RC Qualifier

Diffs are binding...Shimmed or not???

Hey guys, I need your input here. I "shimmed my diffs" last week while I had my truck apart. While taking the diffs apart I saw that one of the diff rings was pretty hammered, so I bought a new pinion/ring for that diff. I installed both tonight and noticed that there is some binding going on in both diffs. After messing around with shims, it seems that they bind a little no matter what I do. I've inspected them thoroughly for burrs and they're clean. I cleaned the diff housings, so I know all the bearings are seating perfectly. Any ideas??

(I checked the side to side movement from the output shafts and they were tight...no need to shim yet)

RC Qualifier
    Bump. Haha. No ideas??

Well humm here is my 3 cents.. Every new diff has a tight spot when you turn the gear over. This is why I like to break in a diff (IE run the diffs about a dozen runs).. Then shim them to get the play out.. So my advice is to take the shims out. check the play then might shim them up just a bit. Install the diff(s) run them & maybe shim them at a later date...GL2U..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Well humm here is my 3 cents.. Every new diff has a tight spot when you turn the gear over. This is why I like to break in a diff (IE run the diffs about a dozen runs).. Then shim them to get the play out.. So my advice is to take the shims out. check the play then might shim them up just a bit. Install the diff(s) run them & maybe shim them at a later date...GL2U..
    That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, 87... They don't seem to be binding the whole way around, which was throwing me off. There's definitely a tight spot. Thanks a million for the input!

If you are running 2/3s for sure shim them again..

They don't seem to be binding the whole way around, which was throwing me off.

The gear just does not run true, but it is close. I have read is pep using a drill to wear it in, then they shim them up..

RC Champion
    I just had the same issue with the front diff on my E-Maxx. After taking it apart, checking it, and putting it back together about three times I noticed the binding didn't happen when the other half of the diff cover was not on. It would happen when I had it all together. Apparently I was tightening the 4 screws to much and it was making the cover rub somewhere against the gears. I tighten the screw to the point the head just touched the cover and now my diff turns without binding.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by M n M View Post
    I just had the same issue with the front diff on my E-Maxx. After taking it apart, checking it, and putting it back together about three times I noticed the binding didn't happen when the other half of the diff cover was not on. It would happen when I had it all together. Apparently I was tightening the 4 screws to much and it was making the cover rub somewhere against the gears. I tighten the screw to the point the head just touched the cover and now my diff turns without binding.
    I tried that... I maybe helped a little, but I could still tell there was one spot of binding. Besides, doesn't it worry you a bit that all those screws are gonna wiggle loose while you're cruisin and the whole diff is gonna fall apart???

^ You are correct the screws need to be tight, but don't over tighten. I did one & stripped the thread.DO'H

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanderson1 View Post
    I tried that... I maybe helped a little, but I could still tell there was one spot of binding. Besides, doesn't it worry you a bit that all those screws are gonna wiggle loose while you're cruisin and the whole diff is gonna fall apart???
    Edit: they are tightened to the point they snug up to the cover. Once the screws have touched the diff body and are snug, I stopped. I didn't give them an extra 1/4 turn of torque. I tried to torque them down before and had the binding issue. No - I'm not worried about them backing out as they are "Snug".

Theres not a specific # of turns or a torque setting to go off of, it's a matter of experimenting. What is snug to me may be torqued to others, what is torqued to me may be snug to some.

Theres not a specific # of turns or a torque setting to go off of, it's a matter of experimenting. What is snug to me may be torqued to others, what is torqued to me may be snug to some

That is true, especially with the guys at work.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Theres not a specific # of turns or a torque setting to go off of, it's a matter of experimenting. What is snug to me may be torqued to others, what is torqued to me may be snug to some

That is true, especially with the guys at work.
    Guys at work just saying "Click", real loud? lol Then you have your Baby gorillas that overtighten everything!
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....