RC Qualifier

Tekin RX8 w/Airtronics MT-4 vs Stock XO-1 ESC and Radio

Completely new to this RC stuff so take it easy on me. I have a brand new Tekin RX8 and I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of replacing my stock ESC and also using an Airtronics MT-4 instead of the stock radio. I haven't used any of the stuff that came with my car so I figure I can sell it right now if these two replacements are going to make a significant difference now and later down the road.

cool2win
    I haven't ran my XO-1 yet due to snow. As soon as I can I will run it. I just ordered a new motor and esc. I want to try the new motor and esc. If its not faster I will just put the original motor and esc back in the XO-1. I just hope the new motor and esc works better. I paid $530 for the motor and $700 for the esc.

RC Champion
    Well I doubt the RX8 can handle the same amount of power as the new Castle. (Gut feeling)

RX8 is sensored and smoother because of it. Now try and find a four pole sensored motor big enough to replace the BIG BLOCK(1717).

RC Qualifier
    For the most part I would think it would be preference however be a little careful with temps on the RX8 motor depending on how you run...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Its pretty well accepted that the stock XO-1 system is capable of running full packs on 6S with no heat issues. Most feel the smaller 1/8 systems like the MMM and RX8 systems with their smaller motors will likely be capable of running full packs at 4S with no heat issues but will likely need cool down periods on 6S as the XO-1 is a large car. Of course, you could certainly gear it down and run 6S with no heat issues... but you won't be running 100mph with the smaller 1/8 systems without heat issues.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Well I sold the RX8 awhile ago, but I ordered my Airtronics MT-4 today. Is anyone else using one with their XO-1? If so, any advice for the setup?
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Half of my parts finally arrived:

XO-1 #4...

You will need to use Castle Link and turn off the "Castle Link Live" setting to make the radio work with the stock power system.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info, but I won't be using the stock system anymore.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    This is a few miles away from my house! Thought you'd get a kick out of it.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Qualifier
    That is awesome! Now I just need to photoshop my car into the picture.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Any recommendations for mounting a receiver in the XO-1 and keeping the dust and dirt out of it? Has anyone made any custom receiver housings or covers?
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    You will need to use Castle Link and turn off the "Castle Link Live" setting to make the radio work with the stock power system.
    You make an interesting point now that I think of it. How do I unlock the stock XO-1 ESC without the stock radio? I must have missed that post somewhere.

Nevermind, there is no way to get around it. Will have to use my stock radio.
    Last edited by bringit; 04-27-2012 at 02:42 AM.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Racer
    Originally Posted by Dadx2mj

Quote Originally Posted by bringit View Post
    You make an interesting point now that I think of it. How do I unlock the stock XO-1 ESC without the stock radio? I must have missed that post somewhere.

Nevermind, there is no way to get around it. Will have to use my stock radio.

reread it for a 3RD time

USE your castle link to hook up to the ESC and DISABLE the Castle Link Live option so you can use the Airtronics radio