Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8s xo-1 ???

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG23 View Post
    Why havent CC and other leading manufacturers started doing watercooled options for their hi end motors? Not the full lineup of motors, but just the hi end of their products. They may not be used in racing cause of the added weight, but it would be nice for people like us that do a lot of hi speed runs.
    Because they know if you need water cooling for a land car, your doing something wrong. With the advance in lipo technology there is no need for water cooling.

I just ran the black can 1717 with a XL2 ESC on 8S on a car the same size as the XO-1 at 112MPH on the first test.....and i had no temp issues...... water cooling is pointless unless your doing something wrong......
    Last edited by MiamizFinest; 03-06-2012 at 11:33 PM.

RC Champion
    Why havent CC and other leading manufacturers started doing watercooled options for their hi end motors? Not the full lineup of motors, but just the hi end of their products. They may not be used in racing cause of the added weight, but it would be nice for people like us that do a lot of hi speed runs.
    Watercooling is a novel idea & it's going to be interesting to see what RC_SPEED_JUNKIE comes up with but it's largely redundant because fans are readily available (for those interested in cooling an 'overloaded' system) & as ducati777 has highlighted conventional air cooling is generally fine for comfortable set ups

In respect to speed run vehicles - most people are divided into two schools of thought...

1. Run a reliable setup that generates huge amounts of torque. Typically low KV motors & large voltage - not much cooling required
    2. Unstable setup with (comparably) that generates speed through RPM. Typically moderate to high KV motors & large voltage - make a few passes & stop to let the system cool down

RC_SPEED_JUNKIE is fitting into the second group by increasing his voltage & subsequently RPM. Watercooling may work but I predict it will be fragile & maybe less efficient than the NACA duct already in place or a couple of fans?

I can't recall seeing any 100+mph vehicles that use any form of fan or liquid cooling, it just increases the acceleration & braking distances

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by PBO View Post
    Watercooling is a novel idea & it's going to be interesting to see what RC_SPEED_JUNKIE comes up with but it's largely redundant because fans are readily available (for those interested in cooling an 'overloaded' system) & as ducati777 has highlighted conventional air cooling is generally fine for comfortable set ups

In respect to speed run vehicles - most people are divided into two schools of thought...

1. Run a reliable setup that generates huge amounts of torque. Typically low KV motors & large voltage - not much cooling required
    2. Unstable setup with (comparably) that generates speed through RPM. Typically moderate to high KV motors & large voltage - make a few passes & stop to let the system cool down

RC_SPEED_JUNKIE is fitting into the second group by increasing his voltage & subsequently RPM. Watercooling may work but I predict it will be fragile & maybe less efficient than the NACA duct already in place or a couple of fans?

I can't recall seeing any 100+mph vehicles that use any form of fan or liquid cooling, it just increases the acceleration & braking distances
    I think you missed my point entirely, as we speak..........I have a car same size as the XO-1 (inch shorter actually) Using the black can 1717 from a XO-1, with a XL2 ESC........ON 8S doing 112MPH with no HEAT ISSUES WHAT SO EVER. Yesterday was my first test run im jumping up the gearing to push into 120+MPH and i can tell you first hand there is NO HEAT ISSUE. The OP is building basically a novility thing and that's fine if he wants too buts its not needed with his set up at all.....

My main point is as his car sits, he can run 8S and not have heat issues......I JUST DID IT LAST NIGHT

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Right, what RC junkie is doing is more just because he can, not because there is any advantage to his efforts.

I love the idea of water cooling, even if it serves no real purpose. Its one more unique car out there.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 03-07-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Content

Some posts in this thread have been edited, some removed. Guys if you want to complain about the rules or moderation of this forum then you should PM a mod or use the eamil address provided in the rules to voice your concern. Complaining about the rules or the moderation of this forum in the open forum is in itself against the rules we all agreed to when we signed up for this forum.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamizFinest View Post
    I think you missed my point entirely, as we speak..........I have a car same size as the XO-1 (inch shorter actually) Using the black can 1717 from a XO-1, with a XL2 ESC........ON 8S doing 112MPH with no HEAT ISSUES WHAT SO EVER. Yesterday was my first test run im jumping up the gearing to push into 120+MPH and i can tell you first hand there is NO HEAT ISSUE. The OP is building basically a novility thing and that's fine if he wants too buts its not needed with his set up at all.....

My main point is as his car sits, he can run 8S and not have heat issues......I JUST DID IT LAST NIGHT
    EXCELLENT!!!!

I wasn't responding to your post & made general comments about speed run vehicles. If you can run 8S through a 1717 - congratulations!!!! but no need to shout about it

RC Racer
    Last time i check there's no shout button on the keyboard........you specifically claimed speedjunkie was falling into the second catagory in you post which was simply not true. No need to get bent out of shape just because you where wrong.....some people.....

RC Racer
    Hey miami, will the black can 1717 fit in your mugen?

RC Racer
    I think so, haven't tryed it!

RC Champion
    Last time i check there's no shout button on the keyboard........you specifically claimed speedjunkie was falling into the second catagory in you post which was simply not true. No need to get bent out of shape just because you where wrong.....some people.....
    I'm not sure how I'm wrong, I made general comments to describe different approaches

In the second scenario increasing voltage to increase RPM is what is being done here. The stock setup runs lower voltage...ergo; what I have said is correct & I made no assertion about whether it would be hot or not

Using caps is generally considered shouting in forums - FYI

RC Racer
    I think so, haven't tryed it!
    C'mon man, you gunna make me beg for details? lol how did that work out?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by PBO View Post
    I'm not sure how I'm wrong, I made general comments to describe different approaches

In the second scenario increasing voltage to increase RPM is what is being done here. The stock setup runs lower voltage...ergo; what I have said is correct & I made no assertion about whether it would be hot or not

Using caps is generally considered shouting in forums - FYI
    I believe in your second classification, you said that higher kv, and higher voltage is employed, causing more heat. I think miami is saying that isnt the case cause only the voltage is increased in his setup, not the kv. I believe this is just a simple missunderstanding gentlemen...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Shrug, however on the XO we're gearing limited already.... only real choice is raising volts, or higher KV motor...

I keep thinking it might be possible to put the 4x4 slipper in, which would open up the 36 tooth mod1 spur... but its going to take some trickery as things aren't the same size.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Shrug, however on the XO we're gearing limited already.... only real choice is raising volts, or higher KV motor...

I keep thinking it might be possible to put the 4x4 slipper in, which would open up the 36 tooth mod1 spur... but its going to take some trickery as things aren't the same size.

I think this is the next step, revo spec slipper. I think it is necessary to try and make the car a bit more stable at speed before we really push the top end up further. I think shocks are the next step with that. There is no droop in the current setup, so as soon as the car gets light, the tires are off the ground.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Right, if we can make the 4Slash slipper fit, in theory maybe we can get a ERBE spec slipper with aluminum pads in there. Its curious that Traxxas went with a cush drive instead of one of their existing slipper setups.

This is just speculating.... but I figure at speed the car generates downforce, which makes the tires stick, which means you'd have to run the slipper much tighter than you'd expect. Maybe so tight that they found themselves just cranking it down full tight, and then blowing spur gears.

Can you name another car that uses a cush drive?

BUT..... then they make the cush drive so large that we can't fit a smaller, or ANY of the existing spurs made by Traxxas. That frustrates me, because this car is a real departure from Traxxas's history of making cars with transferrable parts. I'm still grumpy that the better hexes on the XO-1 seem delibrately designed so they can't be transferred to any other models.

I think the shocks are ok, the GTR shocks are a proven design. You could always run the variable dampers... although I'm not sure what the advantage would be.

Droop is an interesting question. Again, the design of the XO-1 is tying our hands here. There is very little room for droop, as the car's ride height is next to unadjustable. Curved A arms.... they would let us set a much wider range of ride height, but it'd also allow us to run aftermarket tires, which Traxxas is set on making sure we don't do.

RC Racer
    I havent tinkered with the chassis of the xo to much yet, but that will change since I have a lot of repairs to do. Is there something besides the fully extended shock that keeps the a arms from drooping? Will the a arms droop further if the shocks are removed? (i am at work)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There is more room in front... but in the rear the moulding from the difuser ducts limit the down travel of the A-arms. You can flip the arms and get a bit more droop, but the alignment just didn't look right to me.

I'll admit I didn't drive it with reversed arms though.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...he-rear-a-arms!

RC Racer
    Maybe a dremel will make more space...

RC Competitor
    The xo overheats if ran at low speeds i dont feel that is a excellent cooling system

Ponie1992 I received some new parts so once I get those in place I will send you some pics

RC Competitor
    Also I am building the water cooling system mostly becuase I want too because I like to tinker as much as drive so I'm just having fun with my car in my way

I will still have the cooling duct plus fans the main reason for the water cooling is gonna be mostly so I don't have to remove the high speed gearing to run the car around at lower speeds as I will also probably have some custom gearing made and would rather have my car designed to run however I want to run it without pulling it apart Depending on how I want to drive it that day

That's not novelty that's a better design!!!
    Last edited by RC_SPEED_JUNKIE; 03-08-2012 at 05:19 PM.

RC Racer
    I am still excited to see the completed build, and videos of it in operation. I think it will exceed the stock cooling performance, but by how much is the question. There has been chatter from castle about 10s and 12s esc in the works. So this thread may become much more relavent in the near future.

RC Competitor

RC Racer
    That's very cool!!

But seriously not needed for the motor

The problem will be the ESC

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I am still excited to see the completed build, and videos of it in operation. I think it will exceed the stock cooling performance, but by how much is the question. There has been chatter from castle about 10s and 12s esc in the works. So this thread may become much more relavent in the near future.
    They can't even get the xl2 to run on 8s with out burning up they going to go to 10/12s what a joke

RC Competitor
    Well I'm considering water cooling my xl2 as well... I'm also going to put additional capacitors on it... Hopefully it holds up!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_SPEED_JUNKIE View Post
    Well I'm considering water cooling my xl2 as well... I'm also going to put additional capacitors on it... Hopefully it holds up!!!
    I'm running a xl2 with 8s on one of my xo-1 no problem at all now the first xl2 cough on fire. Tires are going to be more of a problem than heat

Its cool what you are doing but point less really sorry

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by racksteris View Post
    I'm running a xl2 with 8s on one of my xo-1 no problem at all now the first xl2 cough on fire. Tires are going to be more of a problem than heat

Agreed, I believe its really novelty which is OK but in no way shape or form needed!

From an engineering standpoint, all i see is added unused weight.

RC Champion
    The xo overheats if ran at low speeds i dont feel that is a excellent cooling system

Ponie1992 I received some new parts so once I get those in place I will send you some pics
    Sounds good man!
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Man that thing is wild looking!
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Looking Good and nice clean installation!! Very Nice, thats what the hobby is all about..
    now let me have lol
    Last edited by Kitchen; 03-08-2012 at 11:06 PM.

RC Competitor
    I don't doubt that I can run the car without it all I hoped to gain was low speed cooling traxxas says not to run the car for a extended period of time at low speeds with the high speed gearing or it will over heat. I doubt I will have to worry about that im also going to run a bigger pinion gear wich will cause more heat and lastly it's not unneeded weight considering guys are stuffing wheel waits on these cars just to run 100-110 I want to hit 130
    Last edited by RC_SPEED_JUNKIE; 03-09-2012 at 05:10 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by racksteris View Post

So were is the vids of these 8s xo-1's everyone supposedly has but yet not one vid anywhere of anyone actually runnin this car on 8s not saying you haven't done it I just want to see it one thread I read a guy says his xo-1 pulls the front wheels on take off I'd like to see that I have a awsome idea for a carbon fiber wheelie bar but it will cost roughly 90 dollars to do it

RC Racer
    what would be the point of running the high speed 34 tooth pinion at LOW SPEEDS??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddaniels View Post
    what would be the point of running the high speed 34 tooth pinion at LOW SPEEDS??
    Lulz on 8s. For "extended periods".

Going to be the fastest slow car ever made.

RC Competitor
    It's not that I'm gonna its just if I am just messin around drifting or whatever I don't have to worry about it getting hot

RC Racer
    cool i wanna see some vids of this thing on 8s

RC Enthusiast
    That thing is looking awesome! Can't wait to see more.

RC Racer
    It's not that I'm gonna its just if I am just messin around drifting or whatever I don't have to worry about it getting hot
    Swapping pinion gears on site is easier than dealing with water pumps, radiators, tanks ECT. It takes 1 minuet to swap gears simple as that....... besides with all the blow overs you see all over youtube don't you think water in lipo powered car is a bad idea?!!? if your hose's ever come loose, your pump cracks, or your reserve tank cracks.............things won't be pretty.

You wanna go fast use the 34T, u feel like drifting drop in 15T or what ever. The car will stay cool, your asking for trouble with this set up.

RC Champion
    So were is the vids of these 8s xo-1's everyone supposedly has but yet not one vid anywhere of anyone actually runnin this car on 8s not saying you haven't done it I just want to see it one thread I read a guy says his xo-1 pulls the front wheels on take off I'd like to see that I have a awsome idea for a carbon fiber wheelie bar but it will cost roughly 90 dollars to do it
    I have a XL2 XO-1 but don't have the batteries yet. 6s is insane with the XL2. I can't imagine what its gonna be like on 8s.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Swapping pinion gears on site is easier than dealing with water pumps, radiators, tanks ECT. It takes 1 minuet to swap gears simple as that....... besides with all the blow overs you see all over youtube don't you think water in lipo powered car is a bad idea?!!? if your hose's ever come loose, your pump cracks, or your reserve tank cracks.............things won't be pretty.

You wanna go fast use the 34T, u feel like drifting drop in 15T or what ever. The car will stay cool, your asking for trouble with this set up.
    I disagree. What's the difference in running lets say a slash in the rain it through puddles with a lipo battery. You think the battery is gonna stay dry? Me thinks no. And people do it all the time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Jeremy