RC Enthusiast

help trying to decide to get it or not?

I want a 1/16 scale and right now i have the 1/10 slash 4x4. I am trying to decide between the e revo brushless, the summit brushed and the summit vxl. i want a car that can go offroad and it would be nice if it can handle about the same terrain as the slash. so i am leaning towards the summit. the reason i dont know if i should get brushed or brushless is becasue of the "cogging" or whatever its called with the brushless motors. And if anyone knows the speed of that brushed summit let me know please! and you know what i really want the summit more than the e revo because theyre like freakin crawlers!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You have to do a lot to them to make a mini Summit into a crawler.

FYI: Most people that buy a Summit end up with a MERV after they fix the issues with the drive line on the Summit.
    If you like the Summit look, still get a MERV and then eBay/shop around for Summit tires, body, body posts, and some lower tooth count pinions... You'll be all set! (and be able to convert back and forth lol)
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok well i dont want a complete crawler just something that goes over different terrain decently. and what about those "cogging" issues or is that something just in my imagination lol? And what is wrong with the summits drive line?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Cogging is something that happens wirh all sensorless brushless systems at low speeds.

The drive line is swept 10mm back with the rear a arms, adding a deflection angle to the axles. This angle over stresses the stock shafts. This is made even worse by the long travel rockers. Replacing the arms with Revo arms helps, but does not solve the added stress from the LT rockers. And once you change the arms and rockers, you have a revo with summit tires and body.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    I have had great fun with my Summit VXL that I purchased brand new 7 days ago but....

The esc had bad stopping and cogging issues right out the box on the stock battery and 2s lipos (trying to get replacement, no luck yet)
    The rear axle pin in the yoke broke on the 4th day of indoor only use.
    Strangely a off-road truck and its not even geared out the box for off-road use, mine runs about 130 indoor use. I know its so it can achieve the 40mph statement on the box.

Called Traxxas this past Friday, spent 10 mins on hold (not actually a bad wait time). However got someone uninterested in helping, which turned out to be true since I never received the return instructions email he said he would send. Yes I did even check my junk mail, and he read my email address back to me, and yes I did register the r/c on the Traxxas when I bought it. So now I will have to call again. I guess it will be quite some time before I can enjoy the new r/c I just bought.

The 1/16 Summit is a fun r/c, but you have to be lucky enough to get a good one out the box. Mine is the newest version with the TQi 2.4 system so I thought all the bugs would have been worked out. Nobody wants to buy someone else's problem.
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Competitor
    I had the merv, and my neighbor has the summit. Both are a blast, but the axle issues these guys describe is definitely a problem with the summit. Personally, I think the merv is a stronger setup out of the box. But be aware that these little trucks are not quite as rugged as your 1/10 scale truck. I went through a LOT of parts on my merv. The biggest reason for this is I expected it to stand up to what my 1/10 scale trucks go through since it has nearly the same power and all the speed of it's larger brother (I know I know, silly me ) However, small plastic parts just don't take the abuse. But that doesn't mean they aren't fun!!

Also I had very little cogging with the merv and neither does my neighbors summit!
    Stampede VXL, Mini e-Revo VXL, Associated SC10 RS

RC Champion
    BRUSHLESS MERV!!! why would you need to debate??!! LOL

I believe the MERV will give you want you want and then some. you can always purchase summit parts to convert and then you have both cars and can offroad with the best of 'em!

i did that, depends on my mood which one i set up that day

RC Champion
    I vote for the MERV as well! As everyone has said it is basically the same car, but with fewer issues out of the box. I have one and am actually running the summit wheels and tires on it! Looks great and performs incredibly!! I've upgraded the motor and ESC twice, first to brushless - Velineon 3500 system - and it was AWESOME! But the cogging bothered me because 50% or more of my driving has been done in my HOUSE Just messing around, so I've upgraded again to the MMP and a Sensored motor from another company, and it's FAST as heck, but also capable of extreme crawling, especially with these tires!

Again, finding a summit body isn't hard at all.

RC Racer
    I'm glad I got the Summit instead of the E-Revo, The less aggressive tread and "car like" body just didn't cut it for me. I don't think the stock MERV tires would have done as well as the Summits for the snow where I mess around. To each his own.

RC Enthusiast
    Bite the bullet and get it...you won't regret it