Hybrid View

RC Enthusiast

Running 3x 2s lipos in series for 6s power for future BL upgrade

I've exhaustively searched, but haven't found any definitive answers on this.

I'm considering purchasing 6 of the ********** 7600 mah 2s batteries to use in my stock summit. I'd number the packs and use all of them roughly an equal number of times while still using a brushed setup.

Anyway, sometime in the future, I'll probably upgrade to a BL system that's capable of 6s, and I wanted to know, as long as all the batteries were bought at the same time, they've been run a similar amount, and they're all identical, can I wire them in series (with a custom series connector I'll make using at least 10 AWG) without any ill-effects? Would the performance be any worse than simply running 2x 3s batteries? Is one battery going to get far hotter than the other two because it's having to pass more current through? The ********** batteries are rated 40-80c, so I'm hoping internal resistance won't be too big of a deal.

I like the idea of 7600 mah of 6s power, and the ability to mount one of the batteries more forward in the chassis. The other two batteries will just fit inside the battery boxes (from what I've seen and read).

Again, the main reasons for doing this are:

Cost savings
    Ability to adjust weight distribution without adding dead weight
    run time (and I really do want that much run-time (4-6 hours depending on driving)).

RC Qualifier
    Yes but try 6s before you wire them like that. 6s sounds great on paper but is a beast. 4-5s is a sweeter spot.

That said, its perferable each cell is as close in every reguard when wired together. However, you wont be using the nanos to their ful potential, so if one has a slightly higher IR or slightly lower mah, no big whoop. Basically you could wire a 7800mah and a 1000 mah together, as long as the 1000 was never discharged past its output capacities. This isnt reccomended but you get the idea...

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for your reply. I've seen countless running videos of different vehicles on 5 and 6s, and I'm well aware the summit isn't really designed for 6s brushless power, but. . . yeah, I plan on doing it anyway.

The reason I'm not as interested in running 5s is I couldn't find any ******* batteries larger than 5000 mah with a high C rating that exactly matched each other. I'm comfortable with just having 4s or 6s options with no 5s option.

Anyway, anybody else wired 3x 2s batteries in series and had success with it?

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for your reply. I've seen countless running videos of different vehicles on 5 and 6s, and I'm well aware the summit isn't really designed for 6s brushless power, but. . . yeah, I plan on doing it anyway.

The reason I'm not as interested in running 5s is I couldn't find any ******* batteries larger than 5000 mah with a high C rating that exactly matched each other. I'm comfortable with just having 4s or 6s options with no 5s option.

Anyway, anybody else wired 3x 2s batteries in series and had success with it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Where are you going to mount the third battery?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Somewhere near the front of the truck horizontally. I'd probably make some kind of bracket to help hold them there. When I make the switch to BL, I'll probably move the ESC more forward so all the wires of the series connector will reach.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I have never seen anyone do this. I don't see any reason why you couldn't... but I think it would be annoying (for me anyway) to have to swap 3 packs instead of 2 every time I was wanted to keep going. Other than that, I don't see a reason it won't work. Of course, extra weight is NOT something the summit will benefit from. Its already a 10lb + truck. It doesnt need any MORE weight.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    2s+3s is 5s and the **** 6000 fit.