RC Enthusiast

Red face Traxxas Slash 101 for beginners question. Please help me! Thanks

Hi, Ive been borrowing my friends Traxxas slash 2WD brushed motor truck and I have been loving it. I dont know much about RC trucks at all but I really want to buy one now. I know they cost a lot of money so I want to make sure I buy the right one for me so I have a few questions. I know you can buy a 2WD or 4WD truck. Ive been interested in the 4WD one but hear they break more and since I dont know anything about fixing them I think maybe that isn't a good idea. Although his brushed motor is really fast I think the brushless would be awesome but wonder if it will be to much for someone just learning. I have seen on youtube that a lot of the 2WD brushless motor trucks will pop a wheely and flip. I think if you buy the right shocks that will help but Im not sure if that will completely fix that problem. Someone said this doesn't happen as much with the 4WD trucks and that you can control the 4WD trucks in the air better when jumping by pitching it with the throttle. I am only planning on buying one truck and dont want to start with one and buy another one a couple years down the road. They cost to much for that. Any info at all that anyone can give me on this topic would be awesome! I will be happy to take any advise that will help me make my decision. Thanks a lot to anyone that can help me. Justin

I have both, the 4x4 might have a few more issues than the 2x4, but not many.

This is a 'do-it-yourself' hobby. You will need to perform maintenance, make adjustments and upgrades, and repair it. These trucks are not that complicated, take your time taking them apart, keep your parts organized, have the exploded diagram on hand and you shouldn't really have any problems. If you do, post up a question with a discription and perhaps pictures (we love pictures) and we can help you out. Knowing someone that has experience with RC is a giant help and will get your through a lot of the rough spots.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forums!....and the addcition. I got into rc the same way you did. Went over to friends house and drove a truck once and knew I had to have one.

First off, since you are a beginner, I would recommend 2wd. This is because they need much less maintenance and are much cheaper.

If you can afford it, definietly go brushless. If you get the vxl, you can put it into training mode which limits the throttle while you are still learning. Trust me though, you will get the urge to go faster very soon afterwords, and if you didn't go brushless from the start you might be looking to upgrade yours later which is more expensive. Also, brushed motors tend to burn up every once and a while and you might spend a lot of money and time just replacing motors.

If yo uuse the stock battery with the brushless you should have no troubles with flip-overs. Those trucks you see are using 3s lipos which give you 3 extra volts over the stock battery and longer lasting power.

The stock shocks that come with it can be tuned to your liking by using the spacers that come with the vehicle or by changing out the shock oil to a different weight.

Whichever way you go, good luck on finding a nice first truck!
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    I agree with both Greatscott and Motorstuff. The 2wd is probably the way to go for a beginner. I have the 4wd and the 2wd as well.

But if you aren't planning on buying another one in a few years then I would recommend the 4wd because you can put it in training mode like Motorstuff said and learn from there. The 4wd is a lot easier to drive at high speeds with the Velineon brushless power. And you can drive different places with the 4wd as well. You can drive the 2wd as well but you can get stuck a lot easier.

The 4wd is the way to go for people that are beginners and that don't plan on buying another one in a while.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the 4x4
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC poster
    training mode?.i to am new i just got the slash 4x4 with a fs gt3b radio.the manual was useless to me.but the car is lots of fun.one charge will last 20 minutes unlike the 5 minutes on my blade mcp x heli.my complaint is it drifts left,found post on that.will it hurt to drive the slash 4x4 on asphalt,if so how hard is it to convert to 2wheel drive or should i get a car just for asphalt.

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forum and the hobby! A good part of the fun/hobby is learning and maintaining your vehicle, they will need that, they will eventually break, they are not expensive to fix but can be expensive to upgrade to a certain degree.

My suggestion is to by a brushless vehicle, it will initially be less expensive than upgrading, the brushless motor essentially requires no maintenance and has the potential to take the extra power when you are ready for it by simply getting a bigger battery.
    Too fast, too powerful, too hard to control......I totally diagree. Like any vehicle/motorcyle/snowmobile or whatever, it only goes as fast as 'YOU' make it go. They don't just take off on you LOL!

Thought this is a rekindled hobby from long ago it will really take you in or you will find out it really isn't for you but try it and go from there. The biggest improvement to controlling the vehicle is learning all its components and what their function and limits are. The vehicle is very forgiving to mistakes and abuse, just ask my grandson LOL

Hmmm, a 4x4 or a 2wd? Isn't it fun to have a choice
    Get one and get going.............you can always trade it out or get another to go with it!

RC Qualifier
    I've had RC's since 85' .........all 2wd. My very 1st 4wd (XO-1) is in the mail somewhere. My neighbors kid (11yr old) has the 4wd Slash as his 1st RC because it's easier for him to control but his dad does the maintenance. (I've given him quite a few parts over the last year to keep the lil guy going.)
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks to everyone for all the info and the time it took to reply. You all have a lot of good info and for sure it looks like I want to get a brushless motor but now just to figure out if I want the 2WD or the 4WD. It sounds like they break maybe just slightly more but might be more fun and easier to drive. Does one flip from popping a wheely easier than the other? Also how is the battery life on the 4WD compaired to the 2WD? Im wondering if the 4WD will not last as long as the 2WD on the same type of battery. Although I don't know anything about fixing these RC cars I think that would be part of the fun fixing and upgrading and changing out parts after I learned what I was doing. I just dont know anyone that can help me with that stuff. I guess I'll be coming here for advise from my new friends. =) Are the hobbie shops usually pretty good guiding you in the right direction if I break it or do they just want to fix it and take your money? Ive been really excited about this new hobbie and cant wait to get enough info to decide what truck I'll buy. Just a side question too. I know some of these new trucks are water proof and Ive seen people on youtube actually jumping them in to lakes and stuff like that. Seems kind of crazy to me after spending a crap load of money but Im wondering how bad it is to run them in the sand with paddle wheels. Sounds fun but sand is never good on anything. I wonder if they are sealed well enough to drive in to the lake it should be ok to run on sand. Thanks again for all your info!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    It sounds to me like your enough of a beginner that you SHOULD be buying a 2X4. The 4X4 does handle better, but not enough for you to really worry about it and your not racing so what difference does that make. It doesnt wheelie as much but if you back off the slipper on your 2X4 truck it won't wheelie too much either... so not a problem there.
    The 2X4 is FAR simpler to fix and maintain than the 4X4. Ive owned both and I don't care what anyone else says, the 4X4 is FAR more difficult to work on and there are FAR more things to maintain and keep an eye on. Simply adjusting the slipper is a pain on the 4X4, let along maintaing the diffs, having 4 driveshafts etc etc. Im NOT saying the 4X4 is bad. But since you seem quite concerned about ease of maintenance, go with the 2X4. You won't regret that.

I think IF you can afford it you SHOULD go with a brushless truck from the start. however, if you can't afford it the brushed version is an excellent truck and is very very fun (as you already know).

In terms of battery life, the 4X4 will get less run time than the 2X4 on the same battery. It will also be slower overall out of the box and with the same power system. This is because the 4x4 drivetrain has far more drag in the drive line. Its just a simple fact of all 4X4 vehicles. 2X4 drivetrains have less drag, therefore more of the power gets transferred more efficiently to the wheels. You don't get as much traction... but you get higher top speed.

These trucks ARE waterproof. I have driven my 2X4 stampede completely under water. However, you DO need to do extra maintenance on the truck after running in alot of water. Bearings and screws can rust, electronics can condense... you need to dry and lube them REALLY well after that kind of running. Running on the beach isnt a terrible thing. Just keep it clean. Thats the biggest thing you need to do. Keep the truck clean no matter where you run it and you won't have as many issues. Let dirt and crap get built up on it and you'll wear out parts faster. One part you should think about right away is an RPM sealed gear cover... that will help keep junk out of the gears. Especially when running in the sand. A VXL powered 2X4 truck can be a BLAST in the sand while its throwing huge rooster tails. Looks really cool.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by justinr77 View Post
    Hi, Ive been borrowing my friends Traxxas slash 2WD brushed motor truck and I have been loving it. I dont know much about RC trucks at all but I really want to buy one now. I know they cost a lot of money so I want to make sure I buy the right one for me so I have a few questions. I know you can buy a 2WD or 4WD truck. Ive been interested in the 4WD one but hear they break more and since I dont know anything about fixing them I think maybe that isn't a good idea. Although his brushed motor is really fast I think the brushless would be awesome but wonder if it will be to much for someone just learning. I have seen on youtube that a lot of the 2WD brushless motor trucks will pop a wheely and flip. I think if you buy the right shocks that will help but Im not sure if that will completely fix that problem. Someone said this doesn't happen as much with the 4WD trucks and that you can control the 4WD trucks in the air better when jumping by pitching it with the throttle. I am only planning on buying one truck and dont want to start with one and buy another one a couple years down the road. They cost to much for that. Any info at all that anyone can give me on this topic would be awesome! I will be happy to take any advise that will help me make my decision. Thanks a lot to anyone that can help me. Justin
    I would go with the 2wd for your first truck... THey are a blast, get that, put a Velinion VXL3-s ESC and brushless in it, or buy it brushed already and you'll love it with a Lipo... I haven't been into RC since I was younger, bought my son a Slash and a week later I was down buying one. lol. They are just too much amn fun! I think you'll have less maintenance with the 2wd... Just my opinion

I also have both trucks. I highly suggest going with the 4x4! If you don't want to buy another truck down the road, get the 4x4. It has the brushless VXL setup in the base model. Might as well hit the ground running
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

Some of you guys make it sound like if you buy a 2X4 your going to HAVE to buy a 4X4 later on. The 4X4 isnt an UPGRADE from the 2X4, its a DIFFERENT TRUCK. If you get a 2X4 you can keep it forever and have fun with it. Its not like there will come a point where you say "well... I've had the 2X4 for a while, guess I have to get a 4X4 now". You can buy a 2X4 and love it forever.

For example... I had a 2X4 Stampede (still do). Then the 4X4 came out. I bought it thinking id like it better and that it would be a better all round truck. I didn't like it at all and sold it shortly after. I PREFER the 2X4 trucks.

Based on the OP's concerns over simplicity and his obvious lack of knowledge (no offence, his honesty was admirable), the 2X4 is a much better starting point.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Great info from everyone. I actually got a lot of good info from pavementsurfer. Thanks to everyone and again I'll keep reading any info anyone wants to share. Justin

RC Competitor
    Could I change the 12t 550 to a 21t 550 would there be a difference in speed?

It would be slower... the 21t is, I think, an Emaxx motor meant to be run with 2 motors at the same time. If you went with the brushed version and wanted a longer lasting motor the best choice IMO is the Electrifly S-600. It will require some soldering to get it to fit but it lasts longer than the titan and gives similar speeds.
    At the end of the day, if you do buy the brushed truck (which is nothing to feel bad about) you should start saving right away for when your ready to go brushless. About $100 and you can install a really good brushless system that will require nearly no maintenance and will last a LONG time. Its always cheaper to buy the VXL truck from the start but I fully understand that sometimes that much money is hard to come up with all at once.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    I have been pretty much only looking at the Traxxas Slash because a couple years back I know it was ranked as the best RC truck on the market. I haven't really even looked in to any other truck for that reason. Im not looking for a car that will only run on the street for sure. Im hoping to get a RC trucks that can go fast, off road and lots of jumping off jumps. Do you all think Im looking at the right truck or should I be checking something else out? The slash just seems to be all of these things and more. It is fast and looks like one of the most durable trucks on the market. As of now after listening to what everyone has said here I think Im leaning towards the 2WD brushless Slash (Slash VXL #5807) but am not 100% sure I dont want the 4WD. I wish I could drive both of them somewhere so I could really get a better idea. It just sounds like from most of you that the 2WD is easier to work on and breaks less although the 4WD might be a little easier to drive. Im getting a $250 check coming here soon that will just be for play money so I'll probably use that once it comes to buy my truck. Cant wait.

RC Enthusiast
    One more thing. Is it easier to pitch the 4WD trucks in the air while going off bigger jumps than the 2WD ones? Or can you still do this with the 2WD trucks too? Not that Im going to be spending that much time in the air but jumping the truck just is something that seems fun.

RC Enthusiast
    Im watching some videos right now on the 2WD trucks and they look like they get a lot more sideways and are harder to control in the dirt. I guess this could be good drifting around turns but when you try and take off at the start the power of it seems to throw the *** end out from side to side more. Wonder if the 4x4 does that that as much.

Any 2X4 truck is going to be far more tail loose on acceleration and cornering. Especially rear wheel drive vehicles that are GROSSELY over powered like a 2X4 slash. But that is much of the fun of the truck. It slides around and requires some level of skill to really drive it fast. People keep suggesting the 4X4's because they are "easier to drive" and I ask... where is the fun in that? I have driven 4X4 and 2X4 SCT trucks on and off the track and my preference is the 2X4 because it requires more control and skill. If you literally just want to go blast corners perfectly, get the 4X4 (keeping in mind it IS more complicated to work on). But if you want to own a truck for a long and really get good at driving it, the 2X4 will take more time and skill to really handle well. And its not that it handles poorly... its just that by nature its harder to drive fast. For jumping and bashing you won't have any problems at all IMO. If you want to keep it straight on a track and going fast... thats when the skill is required.

Also, a 4x4 truck WILL have more pitch control in the air than a 2X4... simply because you are using the rotating mass of the tires being stopped (nose goes down) or sped up (nose goes up) to control the truck. If you have fewer tires rotating you have less control. However, once you learn HOW to jump an RC truck this issue becomes less important. Controlling the jumping attitude of a truck has as much, if not more, to do with how you HIT the jump than it does with what you do after your in the air. You quickly learn when to hit a jump with the throttle on and off and when to cost into the face or power right off the lip. Ever jump is different. I found my stampede 4X4 was actually harder to control at first because when I would apply the brakes or throttle in the air the effects were so drastic the truck would end up flipping over forward to back. I got the hang of it, but then again, I got the hang of jumping my 2X4 pede off the same jumps just as well...

If your getting your hands on $250... your honestly only going to be able to afford the 2X4 slash anyway. especially if your going VXL (which I think is a good idea). The 4X4 is over $350 with a discount from tower hobbies and the 2X4 is still about $280... I still think you should start with the 2X4 and go from there.

I always recommend the stampede as a great first truck, but since youve been driving a slash and since your buddy already has one, I think you should go with the slash... just so everything is the same.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Pavementsurfer, Thanks for taking the time to give me your advise. I think you have some good points and sound like you know what you are talking about. I agree its more fun needing a little skill to master something than just having it be too easy. For example i prefer stand up jet skis over sit down ones because it takes some learning and skill. It makes me feel better that it wont always feel out of control after i learn to drive it a little better. Also good to know about jumping it too. That alot of it had to do with how you hit the jump and that although it wont pitch as much as the 4x4 it still can. So what is the VXL? Just a better motor? It sounds like the 2x4 vxl brushless motor is the way i should go. I will che k out that tower hobbies and it sounds like that truck will be about $300.

VXL is the traxxas branded brushless system. Its waterproof and very powerful. Far more powerful than what is needed in a slash but that makes it more fun. It also has Low Voltage Cutoff built in so you can run lipos with no extras needed. If you can afford it, its the way to go for sure.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Just an FYI, Hobby People has the Slash for $209 right now. Althought not the Brushless model, but still a great deal... At least the Hobby People out in So. Cal! Go with the 2x4. It's an absolute blast! =) I completely agree with Pavement surfer, he's giving you great advice!

RC Enthusiast
    Hotrodgrafics29, Thanks for your comments as well. I went to that site and see the 4x4 VXL is selling for $350 where the 2x4 VXL is selling for $360. Considering the 4x4 is on such a sale still stick with the 2x4? I saw that great deal on that 2WD but I think everyone here has talked me in to getting the VXL. As soon as I thought you guys had me sold on the 2WD I saw that sale and questioned myself again. lol..... I do think I want the 1/10 scale truck too. If anyone sees any good deals on the 2WD VXL 1/10 scale Slash please let me know. Thanks

RC Competitor
    Here's a great deal on it. Traxxas 5807 1/10 Slash 2wd RTR VXL Brushless + 2.4 Ghz Radio, Battery & Charger...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-5807...#ht_2821wt_996

You can do a buy it now so that's the final price

RC Enthusiast
    I went to that ebay listing and someone already bid on it so now there is no more buy it now option. I see other ones on there for $332 with free shipping. Was that the price that you saw for that listing? I think I have decided to get this truck. Im either going to get it in the black and red or the one that is red and black. I like the black one better and think it looks nicer but wonder if it would be easier to see the red one as it gets far from me. I ordered a new chase credit card that if you spend $500 in the first 3 months they will give you $200 back so I think as soon as I get that in the mail I will buy it on that card. Hopefully should be here in the next few days. Awesome deal and a good excuse to spend some money. Since I will be out of town (disneyland) over the next few days I wont be able to check my mail until I get back this weekend when I hope to order my new truck. Cant wait! Thank you everyone for your input. Lot of great info on here.

Just one last question too. I know people were talking about a training mode as Im learning to drive this powerful truck. Does this model Im looking at (Traxxas 5807 1/10 Slash 2wd RTR VXL Brushless +2.4-GHz Radio ) have that as well? I hope it does and wonder where the switch is. Thanks again

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by justinr77 View Post
    I went to that ebay listing and someone already bid on it so now there is no more buy it now option. I see other ones on there for $332 with free shipping. Was that the price that you saw for that listing? I think I have decided to get this truck. Im either going to get it in the black and red or the one that is red and black. I like the black one better and think it looks nicer but wonder if it would be easier to see the red one as it gets far from me. I ordered a new chase credit card that if you spend $500 in the first 3 months they will give you $200 back so I think as soon as I get that in the mail I will buy it on that card. Hopefully should be here in the next few days. Awesome deal and a good excuse to spend some money. Since I will be out of town (disneyland) over the next few days I wont be able to check my mail until I get back this weekend when I hope to order my new truck. Cant wait! Thank you everyone for your input. Lot of great info on here.

Just one last question too. I know people were talking about a training mode as Im learning to drive this powerful truck. Does this model Im looking at (Traxxas 5807 1/10 Slash 2wd RTR VXL Brushless +2.4-GHz Radio ) have that as well? I hope it does and wonder where the switch is. Thanks again
    Yes it does have training mode. All stock slash's have it as long as it has the VXL or the XL-5.

To do it you have to turn on your transmitter with a fully charged battery installed
    With the esc off, press and hold the EZ- Set button until the LED turns solid green, then solid red and then begins blinking red then when the LED blinks red three times, release the EZ-Set button.
    The LED will blink and then turn solid green (Low-Voltage Detection ACTIVE) or red (Low- Voltage Detection DISABLED).

Now training mode is activated.
    Also when you get the truck it will show you how to do it in the manual for training mode, race mode, and sport mode.