dual 2s 65c 6000mah batts.

I was bashing in the snow and then, suddenly, it stopped moving. No throttle response! And the lights were flickering.

After taking the body off, I could see that the power wires from the esc had desoldered from the brushes. This has never happened to me.

Upon inspection, I saw that the solder melted and dripped right down the brush holders. I tested each electrical component and found that all three 20 servos were dead(I didn't check me services before running so I don't know if the loose power leads caused the problem).

Two of the servos were completely dead (the diff ones). And the tranny servo just whined loudly and would not move. All the electronics seem to be ok and I replaced all three servos.

Corrective Actions:
    1) changing to a taller gear ratio
    2) putting in a castle BEC to the Rx (I don't know if the isolation of this circuit will provide more protection or not)

Future considerations:
    - try to disassemble the brush holder and braze the power wires on. (don't know it this would even work)
    - say screw it and put in a brushless and Castles new MM2 waterproof esc.

Here's a video of the little bit of bashing I did to melt the wires off(only the good parts were shown in this video)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L1wTzjH...e_gdata_player

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-18-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Content