Hybrid View

RC Competitor

Minor Summit Mods...

I made a few cosmetic changes and thought I would share. I used the "easy off" method to strip the chrome off the wheels. I think they look pretty sick. I just have to decide whether I like the complete black look or the green beadlock look. The other thing I did was drill holes in the stock roof lightbar and install some green LED's. I figured the stock lights do a pretty good job at lighting up the area around it so I thought the green would at least look cool. What do you think?

Next on my list is to strip all of the blue anodized parts and re-anodize them black.
    You can drive my car, but there's a $500 deposit.

RC Qualifier
    interesting look for the wheels. looks a little more meaner....
    works better without the beadlocks and looks like aftermarket wheels.

hmmm.... wonder if anyone has done a full matt black conversion before?

RC Competitor
    Hi,
    very pretty mods. you've done there.
    Cl Summit.
    can you explain the : (I used the "easy off" method to strip the chrome off the wheels.) how, you do-it please, i would be interested if not to much hard to do-it.
    Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The wheels look SO much better in black. That was my biggest reason for moving to desperadoes. I just could not stand the chrome.

I prefer the all black look.... but am NOT going to tackle stripping the entire chassis down to dye it black on my truck. I can live with just the body and wheels in all black.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Those beadlocks looks great on those wheels...
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    that looks very nice.. ill probably try that. if your going for less chrome strip the front light bar.. i think it improves the looks a million times better.. another mod that helps prevent getting snagged on stuff and looks a lot better is shave off the little nubs on the front bumper. if your curious to see what these mods look heres a photo..

custom summit crawler parts lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by summitcrawler View Post
    that looks very nice.. ill probably try that. if your going for less chrome strip the front light bar.. i think it improves the looks a million times better.. another mod that helps prevent getting snagged on stuff and looks a lot better is shave off the little nubs on the front bumper. if your curious to see what these mods look heres a photo..

What wheels are those? Which trenchers are those, x or normal? Where can those wheels be had? I'd eat my own foot for a set of those, man they're nice looking.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Racer
    Did you paint the rims black or sprayed the rims with plasti dip?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post
    What wheels are those? Which trenchers are those, x or normal? Where can those wheels be had? I'd eat my own foot for a set of those, man they're nice looking.
    they are regular trenchers mounted on axial 8 spoke beadlocks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey560 View Post
    Did you paint the rims black or sprayed the rims with plasti dip?
    i believe he stripped the chrome.

RC Racer
    If he did strip the chrome i would like to know what he used to strip the chrome. I want to black out my rims too.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey560 View Post
    If he did strip the chrome i would like to know what he used to strip the chrome. I want to black out my rims too.
    i believe he used "easy off".. its an oven cleaner. google it. i have some and i just got my stock wheels out so i will be doing this and ill make a video.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by summitcrawler View Post
    they are regular trenchers mounted on axial 8 spoke beadlocks

i believe he stripped the chrome.
    Those look absolutely amazing. Not cheap, but they look to fit perfectly.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post
    Those look absolutely amazing. Not cheap, but they look to fit perfectly.
    thank you very much! yea not cheap but very worth the money. i absolutely love them.

RC Competitor
    Any tips on how to use the easy off? I'm trying it now and have sprayed the rims like 5 times and it's not really coming off looks like a bunch of chips.

RC Competitor
    I have noticed that the older "chrome" wheels only take a few minutes to strip with easy off, however the newer wheels (like the stock summit) take quite a while.

I would spray them and put them in a ziplock bag to trap in some fumes. I would leave them for an hour or so then would scrub with an old toothbrush then reapply. I repeated this process throughout the day. It did take a while but didn't require too much attention.

RC Competitor
    Yeah my wheels are from a summit with am radio. I just finally gave up and left them overnight and they were pretty much stripped. But now they have a white residue that I can't hardly get off. Used soap and tooth brush but once they dry you can still the residue.

RC Competitor
    I think the key is to keep them "wet" (with easy off). After all the chrome was removed I do remember a bit of white residue. I just sprayed them with wd40 and buffed them a bit. That cleaned them up really nice.

One thing I have done on other black wheels that I have stripped was to use a scotch brite pad to give them a matte look. Again wd40 removes the white powdery look. Also looks petty good.
    Last edited by Smittyz; 03-05-2012 at 06:16 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the tip I will have to do that thanks again

RC Enthusiast
    Just got my green Summit, made my shopping list, and ready to have some black wheels. Love the look! Will post some pics of the process if you all want.

RC Competitor
    Sure why not.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, here she is! Took most of the day like Smittyz said it would but definitely worth it. Had to reapply the Easy-off multiple times as well as use WD-40 for the removal of the white residue in the end. Only issue I had was some of the tires were starting to lose there glue. Will have to glue them to fix that but no issue. Other than that happy with the end product!

Thanks again Smittyz for the idea and how to...

RC Qualifier
    Looks sweet cba I'm doing mine one a yellow summit tonight!
    E-maxx 3903
    GraveDigger BL power
    Slash CC SCT

RC Racer
    nice i may want to do mine on this yellow summit i have. with these chrome rims on here i feel like i should get some gold chains and start listnin to rap!

RC Qualifier
    Chrome don't get you home, as us Jeepers say! I'm debating if I want to plastidip mine or do this.
    Last edited by TraxxasSummitCrawler; 02-21-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E