Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8s xo-1 ???

RC Competitor

8s xo-1 ???

I just purchased the xo-1 and im waiting for it to show up in the mail... it is my first brushless car and I really don't know much about brushless... What I want to know is how do you determine how much power a esc or motor can handle and mostly can the stock xo-1 system handle 8s power thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Up to 6S...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer
    Yup, up to 6S, another fine case of wanting to RUN, before you walk!

RC Competitor
    Really and you know me how??? I have 93mph big block nitro jato that I am sure requires more skill to drive than this xo-1 I bought this car for the soul purpose of running 130-140 but I am new to brushless so I was simply wondering how much I was gonna have to gut...

So could I change the esc and run 8s or will both have to go...

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    You could change your ESC for the Mamba XL 2 found in Castle Creations' 1/5th scale conversion kit.

RC Competitor
    You can run the 8s, but I would do so for short periods as it will heat up the motor. Also the stock tires are good only till 118mph I think

RC Competitor
    Ive done the xl2 conversion. Its great. I actually took out the bashing 1717 motor and put a 2200 in it. It was faster by just changing the motor. Ive ran 8s for just a min. It will be very fast

RC Competitor
    Ill be running 2 hyperion 5000 4s 35 c lipos

RC Competitor
    I've heard some negatives about the stock esc such as it rolls the power in slowly and makes take offs a little sluggish compared to what it could be but everything I've read about the motor has seemed good and that it has tons of power so I'm kinda
    surprised to hear that the 2200 would be faster I would have thought that traxxas would have simply used the 2200 and sold the car for less if that was a faster motor... I mean what was the point in spending all that time and research in designing a motor that was slower than what they already had...

I plan on adding some additional cooling fans I don't want it to get hot all the time... I have often wondered if I ever got into brushless hardcore if I could take a watercooled boat motor/esc a nitro fuel tank (fill it with water) and a little electric air pump(to pressurize the tank and circulate the water) and run a water cooled setup in a car/truck and you could still run fans also

RC Competitor
    Actually a Custom v pulley and one of those fake nitro supercharges might be perfect for pressurizing a water tank...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    And then what? If you use air pressure, you'll just empty the tank.

RC Racer
    This post has been edited to remove unnecessary rude comments that amount to flaming. If you cant keep it civil and constructive it is best to keep it to yourself.

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-15-2012 at 12:30 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    And then what? If you use air pressure, you'll just empty the tank.
    I have the idea the air pressure is for water circulation?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_SPEED_JUNKIE View Post
    Actually a Custom v pulley and one of those fake nitro supercharges might be perfect for pressurizing a water tank...
    This system illustrates arguably the cleanest water cooling approach http://www.tcscooling.com/, mind you if it's just a speed run car, you'll probably only push out a few runs before letting it cool down anyway right?

RC Competitor
    Run it in a loop so it runs out Of the tank threw the motor/esc and back in the tank a simple one way check valve on the return line would be all that would be needed

RC Competitor
    Nice link pbo that looks sweet and that basically makes my idea pointless lol

RC Competitor
    And what would be really sweet is if that radiator could fit in the cooling duct of the xo-1 of course you would need to instal some kind of metal mesh to protect it from rocks but still very interesting!!!

RC Champion
    There is already a water cooling setup but I can't remember who makes it. Even has a little radiator.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Wow, 8s I didn't know existed now, but 6s is as high you can go without getting that ESC toasted...
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Silversrt4 View Post
    Ive done the xl2 conversion. Its great. I actually took out the bashing 1717 motor and put a 2200 in it. It was faster by just changing the motor. Ive ran 8s for just a min. It will be very fast
    . get some vids, can't wait....

RC Competitor
    Sorry asking for advise about a non Traxxas vehcile is not allowed

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-17-2012 at 09:12 AM.

RC Racer
    How much running in stock form did you do before the switch?

RC Competitor
    I ran 2 or 3 days with stock set up

RC Qualifier
    Really and you know me how??? I have 93mph big block nitro jato that I am sure requires more skill to drive than this xo-1 I bought this car for the soul purpose of running 130-140 but I am new to brushless so I was simply wondering how much I was gonna have to gut...

So could I change the esc and run 8s or will both have to go...

Thanks
    thats one fast jato do you have pics or vids to back that up not try to come off rude but with a number like that everyone is asked to prove it

RC Racer
    I ran 2 or 3 days with stock set up
    Let me rephrase that. How many times did you get it up to triple digit speeds in stock form?

RC Competitor
    I have converted my xo-1 to 8s power with a custom water cooling system and custom fans stiffer springs sway bars I also bought a extra set of rear wheels And tires for the front of my xo-1 (extra traction) I also flipped the rear suspension arms once i recieve the fittings To complete the cooling system it should be ready to run I'm hopeing to hit 130+ and I will take vids!!! my jato was never video recorded as I have never been apart of a online community before... And never had a reason to seeing everyone i care about was there and seen it.. But seeing I'm on here now and that seems to be the big thing I will defiantly get vids

I will defiantly get vids
    A Pic or vid can speak a thousand words....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like its gonna be the first of its kinds with the water cooling. Would love to see some pics of the work in progress.

RC Champion
    Yes, pics please.
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    There is already a water cooling setup but I can't remember who makes it. Even has a little radiator.

Fine designs rc did an inferno. It could prob be adapted to a xo-1

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Eagerly awaiting pics of the watercooled xo-1..........

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DustinBajaSS View Post
    Fine designs rc did an inferno. It could prob be adapted to a xo-1

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    The TCS system was actually the one I was thinking of. Didn't even notice the link when I posted.

Jeremy

RC Competitor
    I really want to get it buttoned up and then post the pics but let me see what I can do...

Just found out my 4s batteries are back ordered... So that sucks!!!

I didnt do the tcs kit I did a hrc 1717 water jacket with a magicool mini dual 40mm fan radiator and a maxamps water pump I'm also thinking about building a water cooling plate for the Xl2 esc not sure yet but I'm thinking I might as well!!!

RC Competitor
    here is acouple pics but please remember it is far from finished all the brackets wil be painted black or possible blue.... i havent got my fittings for the water jacket yet and im still waiting on radiator fans tubing and my xl2 esc to show up in the mail. i will be making a water cooled mounting plate for the esc in acouple days once it shows up...

radiator bracket
    [IMG]img_0483[/IMG]
    castle 20series fan bracket
    [IMG]img_0495[/IMG]
    hrc1717 water jacket
    [IMG]img_0494[/IMG]
    water pump bracket
    [IMG]img_0475[/IMG]

[IMG]img_0492[/IMG]
    [IMG]img_0487[/IMG]
    [IMG]img_0493[/IMG]
    [IMG]img_0490[/IMG]

RC Competitor
    looks like i will have to email them to someone becuase i cant seem to get them to show up

RC Competitor
    ok guys made a quick and simple vid esc will be mounted the same way as the radiator only it will be close to the motor and will be on a water cooled mounting plate

im also thinking i might have all my brackets hydro dipped in carbon fiber as well as my front diffuser side plates rear diffuser and wing

RC Champion
    Email pics to ponie1992@AOL.com.

Jeremy

RC Champion
    ok guys made a quick and simple vid esc will be mounted the same way as the radiator only it will be close to the motor and will be on a water cooled mounting plate

im also thinking i might have all my brackets hydro dipped in carbon fiber as well as my front diffuser side plates rear diffuser and wing

Hard for me to tell exactly what you have going on there. Send me some pics and I'll post them up.
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    Why havent CC and other leading manufacturers started doing watercooled options for their hi end motors? Not the full lineup of motors, but just the hi end of their products. They may not be used in racing cause of the added weight, but it would be nice for people like us that do a lot of hi speed runs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Because the NACA duct is very effective at cooling... air in general can be very effective at cooling. Harley Davidson motorcycles, lawnmowers, nearly all airplanes, older Porsches... all air cooled.

The XO has a fantastic cooling system... other car manufacturers should take note, some well directed air goes a long way.