Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8s xo-1 ???

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    I disagree. What's the difference in running lets say a slash in the rain it through puddles with a lipo battery. You think the battery is gonna stay dry? Me thinks no. And people do it all the time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    I think he has a point - a non waterproof ESC isn't something you want to pump water over/into & that potential does exist

RC Champion
    double post

RC Competitor
    Dude take a few ounces of water and hit it with 100mph gust of air and watch it turn to mist.... if my car blows over at 110+ the last thing I'm worried about is a little water that's just silly... Also those who are running 8s are probably only making a couple passes and shutting it down my car should run non stop as lOng as I want

RC Champion
    On second thought I'll stay out of this. Good luck PBO.
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 03-09-2012 at 04:29 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PBO View Post
    I think he has a point - a non waterproof ESC isn't something you want to pump water over/into & that potential does exist
    He said lipo powered so I assumed he talking batteries. Maybe he will clarify what was meant.

Jeremy

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_SPEED_JUNKIE View Post
    Dude take a few ounces of water and hit it with 100mph gust of air and watch it turn to mist.... if my car blows over at 110+ the last thing I'm worried about is a little water that's just silly... Also those who are running 8s are probably only making a couple passes and shutting it down my car should run non stop as lOng as I want
    Again, i just ran 8S XL2 on a car the size of the XO-1 at 112 MPH ............with out any temp issues what so ever........ I don't mean to be rude but its proven.........water cooling is not needed im running a 8th scale truggy. Heat was not a issue, i ran my car till the battery died. I plan on gearing higher as i believe i can get 125-130MPH out of this set up.

Regardless of what any Lipo company claims there is no such thing as a water proof lipo, if you notice every water test always shows the plugs and balance tab out of water. Sure the chances of a problem are slim but the threat is there. I was referring to the fact you using a non water proof ESC and the fact that eventually it will be a problem and seeing the XO-1 track record of flipping and crashing i see you having problems sooner than later. I was just providing a fair warning. Either way i think im done here and ive made my point clear regardless if anyone agrees with me or not. Before we start beating this dead horse any further, i wish you luck on your attempt.

PS: remember the XL2 isnt a VXL......water damaged isn't covered by castle period its a substantial $ risk your taking.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamizFinest View Post
    Again, i just ran 8S XL2 on a car the size of the XO-1 at 112 MPH ............with out any temp issues what so ever........ I don't mean to be rude but its proven.........water cooling is not needed im running a 8th scale truggy. Heat was not a issue, i ran my car till the battery died. I plan on gearing higher as i believe i can get 125-130MPH out of this set up.

Regardless of what any Lipo company claims there is no such thing as a water proof lipo, if you notice every water test always shows the plugs and balance tab out of water. Sure the chances of a problem are slim but the threat is there. I was referring to the fact you using a non water proof ESC and the fact that eventually it will be a problem and seeing the XO-1 track record of flipping and crashing i see you having problems sooner than later. I was just providing a fair warning. Either way i think im done here and ive made my point clear regardless if anyone agrees with me or not. Before we start beating this dead horse any further, i wish you luck on your attempt.

PS: remember the XL2 isnt a VXL......water damaged isn't covered by castle period its a substantial $ risk your taking.
    I don't believe a 1/8 truggy is the same size as the XO-1. I have a 1/8 buggy and it isn't even close.

Jeremy

RC Racer
    I used to be into scalers (honcho). And i would drive it through cricks and small rivers. My lipo's would be 100% completely submerged at times and I never had a problem with them. And I also did nothing more than shake the excess water out of them before recharging them. Obviously no manufacturers would endorse such use, but this has been my experience.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    I don't believe a 1/8 truggy is the same size as the XO-1. I have a 1/8 buggy and it isn't even close.

XO-1 is 15.91 wheel base
    Losi 8ight-T 2.0 is 15.09 wheel base

So we are talking less than and inch difference in wheel base which is what really matters here. Also i can tell you owning both cars the truggy is heavier than the XO-1 fully built. I don't have a scale so i cant weigh my truggy just this second but to give you an idea the nitro truggy RTR nitro fueled up is exactly 9 pounds according to there website. Brushless power set ups like this are always heavier than there nitro counter parts. Calculate how much heavier the 1717 is than the standard big block nitro motor......and then factor in a 8S pack plus ESC.....

Believe my friend BELIEVE.......

PS: buggies are always much shorter than there truggy counter parts

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamizFinest View Post

PS: buggies are always much shorter than there truggy counter parts
    I wasn't aware of this. I thought they were pretty much the same. I stand corrected.
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Buggies are 2-3" shorter than truggys depending on make & model

MiamizFinest, what sort of wheels/tyres are you using for 112mph on your truggy?

RC Competitor
    Just upgraded my canards they now have virtually no flex were before they were very flimsy now when I push on them they compress my shocks with 2.3mm springs!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KUPi...e_gdata_player

RC Champion
    ^ I like that..
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Competitor
    When you do it make sure you drill your hole in the right spot try to split the difference front to back and I made mine so the hole was right in front of the lip on the underneath side of the canard just make sure to leave enough space for bolt head so it doesn't bind up on that lip if you look at the bottom of yours you will see what I'm talking about

RC Champion
    That's pretty nice work there. I like it.
    Jeremy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    cool idea.

RC Competitor
    Thanks I just felt like they were way to flimsy if I barley touched them they wiggled so I could only image how much they must shake and bend at 100mph

I'm gonna get some aluminum ends for it the plastic ones have a little play in them so when I change the ends it will be rock solid and function the way they were intend to function

RC Competitor
    I put carbon fiber wheelie bars on my car today I have two rear diffusers so if it's not needed I'll just use them on something else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RinKj...e_gdata_player

RC Competitor
    I put carbon fiber wheelie bars on my car today I have two rear diffusers so if it's not needed I'll just use them on something else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RinKj...e_gdata_player

RC Competitor
    Ordered a 36 tooth and a 42 tooth pinion gear today this thing is gonna fly with the 42 on 8s lol that is if my batteries ever show up!!!

RC Champion
    Ordered a 36 tooth and a 42 tooth pinion gear today this thing is gonna fly with the 42 on 8s lol that is if my batteries ever show up!!!
    Don't forget to video!

Jeremy

RC Champion
    How do you plan to run a gear bigger than 36t pinion? Looks like it will hit shock spring.
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Competitor
    I flipped my rear arms and my shocks are now on the back side I have no limitations when it comes to space

RC Competitor
    Ok so I got the 42t pinion gear and it's huge lol I haven't tried to instal it yet but it looks like the only complication will be the chassis floor actually it's not the chassis but the diffuser it MAY take a little dremel work to get it to fit but I have extra diffusers just for experimenting so we will see what it's gonna take to get it in there here soon i will post a vid once I get it in there

I will say the gear that I ordered is thinner than the stock pinion gear and I'm not sure if that gonna make excessive wear on the spur gear but it will only be in for a couple insane speed runs and then I will go back to the 34 or 36

RC Competitor
    Also I would like to add for those who keep saying my water cooling system serves no real purpose go read the thread "a great day of running" this is exactly what I planned to fix!!!

Traxxas them selves clearly say not to run the car at lower speeds as it will over heat and ducati777 clearly states when trying to race around with others cars in a short coarse setup his thermal alarm went off several times I garuntee I will not have to worry about this at all

Again does it have to have it NOPE but will it serve a purpose YOU BET IT WILL!!!!

RC Champion
    Cool brotha looking forward to seeing it.
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Racer
    dont forget the old school vw bugs ! lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Also I would like to add for those who keep saying my water cooling system serves no real purpose go read the thread "a great day of running" this is exactly what I planned to fix!!!

Traxxas them selves clearly say not to run the car at lower speeds as it will over heat and ducati777 clearly states when trying to race around with others cars in a short coarse setup his thermal alarm went off several times I garuntee I will not have to worry about this at all

Again does it have to have it NOPE but will it serve a purpose YOU BET IT WILL!!!!

Oooo I'm named!

Yep, 34 pinion, racing on a short course caused my motor to run hotter than I would have liked. Also, that alarm comes on at its own level, doesn't seem to matter if you change it on the dashboard....

So I guess the question is would I prefer better slow speed cooling, or regearing each time I move from speed venue to racing venue...

Option 1 certainly sounds easier...

But I'll stick with Option 2 for now... I'll regear for Saturday so I don't have to worry about temps this weekend. If I'm geared too tall, I'm wasting energy through heat. Sure we could build a bigger cooling system, but I prefer to run more efficiently.

Now... if someone could just make a nuclear, or infinite energy battery.... we could use gigantic cooling systems and disregard efficiency! Hmmmm a man can dream.

RC Champion
    +1^, four screws and a grub and your done swapping pinions.

Would you drive your real car locked in overdrive in the city?

RC Competitor
    Dude my car on 8s won't care what pinion gear is in there get over it

Here is a update I have everything mounted and plumbed I decided not to use the fans over the motor this is how it's gonna be only with 4s lipos I will do the wiring probably Sunday or Monday

And then I will focuse on exterior appearance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GakD3...e_gdata_player

RC Champion
    Can I suggest some cable/zip ties on that plumbing

RC Champion
    Dude my car on 8s won't care what pinion gear is in there get over it

Here is a update I have everything mounted and plumbed I decided not to use the fans over the motor this is how it's gonna be only with 4s lipos I will do the wiring probably Sunday or Monday

And then I will focuse on exterior appearance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GakD3...e_gdata_player
    Which batteries you gonna run? I was gonna use two gens ace 4s hard cases but they are too tall. Gonna have to use soft packs I guess.

Jeremy

RC Competitor
    Ohh yeah it will get that or maybe something else if I can find something that looks better all plumbing is 1/4" so I was hopeing to find some cool clamps "aluminum/chrome" from like jegs or summit for show cars just to really set it off

RC Racer
    Hey junkie, did you get those pm's I sent you?

RC Competitor
    The batteries I order are the 65-130c 5000mah ******* I'm not sure if im going to be able to use the factory clamps... I will come up with something when they come if they dont fit in there... I know I'm going to eventually order the thunder power g6 70c 7700mah but they are expensive

I have built all of this for less then the original price of the car I paid 975 shipped and sold my complete telemetry system with the esc for 525 plus I even bought a charger and I think I'm just now back close to my original purchase price!!! Lol

RC Competitor
    I haven't had a chance to check it i did c you comment on utube I just had a baby last week and been working a lot of hours so its been hecktic I will check it and send you a detailed list here soon

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So what's left? When will you drive it?

RC Racer
    I haven't had a chance to check it i did c you comment on utube I just had a baby last week and been working a lot of hours so its been hecktic I will check it and send you a detailed list here soon

Congrats on the baby. Good luck sleeping lol.

RC Competitor
    Thanks man!!

Should have it ready to run by the time I get my lipos wich they are on there way just not sure how long it will take to get to Ohio from china...

RC Competitor
    This might be silly but has anyone considered a parachute system for the xo-1 to help minimize damadge when the car goes airborne I know that it would take some quick reflexes but I watched a vid of a guy runnin 130+ (wich is what i am shotting for) with a rc car and when it went airborne I know it had to have went 30+ feet high and if he had a parachute it defiantly would have reduced impact...

http://www.the-rocketman.com/dragsterschutes.html