RC Enthusiast

Sidewinder sct cc 3800kv motor

So i was looking at the sidewinder sct combo at my LHS for 139 and was curious how this compared to the
    Stock velineon setup. I would race at a couple of local tracks on 2s and bash on 2 and 3s. According to the cc websight the system is not 3s capable but i have read on this forum that there are a few people running it. This system is cheap in my opinion. If it is an upgrade for my 4x i will scoop it up. Will it be faster on a 2s? How high can i gear it? Hoes this system do on 3s? How should it be geared on 3s? How well does it handle heat?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    that sidewinder esc is limited to 2s and you would have to gear it pretty conservatively IMO or at least I had to

you would be better off to get the mmp 3800 combo you can gear it higher with lower temps and capable of running on 3s w/ the mamba max pro esc
    Last edited by Koda Dank; 02-17-2012 at 08:40 PM.

The SW/3800 combo is okay. The 4-pole motor is a powerhouse but it is a bit limited by the ESC. As with all Castle systems you will gain a bunch of programming options (so long as you also purchase the CastleLink adapter or FieldLink card.) There are a couple important examples of members mounting the motor fan on the ESC as it seems to need the cooling much more than the motor does.

More reading than you ever wanted to do about this subject:

Datalogging the Castle 3800kv Pede

asheck build thread

2400- 3800 Castle's combo's compared in a Stampede.

SCT 3800 Esc fan mod for the Pede.

3800/2400 users BEWARE

A couple/few major points of the linked threads (other than the SW running hot in this application) are that:
    -the 3800 motor is an amp hog, so you better have good batteries
    -the SW should be moved to a location with greater airflow
    -the MMPro far outshines the SW when paired with these very strong 4-pole motors (1410/3800kv and 1415/2400kv)
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I liked the motor on the slash 4x4 but it made alot of gear noise i ran it on the vxl 3s esc as my castle esc burnt up. It was fastand loads of torque all 4 wheels barely hooked upand would spin on throttle response

One brushless motor makes about the same amount of noise as the next. The spur/pinion and diffs on this truck drown any noise the actual motor may make.

RC Qualifier
    i never noticed any motor noise over the noise my mips make unless you roll it on the ground with your hand

LOL, I forgot about the added noise of my steel driveshafts. (Tekno.) Compared to my FLM Pede this thing is pretty loud.

RC Enthusiast
    I thought the esc was the week point of the setup. According to cc the esc can handle 3s its the motor that cannot. Any thoughts on that?

RC Champion
    The ESC has a 3s limit, will happily run 3s in a lighter car

The motor will happily run 3s with a different ESC in these cars if geared correctly

The combination of ESC / Motor in these cars is a recipe for disaster even on 2s (if geared agressively)

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Enthusiast
    Ok i thought the price was to good to be true.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kroamdoam View Post
    Ok i thought the price was to good to be true.
    when i get the money, im going with the castle mamba max pro sct edition 2400kv. I can get the combo for $187.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv