RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Traxxas continues to ignore the hex slop issue. XO-1 hexes will not work.

Sigh....

This XO-1 has pretty much convinced me to not buy Traxxas again. They used to encourage us to think beyond the box, not anymore. This is coming from what used to be a huge Traxxas fanboi.

Instead of keeping with their tradition of making parts the same size across models such that we could mix and match and come up with our own creations, they seem determined to make sure their users get backed into a corner, where we can only purchase traxxas parts, specific to that vehicle.

With the Slash we could use 4slash driveshafts, revo spurs, GTR shocks, the 4xSlash steering saver, stampede radio box... It was so much fun taking parts from other vehicles and putting them on our Slash. We could create a unique vehicle, but still use all factory parts.

Not anymore. Now with the XO-1, they've needlessly made many parts a funny size, a size that doesn't cross reference to other models, even within the traxxas lineup.

The latest example is the wheel hexes....

The ERBE and every model using the 17mm hex has a long documented history of hex slop.

Along comes the XO-1, a car that requires more precision, so they redesigned the hex... I was excited to see a factory solution to such an obvious design flaw... But Traxxas made it so it cannot be used on other models. Instead of curing this issue for all the Revo, E-Revo, E-Revo Brushless, and Summit owners... or anyone wishing to run 17mm hexes...(Slayers, maybe Jato?) they went a different route, and made yet another unique non-transferrable part.

See how the two stubs use DIFFERENT thread sizes? You can still slip the XO-1 hex on, but without the center insert fitting, we'll still have slop. Its so frustrating... we could have had a factory made slop free hex that worked on all the other modelsusing a 6mm stub axle....

Could have.....

RC Racer
    thats why there are mods BUTTTTT STILL they should have made that part fit on all vehicles
    rustler vxl
    erbe
    slash4x4
    ofna lx1 pro

RC Qualifier
    Sucks man I was hoping I could use these on my erevo I have to do something different now guess the hpi parts will have to be put on my Traxxas model looks like ill end up running a Frankenstein machine after all
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Brewers, I know it man, HPI makes hexes that cure the slop, Traxxas doesn't want us using another brand, so this was a perfect opportunity to create a sweeping multi-model upgrade....

So many users of those other models would have bought new TRAXXAS hexes for their current model.... I know I would have, the HPI hexes work, but aren't a perfect solution.

RC Champion
    Are the XO-1 stub axles not compatible with the Revo drive yokes? I would think if the OD of the stub axle is the same, there would be a way to make it work.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    HPP/HHP (The guys in Germany who make the motor braces) do make some aftermarket hubs which cure the slop. Seem to remember they're quite pricey.

On the ability to transfer parts from one model to another, the XO1 is a completely different vehicle (stating the obvious). The fact that it costs as much as it does, it doesn't suprise me that the parts are specific to it. The vehicles that have Hex slop issues, Maxx, Revo's, Summit etc are all very similar.

I see your point that they've missed an opportunity to cure the issue on all models, but hopefully they'll come out with an upgraded hex that wil cure the monster trucks. PLEASE.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

RC Competitor
    It's kind of funny to read this thread because I just came from a youtube video of the new 1/16 grave digger where all the comments are bashing traxxas for reusing the same design/parts over and over again. Seems traxxas can't catch a break. Not sure if it will work but I'm thinking of adding some plumbers tape to the axles to try and reduce the hub/wheel slop plus there is a mod to take care of it and as already mentioned the HPP hubs if you have the money. If anyone tries the plumbers tape before I do post it up and tell us if it works or even if it helps with the problem.

RC Racer
    I went with Integy hubs, but still used thread locker to keep them from coming loose. Have had a problem recently plus it gave me a wider stance. Only one type of the integy are any good though. one type the hex's head strip too easily

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx View Post
    HPP/HHP (The guys in Germany who make the motor braces) do make some aftermarket hubs which cure the slop. Seem to remember they're quite pricey.
    There's aftermarket options for sure... I went the HPI route.

On the ability to transfer parts from one model to another, the XO1 is a completely different vehicle (stating the obvious). The fact that it costs as much as it does, it doesn't suprise me that the parts are specific to it. The vehicles that have Hex slop issues, Maxx, Revo's, Summit etc are all very similar.
    Disagree, the XO-1 isn't anything special, its a stretched out 4x4 Slash. 6mm stubs, 17mm hex's, nothing special there, no need at all to make an active effort to make them unique.

Tying our hands on having to use the TQi radio is a pain.

Tying our hands by not allowing us to program the ESC.

Tying our hands by making the tires a funny size so we can't run existing aftermarket wheels.

Tying our hands by not allowing the ride height to be increased

Tying our hands by using a new spur gear.

Making the hexes unique.

Tying our hands by making the wheelbase just a bit longer than anything out there, but the width the same...

Call me crazy, but when you make a car for "experts" I expect more adjustability, more options, instead we get backed into a corner with this car.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Love View Post
    It's kind of funny to read this thread because I just came from a youtube video of the new 1/16 grave digger where all the comments are bashing traxxas for reusing the same design/parts over and over again. Seems traxxas can't catch a break.

No doubt, but you won't hear that complaint from me. I think the e-revo platform is one of the best designs I've ever seen. I still believe the ERBE is the most capable chasis you can buy right now. It amazing how many different things you can do with the revo chasis, it makes perfect sense for them to reuse it in different models.

the ERBE is everything I'm asking for... it can be a monster, a GP, a drifter, a short course truck, a crawler, just about anything you can imagine you can do, simply by mixing and matching traxxas parts. I was so impressed with the ERBE, that I just couldn't wait to see what Traxxas would do next.

Now I'm a bit grumpy.
    Last edited by ducati777; 02-15-2012 at 10:25 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I am with you 100% ducatti777. When I first heard the news I was like cool... I cant wait to mix and macth parts to see what new wave of ERBEs would be seeing poping up. Now I have a bad after taste...

But Traxxas can still make use of the opportunity, would yo Traxxas?
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thank you Ray.

RC Qualifier
    While I sympathize I understand some of the issues due to the new radio system just hitting the market, a lack of a Castle update thus far, etc. and may be addressed int the coming days and weeks. With that said I completely agree with the hub issue. If the only thing stopping it is thread size it definitely makes me wonder why since on the surface it makes absolutely no sense UNLESS it was a conscious decision to separate the XO-1 parts more and focus on driving more long term revenue from replacements.

RC Qualifier
    I’m just asking.......because I notice the slop too. But I don’t remember as much slop when it was brand new; maybe a little but not like now.

It seems like the slop is coming from the excess play in the hole through the stub axle. Like the pin screw is not thick enough (dia.) to fill the void in the hole. And after normal wear and tear the hole gets enlarged creating more slop.

I have wondered about tapping threads in the hole of the stub axle and putting a bolt through the hub and axle and back into the hub.

However, this may take the slop out in one direction, but if you turn the tire/hub 90 degrees you may still have slop since the stub axle is smaller O.D. than the hub is I.D.

Any thoughts?
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ducati I see exactly what you're getting at and I agree with you on all the points you made. You've made me see sense

Is this a good opportunity to start a petition for some updated hexes??

I'm in!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep800 View Post
    It seems like the slop is coming from the excess play in the hole through the stub axle. Like the pin screw is not thick enough (dia.) to fill the void in the hole. And after normal wear and tear the hole gets enlarged creating more slop.
    You are exactly right. The old design was a 14 mm hex with a lock nut, no slop. Then they fit these 17's over the same stub, and they start off tight, but then get loose.

See the lil black cylinder at the bottom of my pic? thats a threaded insert meant to stop the slop between the threads of the stub, and the blue hex. Had they simply made that the same thread size as ALL THE OTHER 6mm stubs, I'd be ordering up more of them for my other models. Makes no sense...

The frustrating part about the hex is that it implys Traxxas doesn't do long term testing on their vehicles... its the little things that show.

Like the silly angle of the rear body pins on the XO-1... that implys they haven't taken the body on and off enough times to get annoyed by it too. I got annoyed after about 3 times, had they done them at a 45 degree angle, they would be so much easier to put in, and still wouldn't interfere with the body's contour.

In the exclusive RCCA video the head engineer brags about how many times he redesigned the aero package, sometimes making tweaks as small as 1mm. But he didn't try taking the body on and off?

Its like they walk right up to the line of brilliance, then purposely take 3 steps back. Drives me crazy.

ducati I see exactly what you're getting at and I agree with you on all the points you made. You've made me see sense

Is this a good opportunity to start a petition for some updated hexes??

I'm in!
    Good luck with that one.... consider this....

Look how the magnum transmission STILL doesn't have a sealed diff, when just about every other Traxxas model that uses a spider diff does.

The magnum transmission is used in the Rustler, Stampede, Slash... all super popular models, and all held back by the open diff. Adding a few o rings would fix this issue, and its clear that Traxxas understands the importance of a tuned diff, because nearly every other model has it!

How long has the magnum been in use? 10 plus years at least, and yet they still won't address that one. Pretty much every other short course truck on the market has a tunable diff, but not the Slash, not the truck that defined the class itself.

(takes a deep breath) Thanks for listening guys.
    Last edited by ducati777; 02-15-2012 at 01:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    See the lil black cylinder at the bottom of my pic? thats a threaded insert meant to stop the slop between the threads of the stub, and the blue hex.
    I agree……It looks like the XO-1 hubs have the same design idea as other aftermarket hubs like Integy.

I’m with you all the way. I wish Traxxas would have refined the existing 17MM hub to work with the current 6mm stub axle, instead of creating a fix that doesn’t allow existing 17MM customers to take advantage of it.

I was thinking the same thing as 1stGenCRXer.......if the XO-1 stub axles would fit on the Revo yokes?
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Competitor
    I want to get rid of some of my slop. will these work on my Erevo. http://www.ebay.com/itm/370585074263...m1423.l2649..I like the fact there are 14 and 17mm hexs. I have some tires with 14mm hex that I always want to try on my erevo. I really dont care if they shred them!!!!

Brewers, I know it man, HPI makes hexes that cure the slop, Traxxas doesn't want us using another brand, so this was a perfect opportunity to create a sweeping multi-model upgrade....

So many users of those other models would have bought new TRAXXAS hexes for their current model.... I know I would have, the HPI hexes work, but aren't a perfect solution.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    kvg, those 17's are what I use. I haven't tried the 14's... but just looking at them, I think they'd work. If not, there are always the traxxas 14's, and you can use any ol locknut from the hardware store with those...

RC Competitor
    I think Im going to pick them up. Im sick of the slop......

kvg, those 17's are what I use. I haven't tried the 14's... but just looking at them, I think they'd work. If not, there are always the traxxas 14's, and you can use any ol locknut from the hardware store with those...

RC Competitor
    Ducati do you need to shim the HPI? I thought I read that somewhere....

RC Qualifier
    Found this thread CLICK has a couple methods to fix the problem one guy actually found that you can use the 2ba brass soft tip dart barrel and make the sleeve

RC Competitor
    You can pick them up on ebay for .0625 a peice but then you have to file them down perfectly and then drill out your hexs HOPING you are drilling straight into the hexs. To much WORK!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by kvg20 View Post
    Ducati do you need to shim the HPI? I thought I read that somewhere....
    Yes, I used the 6mm teflon washers from Traxxas to get them shimmed up, took like 4 per wheel.

This is why I say its not a perfect solution.... they work pretty well, but that leaves a gap between the hex and the knuckle. After I started wrapping fishing line on my tires, I've had it get in that gap.

Last edited by ducati777; 02-17-2012 at 12:39 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What??? I just found this thread, and I specifically bought the new hexes from the XO-1 two weeks ago for my ERBE, and as I live outside the US I haven't received them yet... But, now that I know about this, I want my money back!!!
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

I have to agree with Summit Love on this one. No matter what Traxxas does it just seems some people complain. IF THE parts are interchangeable with other modes then the complaint is there is nothing new it is just a re hashing of the same old thing. Now the parts are totally new and wont fit across different platforms and the complaint is they wont fit older models.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, I agree with that too... But, you know, he's right too...

RC Qualifier
    The issue were talking about is amongst a few different models an updated hex for the existing owners would be enough to keep us happy...
    Company knowing there is a problem with the design would only make sense to work on correcting it. Personally it wouldn't bother me what so ever to spend $10-$20 to stop the wobble manufacture's often realize from test or reviews that there is a issue and ask customers to contact them for recalls its not that big of a deal

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I have to agree with Summit Love on this one. No matter what Traxxas does it just seems some people complain. IF THE parts are interchangeable with other modes then the complaint is there is nothing new it is just a re hashing of the same old thing. Now the parts are totally new and wont fit across different platforms and the complaint is they wont fit older models.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and although i agree completely with the general statement of people sure to complain about reusing parts, the hex slop is something I'm sure most people wouldn't mind there being an across all platforms that use 17mm with a 6mm stub fix. If i had to pick a complaint i hear all the time thats it.

On my ERBE-gt i was so close to saying aww forget it and buying the Tekno carrier/hub set up just so i didn't have to use the Revo 17mm hubs. Ended up using hpi 17mm hexes and shimming behind them to make it work.
    (RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I arrived home and the XO-1 hexes were waiting for me... It's not that hard to fix the problem, just get a 8mm aluminum round bar, drill a hole, make the thread and that's it... I don't have the tools at home but I'll see if I can do something at work next week and post pictures... It wouldn't be that hard for Traxxas to offer a new insert, let's give them some time, shall we?

RC poster

I love the adapters

These adapters are not similar to Revo, Maxx, or any of the large vihicles. They are 6mm adapters that function like the ones Traxxas makes for the Slash and the screw is exactly the same. They even have the same part number. What Traxxas needs to do is make their adapters for their larger trucks the same as the ones for the Slash. I know that Traxxas and AKA sell their set screws separately so I plan to get these and try and see if I can find the set screws somewhere else. BTW, these worked great on my FT SC10 4WD... weird because NO ONE makes anything that would fit it. Now I can use my XO-1 tires on the SC10, I'm planning on making a street racer with it so that's why I love these adapters.

Sigh....

This XO-1 has pretty much convinced me to not buy Traxxas again. They used to encourage us to think beyond the box, not anymore. This is coming from what used to be a huge Traxxas fanboi.

Instead of keeping with their tradition of making parts the same size across models such that we could mix and match and come up with our own creations, they seem determined to make sure their users get backed into a corner, where we can only purchase traxxas parts, specific to that vehicle.

With the Slash we could use 4slash driveshafts, revo spurs, GTR shocks, the 4xSlash steering saver, stampede radio box... It was so much fun taking parts from other vehicles and putting them on our Slash. We could create a unique vehicle, but still use all factory parts.

Not anymore. Now with the XO-1, they've needlessly made many parts a funny size, a size that doesn't cross reference to other models, even within the traxxas lineup.

The latest example is the wheel hexes....

The ERBE and every model using the 17mm hex has a long documented history of hex slop.

Along comes the XO-1, a car that requires more precision, so they redesigned the hex... I was excited to see a factory solution to such an obvious design flaw... But Traxxas made it so it cannot be used on other models. Instead of curing this issue for all the Revo, E-Revo, E-Revo Brushless, and Summit owners... or anyone wishing to run 17mm hexes...(Slayers, maybe Jato?) they went a different route, and made yet another unique non-transferrable part.

See how the two stubs use DIFFERENT thread sizes? You can still slip the XO-1 hex on, but without the center insert fitting, we'll still have slop. Its so frustrating... we could have had a factory made slop free hex that worked on all the other modelsusing a 6mm stub axle....

Could have.....

RC Racer
    Do the LST dive train upgrade, no slop there.

RC Qualifier
    If you feel the need to bash on Traxxas, do it elsewhere.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-21-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    KNEE INJURIES HURT !!!

RC Qualifier
    I agree I dislike the stock hubs on the ERBE and that a relatively simple redesign to add a screw on bushing over the threads of the stub axle would completely cure any problems I don't see why people are complaining about it so much. Most people that complain about it also wouldn't have a problem buying an upgraded hub from Traxxas but apparently can't be bothered to buy HPI hubs or HPP hubs.

I bought the HPP hubs and they are amazing, they eliminated any slob in the stub axles and in the wheels. Now I just need to get that wobbly Trencher replaced.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit Love View Post
    It's kind of funny to read this thread because I just came from a youtube video of the new 1/16 grave digger where all the comments are bashing traxxas for reusing the same design/parts over and over again.
    Them comments are probably from people that are other rc brand users and/or trx haters.

I personally didnt like the hpi hexs because of the tiny hex screw that holds the wheel on. I like using the 17mm wrench. It would have been nice if the xo1 hexs where a easy swap fix.

What if trx just made a revo axle thats not threaded at the end?
    Last edited by Foxprogt; 10-28-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

Quote Originally Posted by 65535 View Post
    I bought the HPP hubs and they are amazing, they eliminated any slob in the stub axles and in the wheels. Now I just need to get that wobbly Trencher replaced.
    I bought the HPP hubs...they are brilliant. I like the fact that you still use the 17mm wheel nut .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Not to mention if you want the HPP motor brace adding the hubs saves on shipping.

Plus they send you Haribo gold bears. That alone is worth at least $5 US.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxprogt View Post
    What if trx just made a revo axle thats not threaded at the end?
    I think the issue there is the shafts are the same between the E-Revo and the BL E-Revo the former which uses 14mm plastic hexes and a 5mm nut (6mm?).

Quite frankly it would really only add 1 turning op to the hexes in machining to add a counter bore on the threaded end of the hubs to fit a threaded bushing onto the shaft like the XO-1 uses.

RC Champion
    Trx could add the 17mm hardware to the brushed revo. ( axle, hexs, and wheels.) and discontinue the 14mm talons.....

or yeah they could simply make a counter bore like the xo1s..... I wonder why they even put threads on the xo1s axles if they are unique to that car O.o
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    How about simply using XO1 carriers, bearings and driveshafts? Then you can run the hubs too. Before you complain that it's too many parts, re-read your previous statements about liking using different parts across vehicles. As far as I can see the problem is the bearings and axles... Probably not a hard fix if you get creative.

I also fully agree that it appears Traxxas can't win. They build comparable platforms and %50 of people are mad, they build a completley new platform and %50 of people are upset teh parts are fully interchangeable.

Boo how, if you don't like it, there are tons of other companies you can buy equally as frustrating vehicles from.

For what it's worth, you can very very easily fix the slop problem in 10 minutes for less than $10. Use the HPI wheel nuts and cut the threaded end off the stock Traxxas 17mm adapter. No shims needed, no slop at all. Ive been using this setup on my revo all summer and it doesn't show a hint of slop. I even started with sloppy hexes and they are tight now. I have a thread about it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ