RC Competitor

Velineon 3500 Cogging / Dead Spot

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 2wd stampede and bought a brand new Velineon System (3500 motor / 3s ESC) and put it in with no issues. Only ran it 2-3 times this winter and never heated the motor much at all.

I soon decided to get a Stampede 4x4 roller and swap everything into that truck. So I now have it all together and the motor seems to have some bad low speed cogging. Also, there seems to be "dead spots" in the motor where if I can slowly go from 0% to 100% throttle and the motor will never even move. I can hear it twitch when I first move the throttle, but if it doesn't move at first, it won't move at all. If it's stuck like this, you can either roll it a little by hand, or repeatedly pin the throttle and it will move just fine. If it's rolling, there is no issues at all. Also, it doesn't seem to do this as often in reverse.

I never had this problem with the 2wd. I'm currently running trenchers all around and 13/54 gearing... the rest is stock. I don't expect the gearing would be the problem? Any ideas??
    Slash 4x4 (LCG/Sidewinder 8th/XO-1 Axles), SC10 RS

RC Qualifier
    From what I understand you need to run a smaller pinion with the trenchers since they are kinda heavy. I was running a 13/54 with stock tires on 3s LiPo and found things getting a little warm so I went back to the stock 11/54 gears for now. I also use an esc cooling fan and a heat-sink on the motor with a fan as well.

As for your motor I have no idea since I am still kinda new to this hobby.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

Make sure the magnet hasn't come loose from the main shaft in the motor.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Make sure the magnet hasn't come loose from the main shaft in the motor.
    thats what it sounds like to me. Motor overheated and the rotor has split or come unglued from the motor shaft.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tore down the motor and everything looks fine. Motor is tight on the shaft, no signs of cracking or heat or rotor slippage on the shaft (This motor has only been run a few times and in a 2wd truck with very low gearing - I don't think it ever saw over 120deg).
    I threw in a 11T pinion and it does seem to help somewhat. I no longer can find a spot that Full Throttle won't finally make it move, but it does still seem to cog pretty badly and it does seem to find a dead spot. Something strange though, is that is seems to get this way after being run for a while. If I turn the ESC off and back on, it seems to get better, but then worse later. Could it be the ESC? If I swapped in my Reedy motor from my SC10, do you think I would get the same results if it was the ESC??

You most likely would.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Competitor
    I sent the motor/esc back to Traxxas today. Thanks for all the feedback!

Anyone know the turnaround time on warranty claims??