RC Enthusiast

Is the slash 4x4 competitive for racing?

I was asking because I go to my local track (being new) to practice and keep getting told "that slash will never get you anywhere, get a losi if you plan to race"....

Being new I don't think "any" truck would make me a better driver, but it is disheartening when already nervous to race. I have began to set my truck up like Steve S. suggests in the sticky post, just want to know how everyone feels here or any racer that runs feels.

Thanks.

RC poster
    YES it is. I hear the same stuff all the time from guys who run Losi and Associated SCT's. It's all in the setup. I race in the sportsman class so I'm not a pro but I don't have any problems keeping up with or passing guys with the "other brands." I was visiting with a local track owner the other night and he offered to let me drive his race-prepped SC10 4x4 with a Tekin RX8 esc and T8 motor. That thing was FAST but his talent from a very long career of RC racing let him PASS ME WITH MY OWN SLASH! He told me I had the suspension pretty much dialed in. LOL

So YES the Slash 4x4 is competitive for racing. Continue with your Steve S. setup and go from there. I arrived mostly at where his base set up is through trial and error before I found this forum and the helpfulness of all the members.

The main goal is to have fun and enjoy your Slash 4x4! Make sure to note when you start regularly passing those darn Losi's too.

RC Racer
    U know what i asked the same question to some guys at my lhs and they said yes. I agree with flyboy it all depends on the setup. The thing with slashs is that it has a high center gravity and the losi scte has a lower center gravity. Ofcorse it depends on ur driving skills too. I bought a field link from this guy one time and he made a good point. He said he has his powerr limited to around 80%, no punch and some drag brake. He said brake a good safe distance so u can roll into a turn instead of rolling over and to stay in the middle of the track all the time. Ive actually tryed that out and my lap times got shorter and shorter!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the input. I know my driving is way under the ability of the truck, but hope to be passing people one day. I will be I rookie class for a while that is a sure thing. Knowing I just need to understand the truck more and can be on a level field makes me feel better.

It is always easy to blame the equipment for losing or sucking at driving. Lol I know it is the driver for sure. On a side note- I was told that getting a 2wd buggy and driving it on the track when practicing would help my driving skills a lot more that just driving the truck. If so would it be a good idea to look into a buggy too?

RC Qualifier
    All else being equal, the Losi is a better racer than the slash, it's just a better design with a lower CG, better suspension, and arguably better electronics, it is a lot heavier though. The Slash is lighter and more nimble, faster too, but far easier to roll, and less stable. The Slash is competitive, and in some ways more so than the SCTE being lots of tracks have slash specific classses in addition to SC truck, and it's light weight gives it an advantage on tiny tracks and indoor. If you use a LCG chassis and better shocks with the slash it is even more competitive.

Even still, the driver will make a lot more of a difference, along with the ability to tune for a particular track. For most RC races, you will be competitive if you can simply keep the truck off of it's lid, and run reasonably clean laps, even if you are a little short on power, or have a truck that has a lot of limitations "on paper", you can still do well, or possibly win. If you are just getting into racing, your truck, times, and placement don't mean much, you are just trying to get clean laps, and consistent lap times, even if they are a bit slower. Once you have a few races under your belt work on making those clean laps faster, avoiding other people's wrecks, and finding a good rythem and control over jumps and around corners to set up for what's next, your lap times will get smaller and smaller while remaining relatively consistent. Once you get to the point you cannot make your truck go any faster, and clean consistent laps don't win enough races for you, then look at getting into an equipment race with the top competition. It will get expensive, and you will have to start over to some degree in getting familiar with the new chassis, and repeat every time something new and hot comes out, but you will have the best chance of winning club and local races and getting into more prestigious regional and national races.

RC Racer
    Well put, I really need am working on the same lap out every trip phase right now with every little upgrade. Thanks for the input.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes. It is all on the driver. When I first started I loved the durability of the slash bashing. When I started indoor racing I almost hated it because I could never keep up with the losi's and sc10s. After 5 months of driving it, adjusting and tuning. I am in love with my slash.. my favorite question at the track... What kind of truck is that? its a slash lol