RC Enthusiast

Wiring up a CC BEC Pro with a separate battery just for servos and lights.

I wrote out a big long post, but then I decided that was stupid.

Gonna get a CC BEC Pro and run it off a hardcase 2s 5000mah lipo. I don't plan on buying a receiver battery. I plan on having one of the outputs from the BEC power just the LED functions (and I plan on adding more LEDs because I'm pretty interested in night driving). I'm going to remove the LED connection from whatever servo is currently plugged into channel 5 because that bugs me for some reason and I plan on putting a switch on the circuit.

The other lead needs to supply power to the Rx and all the servos. . . somehow. Every slot is full, so what's the best method to connect the BEC? I may go single steering servo in the future this freeing up a channel, but for now, the stock servos are fine. Can they be wired together or with a Y-splitter? How would this affect their operation?

I'm aware I'll need to remove the red wire from the ESC. I'm also aware the ESC will need to be grounded still, but since the BEC and ESC are not sharing a common battery, I'm wondering WHAT the ESC needs to be grounded to. Can I just leave the black wire as-is?

I'd like to view these are two completely separate circuits. The BEC powered off a separate battery powering the servos, and the ESC powered off two other lipo batteries running the motor. I think the signal and ground wire coming from the ESC to the Rx are making things more complicated than I would like.

I've spent hours searching for this but haven't found an answer yet.

Ohhh yeah, so the actual questions are:

1. What's the best way to wire the BEC to the Rx given that all the channels are full?
    2. How do I make sure the system is properly grounded?
    Last edited by CornUponCob; 02-17-2012 at 01:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    wouldnt you need to rewire the esc to get all the power from both batteries to power the motor? im no expert with electronics just curious..

and to me the added weight wouldnt be worth the extra run time.. especially when you can just get really good batteries.. or multiple batteries.. this mod just doesnt seem worth it to me.. good luck though.
    custom summit crawler parts lol

RC Enthusiast
    As far as I know, I shouldn't have to do any re-wiring of the batteries that power the ESC and motor (unless a pesky grounding issue messes that up).

A side goal of this is to keep the ESC's BEC from doing any work to keep temps down in the event I try 5s lipo on the EVX2.

I may do some towing with the truck in the future (actually, that was one of the main reasons I bought it), plus I've always felt the front end is just too light, so the extra weight is welcome for me.

RC poster
    I use a separate batterie on my summit with an external UBec

My wiring diagram

if you don't want to cut the red wire from the esc, you can use a Y-futaba plug. On the first plug connected to the esc,
    you remove the red wire, on the second plug you remove the white wire. And you connect the third plug on the RX

RC Qualifier
    Keep the receiver and esc grounded to the main batterys. The extra battery isnt worth the hassle to me. How can you mount the battery low enough to be helpful? I think weight under the body posts is a better idea.
    You can use a y-harness for the 2 servos to free up a slot. Or the slot for the lights can be spliced with the bec as it goes into the receiver.
    You dont need to wire the bec directly to the esc either. The bec can be connected directly to the servos/lights.
    See post 116
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...e-report/page3

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by capsule View Post
    I use a separate batterie on my summit with an external UBec

My wiring diagram

if you don't want to cut the red wire from the esc, you can use a Y-futaba plug. On the first plug connected to the esc,
    you remove the red wire, on the second plug you remove the white wire. And you connect the third plug on the RX
    Thanks a bunch. This is exactly the diagram I was looking for.