RC Competitor

Taxi's are dangerous for Slayers

I had a little run in (over) with the rear tire of a taxi the other day however it the only damage done was bending of the fins on the engine, and braking of the ez start motor. While I was looking the vehicle over another guy come over and said that he his brother would sell me his complete engine and ez start set up for 500 SAR (about $150) so seeing as I am in Saudi Arabia, I bought it the next day. So I did a crash course in disassembling,repairing and assembly my Slayer pro. After straightening out the cooling fins on the engine and replacing the ez start motor I now have one issue. The Slayer starts only when I apply a little throttle on the transmitter and will stay running unitl I either stop the tires from spinning or when I hit the brakes on the transmitter. It runs straight and shifts gears fine, so did I damage something else that would cause this issue . Thanks much for your ideas.
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4

RC Qualifier
    that sucks! what a bully! the taxi should pick on cars its own size!! lol
    custom summit crawler parts lol

might just need to tune it a little more like turning up the idle gap. a idle gap to small could shut off when u hit the brakes because of the gap closing below the idle point. it could also be the cause of you having to give it throttle on the transmitter to start.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah what he said..
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    might just need to tune it a little more like turning up the idle gap. a idle gap to small could shut off when u hit the brakes because of the gap closing below the idle point. it could also be the cause of you having to give it throttle on the transmitter to start.

Quote Originally Posted by emraiders81 View Post
    Yeah what he said..
    cheater lol, thats taking the easy way out lol
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    I would check to see if your clutch spring is broken. I have had the same problem described, and it ended up being my clutch spring. I would check that, and if your clutch spring is fine, I would start re-tuning (Although, it does not hurt to re-tune your engine every now and again).
    Slayer, Slash 4x4 (MMM/2650kv), & a Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    cheater lol, thats taking the easy way out lol
    That's how I roll.. Lol

ehhh....... its cool lol. just felt like hassling ya some man lol
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by summitcrawler View Post
    that sucks! what a bully! the taxi should pick on cars its own size!! lol
    What really hurt was I was trying to stop the Slayer but pull the switch instead of pushing and I drove it right under his tire.
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys I will try some adjustments to the idle tonight
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher5225 View Post
    I would check to see if your clutch spring is broken. I have had the same problem described, and it ended up being my clutch spring. I would check that, and if your clutch spring is fine, I would start re-tuning (Although, it does not hurt to re-tune your engine every now and again).
    I am going to go to the LHS here to see if they have that clutch shoe and spring PN 4616X to see if that is the problem. I have to block the vehicle to keep it from wanting to drive away while starting, once started though it run until I hit the breaks. Is there any way of checking if that is the problem before having to remove the engine and replacing the part?
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4

Classic signs of a clutch gone bad: tires turn when starting and will quit running when braking. Easiest thing to do is check the carb with the engine off and see how big of a gap there is when the electronics are on and full brake is applied.
    But given the signs, this is a clutch issue. Roll the truck backwards and if it gives resistance and sounds from the clutch bell, that is your problem. Or spin the clutch bell by hand both directions--it should spin smoothly.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Classic signs of a clutch gone bad: tires turn when starting and will quit running when braking.
    Well I think I found the problem when I removed the engine and looked at the clutch shoes and spring, the spring was broken. I have not tested it yet as it is 2300 hours here in Saudi Arabia and all the fellow contractors that I work with are asleep (as I should have been a hour a go). I would like to thank everyone for the help, I will test it tomorrow and I am sure I have to do some tuning it after it gets hot. I will do my best to keep the Slayer away from taxi's in the future.
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4