RC Racer

Shock help (No rebound)

So I recently changed the shock oil only on my rear shocks because they weren't rebounding very well. I upped the weight from the stock 40w to 60w since I will be mostly onroad. I also ordered a VDK last night and plan to get new springs. I'm wondering if both of those things will get it to rebound again. From what I've read and seen I think I'm going to do orange in the front and gold in the rear. Should I keep the 40w in the front or change that to 60w as well? Just need some opinions and ideas. Thanks in advanced!

RC Champion
    Did you check how tight pillow ball adjustmet screws are in the axle carriers? (im not sure what there called) If them screws are to tight, it will bind up the movement of the shocks and may not let the car rebound. It can also make for sluggish steering if the screws in the front axles are to tight.
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

Quote Originally Posted by Foxprogt View Post
    Did you check how tight pillow ball Caps need adjustment screws are in the axle carriers? (im not sure what there called) If them screws are to tight, it will bind up the movement of the shocks and may not let the car rebound. It can also make for sluggish steering if the screws in the front axles are to tight.
    He is correct ^ & they are called Pillow ball (CAPS), they need backed off they are to tight...... The cap should just lightly touch the Pillow ball..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    All I can say good luck on the rear rebound I just broke both shock caps on a mild jump so I again changed the shock oil 1st time 50 2nd time 70 this time 70 weight installed the vdk with #2 sill no rebound this is with blue springs in the rear I'm done messing with it
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

^Wait what rockers are you using?

RC Racer
    I havent checked that only because everything seemed fine and I only changed the shock oil because I will mainly be onroad and wanted thicker oil. I didnt mess or change anything else except the oil in the rears and now no rebound. I will double check them though when I get home just to make sure.

Another thing I ran into when I was installing my Mamba system was that the instructions showed the pinion going on with the grub screw going in first (if that makes any sense) but I tried that and lined everything up and the gears didn't quite line up. I flipped it around and it lined up much better. Don't know if I was doing something wrong. I didn't fully install the motor I was just messing around with it before I had to leave.

RC Qualifier
    Using the Progressive 3 rockers with the black push rods no spacers

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    He is correct ^ & they are called Pillow ball (CAPS), they need backed off they are to tight...... The cap should just lightly touch the Pillow ball..
    Actually, its called a PIVOT BALL.

RC Racer
    Im using p2 rockers with red push rods with spacers but don't think that really matters

RC Qualifier
    If nothing is causing binding, shouldn't the only factor be the springs and preload? If your springs are shot....you don't got no rebound! If your springs aren't preloaded at all.....you don't got no rebound! Just my 2 cents.

Check for binding everywhere first. Are the bearings on the rocker posts in good shape?

RC Qualifier
    the shock oil weight and shock pistons will affect the rebound as well....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeJake View Post
    the shock oil weight and shock pistons will affect the rebound as well....
    Kinda addressed that already... Also, the shock oil weight and pistons only affect the rebound rate, not whether or not the shocks rebound. So I guess Biggie should clarify....

Are your shocks rebounding too slowly or are they not really rebounding at all? (or not as much as it seems they should)

RC Racer
    Very SLIGHT rebound, not much. The front is all stock minus the sways but they rebound great, but then again I didnt change the oil in them. Actually I think I might do that right now

RC Qualifier
    Biggie, if you adjust the shocks to have a lot more preload(screw the adjuster ring toward the rockers), do the shocks show more rebound?

RC Racer
    It does rebound ever so slightly more but not a huge difference

RC Qualifier
    I has having a bit of the same problem recently. I put on the "purple" rate springs and that helped a bit.

RC Racer
    Is the purple the thickest you can get for 90mm? Is it too much? I read somewhere that the springs more effect your ride height than anything else. I dont know if thats true or not?

RC Qualifier
    The location of the pushrod(is that what we call it? brainfart.) in the A arm has the biggest impact on ride height. Stiffer springs will result in not only faster/more rebound, but also less sag(more rebound). If you pick the truck up and drop it onto a hard surface from 6" up, where ever the truck sits after everything has settled is the sag. The purple springs will give you the least sag, depending on preload. With the preload all the way out on the purple springs, you'd probably get the same amount of sag/total rebound as you would with the blue springs preloaded 25% more than all the way out.

I believe the purple is the highest spring rate you can put on the GTR's.... I don't think it's too much, but I like to jump a lot!

RC Racer
    See I really wont be jumping...at least not for now. Mostly just messing around on the asphalt either speed runs or messing around with some cones. I'm just unsure of which springs would go good with 60w.

I thought the blue springs were for the 120mm rockers?

RC Qualifier
    I didn't know the springs had designations to rockers...? (is it 120mm or degree?) The springs don't affect shock length. The shock length is fixed, which means you can run whatever springs make you happy!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

RC Racer
    I feel like I'm gonna end up buying all the shocks available haha, really hope that doesn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeJake View Post
    Actually, its called a PIVOT BALL.
    I stand corrected I have always called them Pillow ball. Funny how pep call different parts different names..
    My bad..
    Any how did you try adjusting them up Pivot caps. Start by taking the shock off the rocker, then both caps off, clean if needed. Get the truck up off the table with a tire or something under it to hold it up. Put a cap back on tighten it up till it touches. Run the suspention (move the A Arms up & down) it tight loose it, to loose tighten. Repeat steps on the other cap(s). Now do the other three knuckles (some pep call them carriers)....GL2U.

Springs

Revo page #21
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...l_091216_0.pdf

Summit page #21
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...607-manual.pdf

RC Qualifier
    With this 70 weight oil the shock doesn't push out any what so ever its really thick thinking that's what breaking shock caps once I hit a jump coming up to the next jump the shock is still compressed only thing helping the shocks pull back out is the weight of the tires,wheels & a arms...etc
    I just can't get rebound thought it might be my shocks so I replaced all of them yesterday just for kicks messed with the vdk kit I got tried the no 1,2,3 used the sliver deal that came with the kit on the bottom side as it said use it on top is more for on road ijdk what the deal is hitting a wall here

^ sorry the pic are gone did a purge. See if this helps hole thread but start about post nine.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ken-shock-caps

RC Qualifier
    If you put heavy oil in your shocks they'll be slower on rebound but they'll very rarely bottom out.
    To get better ( i.e faster ) rebound you need thicker springs ...

Oh, one thing we might also forget are the suspension bearings... Traxxas' suspension use a lot of moving parts and if the suspension cantilevers' bearings aren't well lubed this will make your suspension work harder...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Imprez View Post

Oh, one thing we might also forget are the suspension bearings... Traxxas' suspension use a lot of moving parts and if the suspension cantilevers' bearings aren't well lubed this will make your suspension work harder...
    Post #10 above...

RC Qualifier
    My bad man, I cross-read the thread a bit and went over your post...