Thread: Esc blinking?

RC Racer

Esc blinking?

I just got my new traxxas 3s lipo 5000mah battery in. So I drove it for about it ten minutes and then I forgot to turn it on lipo mode. So I did that, and then the next day I cleaned it and then I turned the car on and when I drove for about 30 seconds the esc started blinking red. Like blink once then off blink once then off etc. It wouldn't t let me go forward or reverse it just let me turn.
    What does this mean?

RC Qualifier
    Was it only blinking once the whole time? Or was it blinking once, then twice, then 3 times?
    1 Summit w/ 14.4v Dewalt
    2 Slash 4x4 Ultimate's

RC Racer
    sounds like usual sticky button issue, its cycling modes... needs repair

RC Racer
    No, it wasn't changing to training mode or anything it just blinks on the off. If I unplug it and plug it back in it works for about a minute but then it does the same thing over again.

RC Qualifier
    If it wasn't cycling modes your button shouldn't be stuck. This may be a silly question, but are you sure the battery is fully charged? That's what my esc does when the low voltage kicks in. It just flashes off and on red.
    1 Summit w/ 14.4v Dewalt
    2 Slash 4x4 Ultimate's

RC Racer
    Well it seems to be at full power but is that what lipo mode does. Because up till just yesterday I was only running stock battery. So you could be right I just have no idea.

RC Racer
    Hook up your battery if you have a good lipo charger and see what ur volts are and get back to us 4.2 per cell x 3 cells... Ur battery is full at 12.6.

RC Racer
    Also since it sounds your new to this hobby u and this is ur first lipo battery u have a lipo charger... Or u will burn ur house down!!

RC Racer
    How do i check that I have the Traxxas lipo charger

RC Enthusiast
    Bat flattery.... Charge it up with a lipo charger and go again. Slow red usually means lipo mode has kicked in and the esc won't let nuke the battery beyond no return. All's good

RC Enthusiast
    Littlejoe you should see and additional plug or pad for the "balance" cable to be plugged into if not there then don't use it, go and buy 1 before u try to charge or u could say goodbye to parts of ur body or house.

RC Racer
    So I should just discharge it and then charge and balance it.
    And one more thing will my charger automatically balance it and if so should the balance rate be at 0.1 amps for my traxxas 3s 5000 mah lipo. And for discharging 0.1 amps too.

Don't discharge it. Put it on the charger and see what voltage it has . Might just need to be charged.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    But when I plug it into my traxxas lipo charger it just says program select lipo nimh etc it doesn't show that voltages or anything.

RC Enthusiast
    Generally don't discharge it through the charger, there are mixed opinions but by in large everyone says don't do it, set the charge for lipo balance select the size ie: 11.1 set your cut off mah eg: 5000mah, I personally balance charge every time for the extra couple of mins it takes it's not worth.the headache and then plug in your batt and hit start. Chargers vary pending brand but generally the same concept. But if in doubt always ask lipos can be dangerous if incorrectly used

RC Racer
    And any ways if I click charge it show 11.4 v and my battery says it should be 11.1
    Last edited by littlejoe; 02-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Select lipo then select start then hit start select 11.1 then how hard/fast u want to charge it hit start hold down start confirm by hitting start done .... Then ur done (or along those lines)

RC Racer
    K thanks and do i balance the battery before I charge it or after.
    I'm so sorry for all these questions
    Last edited by littlejoe; 02-17-2012 at 04:07 PM.

RC Racer
    Honestly If u have a LHS close by I would take ur battery and ur charger there b4 u mess something up or hurt yourself...I'm sure they would be more than happy to help and show u. It would be easier than explaining.

RC Qualifier
    Bongo is correct..Its just the ESC doing its job..

RC Enthusiast
    Littlejoe it's called a balance charge as it balances whilst it charges