RC Qualifier

NiMh Battery help

Hello All,

I suspect I have a battery issue. I have a 7 cell, 5000MaH Duratrax NiMh battery that im using in my XL5. It seems to charge fine, but seems weak in the truck. I checked the voltage under load (in the truck full throttle) and im getting just over 5 volts from the pack. This test was after just a couple minutes of using the truck on a flat paved surface. This battery is fairly new and may have as few as 10 charges on it. Im using a Venom Pro Charger, and it is properly set for capacity cut off, and charging at 3 amps. I'd hate to think I have a bad cell already.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Qualifier
    Just a thought. Is your XL5 programmed correctly. Maybe reprogram it and see what kind of performance you get.
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, it's definitely not a programming issue.

RC Champion
    You definitely want to contact the place where you bought the battery or duratrax.

RC Qualifier
    OK, just got off the phone with Duratrax, the guy was very short with me and seemed to not care at all about the problem. He also said there is no warranty on thier batteries. What a load of BS. I will never buy anything made by them again.

By the way, I tested my wifes battery (same battery as mine) in my truck, and it worked great.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    If you arent ready to move up to the world of Lipo and just want to stick with Nimh. I'd suggest ProMatch Ener-G 4600, they are some of the best around. For the price they are worth every $.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    If you arent ready to move up to the world of Lipo and just want to stick with Nimh. I'd suggest ProMatch Ener-G 4600, they are some of the best around. For the price they are worth every $.
    Actually, I have 3 other pedes, all brushless, and LiPo ( see my sig). This is the only NiMh battery I have besides the Traxxas one I got with my 4x4 Pede. I only have this battery because its for my xl-5 and I can't use LiPo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-wheelin View Post
    Actually, I have 3 other pedes, all brushless, and LiPo ( see my sig). This is the only NiMh battery I have besides the Traxxas one I got with my 4x4 Pede. I only have this battery because its for my xl-5 and I can't use LiPo.
    Sorry, I skipped right past your sig. NM then.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I check the motor if the motor is weak it will draw alot more, i just replaced my kids titan from a weak motor i made work again, with the motor i made work again we got 15min runtime out of a 8.4v 5000mah battery and the battery was HOT.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, its definitely a battery issue. Im really tired if NiMh batteries. I just got off the phone with Traxxas; I asked them if I could trade my current xl5 speed control in for a new one that has Low Voltage Detection. So my troubles are over, I will trade in the old one, get a new one, go LiPo, and be happy. Total cost to me, $25.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-wheelin View Post
    Ok, its definitely a battery issue. Im really tired if NiMh batteries. I just got off the phone with Traxxas; I asked them if I could trade my current xl5 speed control in for a new one that has Low Voltage Detection. So my troubles are over, I will trade in the old one, get a new one, go LiPo, and be happy. Total cost to me, $25.
    That's great, it never hurts to ask and Traxxas is really good about working with you. You could have used an LVA. But for a little bit more why not upgrade to a new XL5 that has LVD. With my castles I still run an LVA because I like mine to be shuttoff at storage voltage ( 3.8v / cell ).
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore