Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Competitor
    Is there any way I can pay you to create something like that for me and my summit so I can add rear steering and a winch?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have sent you a PM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Sweeeeeeet man really enjoyed your project. Very nice workman ship

RC Enthusiast
    Could you add a third battery box to the bottom for batteries? Looks awesome though.

Thanks Litfuse!!

Bruner--
    I could add a battery box to the bottom... but I found a battery that will fit in the handle. This is allow the controller to look almost stock... except for all the switches and the extra LED and buttons. The battery is finally in stock overseas, but I have the order through the USA warehouse. Once it is in stock and I have all my parts (more still on back order) I will show the final product... maybe even with some video.

Speaking of which...
    I have a few options with the battery... only charge it up to 6v or use a small UBEC so it only sees 6v.
    If I do not get enough life out of the LiFe battery only charging to 6v, I will use the UBEC.

RC Champion
    Great work Jimmie, I really like how you've stuck to trying to keep it stock! That's what makes it so fun imo =)

You interested in showing me what it looks with the case open? I'm certainly interested in seeing! Hahaha.

I mentioned to you in PM a while ago that I was looking to just unlock further channels from within the remote itself (did it with the 27mhz stocker with my Merv) but after thinking and seeing your dual radio setup, that's much better as you get another 5 channels! $30-40 for a new RX is one thing, but I'm curious how much of the second remote you used inside.

Just the board was used from the second remote... maybe a few of the wires.
    It is possible to use the trim and multi-knob as well, but you would have to sacrifice the LCD display for voltage.
    You really don't need the features that those knobs provide anyway. Not with the Summit anyway.

I am still waiting for those parts... as well as the battery.

RC Champion
    I've just ripped open my TQi (what a pain, it's 4 pieces!) and I've figured how to lock and unlock the front or rear diffs, so I'll make two switches one for front and one for rear lock, that way I can have.... more control haha.

It is a different board from the TQ's it's two boards in one soldered awkwardly so I'm thinking I might look around at other remotes to see what's inside of them for making a dual radio, radio.

I would like to use the throttle and steering from another system to make a camera rig, I figured two servos would work.. throttle channel makes one servo pitch up and down, then steering makes makes a servo connected to the first one pan left and right! I have two water proof 2080's from the Merv that I think would be up to the task. I could get a joystick switch to control them both, that'd be pretty sold - I have one from one of those cheap helicopter controllers - it would be pan AND tilt in one control, that'd be pretty slick.

I think if you split it into two switches you still can only have one activated at a time.
    (channels 4 & 5)
    Unless they have changed from LINK to TQi...

How the LINK works:
    When the switch is all the way up...
    the lockers are off/off (front/rear) and the servos are activated/unactivated
    When the switch is in the middle...
    the lockers are on/off (front/rear) and both servos are unactivated
    When the switch is in the lower position...
    the lockers are on/on (front/rear) and the servos are unactivated/activated
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 04-08-2012 at 01:47 PM.

RC Champion
    Right I have TQi so it looks like this:

Pos 1: 0 1
    Pos 2: 0 0
    Pos 3: 1 0

I can make a switch for 0 0 and 0 1
    I can make a switch for 1 0 and 1 1

There are two inputs to the microchip, they are controlled by low high, low low, high low.

I've already done it by shorting them with my pliars haha, but I can certainly activate the front OR the rear, individually. My only explanation as to why they did it this way was because it was cheaper to use only ONE switch (3-way) and drill only one hole, and one set of wires etc.. to keep the cost down.

So a switch that controls the front, or the rear, is 100% possible .. I just need to find the right hardware for it - why do these things always happen on a SUNDAY! Hahah

I'm curious about your rocker switches, those guys are usually pretty deep, did you order shallow specific, or was the depth not an issue?

RC Champion
    I just re-read all of this thread again, so awesome until I read my posts! Who is this idiot? Oh that's me... hahahaha

ANYWAY after tackling a similar TWO remotes in one project, I have much more respect for this! It's truly great, I'm very impressed with what you've done! Those switches are so gorgeous too.. man I was at a shop (Sayal) to find some switches and they had allllllllllllllll kinds probably 150 but NONE were rockers that would fit other than the mini's I posted pics of recently.

I'm writing again not only to say, "wow I really love your project more now than ever" but also to say that my 0 1, 0 0 , 1 0... idea is correct up until I try to do 1 1.

The software won't accept it, so it defaults back to 0 0, which is "front locked, rear unlocked" and there's just nothing to be done without getting in to the software, and I'm pretty sure they'd have it locked as well. SO incase anyone reads this, it is certainly NOT possible to get channels 4 and 5 to work independently of each other, at least as far as I could figure.

*cheers!

Thanks for the support, Krall... it is appreciated!

I have finally found the end of my patience in waiting for this battery to complete this project... ordered one from a gouger on eBay... it totally sucked paying $10 for a battery I can get for $3.

RC Champion
    Hahah patience is killer! You've ended up paying almost 250% more than you needed to! .... but still only paid $10 hahah

I'm waiting on a reply from this place in China for my voltmeter shipping cost, been two days already and it's not even been ordered, uh yi yi.

It came in!
    Holy moley this thing is small!!

Still, it barely fits in the handle.... I will start installing it tomorrow.

RC Champion
    ...... And!?

What?? Don't like suspense??

The wee little battery

Carved out a spot

Fits in there pretty snug

Here she is... being fed 6.8v right now

I have not tested beyond power up yet. Hopefully tomorrow... schedule permitting.
    I did get a chance to fix the antenna my daughter snapped off. It is no longer flexible... I have enlarged the hole for a small piece of copper tubing to fit into it. Nothing is glued, just a friction fit.

RC Champion
    I just saw this! Awesome, it's probably lighter now than it was with the 4aa's even though you have two boards in there!

I think my next trip to Harbor Freight is going to include some scales so...
    1) I can even out the weight on each tire of an RC to even out the weight distribution
    2) I can weigh stuff like this and get a accurate reading over "feel"

But I do think it is a wee bit heavier... but not by much.
    That LiFe battery is very light.

So far, I have gotten about 3-4 hours of use out of it....
    and it reads 6.41v; so it has dropped about .1v per hour.

Selling the project!!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=221067660740

Just moving on to another radio project...
    Need the money to fund my addiction! lol

RC Champion
    That's a totally awesome price! For the amount of ingenuity and time involved in this, that should ship fast! This will allow people who don't know anything about electronics or have the guts to mess with it, to do so much more with their cars!! Good luck with the sale!

Thanks Krall!

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    I think you could've saved some fabrication time by going this route (replace Call of Duty guns with remotes)

LOL
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

The fab work is half the fun!

RC Champion
    *most... of the fun!

C'mon Krall... let's be honest.... it is all the fun.
    I bought the Summit to mod it... to tinker with it. I have spent way more time doing that than running it.... and while I run it all I think about is tinkering with it.

How long as your Summit been under the wrench?? lol

RC Champion
    ...... shush!

But to be honest, I have no more than 4 hours driving time with it, since I bought it in April. BUT that's about 60+ tests throughout haha.

RC Racer
    hey Jimmie,

I have found an easier way to 8 channel, take a look on example 4wheel crab and No crab, shift, diff front, diff rear :

It is a GT3/C 3-channel with Hack and special firmware to 8 channel with very many functions, also channel mix!!

another advantage, weight is only 330g including Lipo Accu!! Is perfect for Summit...

Last edited by Offroad Hawk; 02-16-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Summit & E-Maxx

Who hacked it?

The 2238 project was more about "can I?" than anything else. lol

RC Racer
    Summit & E-Maxx

The firmware for the GT3B works on the GT3C?