RC Champion

MMM firmware throttle bug from 2010-11

Just figured I'de ask before I take the time to update to the latest MMM firmware.

I got bit by the helicopter bug this time last year and haven't really pulled out my erbe at all untill these last few weeks. Anyway, I remember that with the latest firmware that castle had out around this time last year there was a throttle issue that basically made the truck jerk to a start when you give it some throttle. Has that problem gone away? Does the latest firmware have any known bugs??
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    i had a similar issue, at about 50% throttle the truck would come to a stop, any movement of the trottle either way and the truck would take off, i broke 3 drivshafts because of it. i ended up switching my radio out with another one i had and it was fine. i told traxxas about it and sent it in to them and they gave me a brand new radio/reciver kit. i did not have any other traxxas radios to test it with to determine if the issue was in the reciver or transmitter, my guess was it was in the transmitter.
    REVO 3.3, shumacher fusion .21,TC4, ERBE

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by raqumup View Post
    i had a similar issue, at about 50% throttle the truck would come to a stop, any movement of the trottle either way and the truck would take off, i broke 3 drivshafts because of it. i ended up switching my radio out with another one i had and it was fine. i told traxxas about it and sent it in to them and they gave me a brand new radio/reciver kit. i did not have any other traxxas radios to test it with to determine if the issue was in the reciver or transmitter, my guess was it was in the transmitter.
    Yeah, the mmm throttle bug made it where you couldn't take off smoothly, you would give it a little throttle and it would jerk forward at about 5 mph and then work normally after that untill you let off the throttle completely again.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    since no one else is saying anything I'm guessing it's no longer a issue?
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Well i cant say for sure since i run a v5 esc, but the latest firmware has been solid for me. Im on 4s geared 45mph with no jumping or pulsing anywhere besides when crawling.

RC Qualifier
    i think i might have an older erbe and it seems to take off alright, but i think its been plugged into a castle programmer. i bought it used and there was a 2" extension plugged into the esc on its way to the RX with an exposed connection, my assumption would have been to plug it in to a programmer since there was more than enough wire to make it.

i can reverse and accelerate at very MINIMAL rates, like so it doesnt even have enough power to push 4 big joes, to full throttle at a full percentage range. and same with reverse.

maybe the older escs just need a programming? my truck came with a grey 2.4ghz with a green and red light. ive never seen one before this truck :P

omg the braking sound makes me excited. anyone else?? oh maybe a whole nother thread for braking... maybe one day

RC Champion
    cool, Thanks for the replies....I guess I'll flash the latest firmware and try out some of the new features
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Im not sure about anything ive said. all i know is i bought a used revo with an older controller, that IS 2.4GhZ, but grey and weird looking. the truck MAY have been a non brushed model that got upgraded along the lines. and my throttle and reverse/braking is perfect.

i am also only running NiMh batteries :P so far.

omg the braking sound makes me excited. anyone else?? oh maybe a whole nother thread for braking... maybe one day

There are threads on breaking & ripple current & how hard it is on the ESC.
    Easy on the breaking, especialy with poor Quality batteries.

If you haven't you really need to get it hooked up to Castle Link & see what the other owner has going on....for set up.
    Specialy the LVC (3.4) per cell....

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...stleLink-Guide
    Last edited by 87 GN; 02-11-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post

There are threads on breaking & ripple current & how hard it is on the ESC.
    Easy on the breaking, especialy with poor Quality batteries.

If you haven't you really need to get it hooked up to Castle Link & see what the other owner has going on....for set up.
    Specialy the LVC (3.4) per cell....

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...stleLink-Guide
    Oh i need no guide. im very familiar with ESC programmers. i think im just gonna get the field link,again, and go from there.

good call on plugging it in to see tho, i gave my programmer away tho... lol another trip to the lhs i guess

RC Qualifier
    i can't imagine giving that away, maby selling it, but not for free. oh well i guess

RC Qualifier
    the programmer?

look at it this way, i had an HPI Savage XS *1/16 scale truck with a 1/10scale motor.

i had an offer to trade for a highly modded ERBE... with a toolbox full of extra parts.

the programmer was thrown in the deal, with $200, NO QUESTIONS ASKED and i still feel like i got the better end of the deal.

RC Qualifier
    oh ok, i thought you just gave it to someone who asked for it.

RC Champion
    oh well, no luck...the latest beta firmware still causes my trucks to have a little burst of throttle when I start moving from a stand still, same thing it was doing last year. All the beta firmwares do it but not the non beta firmware of which the latest one is 1.21.

I don't understand why I'm having this problem and no one else seems to? This is with two different MMM's running a 2200 in my revo and the other runs a 2650 in my slash 4x4...One is a V3 and the other is a V5. Before I got the 2650 for my slash I was using the MMM in it running the stock 3800kv slash 4x4 motor and with that motor the throttle bug was not there with the beta firmware. I don't have any weird setup on my trucks and I haven't been able to find a setting change that affects it.

back to 1.21 I guess
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    did you try another radio/reciver??? i see you have more than one car. if your other cars don't do it, just try to swap them and at least eliminate it being a transmitter/reciver. just an idea, you might be supprised

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by raqumup View Post
    did you try another radio/reciver??? i see you have more than one car. if your other cars don't do it, just try to swap them and at least eliminate it being a transmitter/reciver. just an idea, you might be supprised
    I use a futuba T3PM in my revo and a traxxasTQ in my slash and they both have the same issue, and like I said, the slash didn't have this problem with a traxxas motor in it so that leads me to believe it's something to do with the cc motors...but again, no one else seems to have the same problem so I'm at a loss.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    If you use the castle link to hook it up to the computer it has a setting for start up power, the default setting is "low" and it warns you that if you change it you will need good quality batteries. I'm not sure if this is the problem you are referring to but mine does take off slow and then it seems to kick in after it has begun rolling, not sure if this is something the esc does so it doesn't draw too much power form the batteries on start up or what. Let me know if you change the setting and what it does for you, I wouldn't try changing it if you are running the stock nimh batts though.

RC Qualifier
    loosen up the slipper clutch. hahaha jk.

maybe punch control?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintOnNitro View Post
    loosen up the slipper clutch. hahaha jk.

maybe punch control?
    It does it no matter where punch control is set. I sent a email to cc about the problem, looking forward to hearing what they say.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Oh OK, it was just a thought. at least you know its not the radio, or maby you knew that already. Hope Castle has a solution for you. sorry i was no help

V1.24 is the latest f/w version that I have found does not have the surging throttle issue. MMPro does it. MMM does it. SW SV2 & SCT do it. The only difference is that I have not seen a fix for the SW since their f/w does not date back so far. And the SW does it with the Traxxas Velineon 380 motor. I do not believe it is a motor issue, but an ESC issue.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    V1.24 is the latest f/w version that I have found does not have the surging throttle issue. MMPro does it. MMM does it. SW SV2 & SCT do it. The only difference is that I have not seen a fix for the SW since their f/w does not date back so far. And the SW does it with the Traxxas Velineon 380 motor. I do not believe it is a motor issue, but an ESC issue.
    Ok, glad it's not just all in my head at least. but why do so few people seem to notice it? I see people posting (here and other sites) all the time that are using the latest beta firmware on their revo and don't seem to have the throttle surge?

I was able to run my slash4x4 with the MMM on 1.30 beta firmware (last year) with the stock velineon motor with no problem, then put the 2650 cc motor in and it surged with no other changes to the esc or truck.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

Well, not ALL in your head.
    I don't know but I have seen it suggested that it is either ESC- or ESC & motor combo- specific. All I know is that I have programmed eight different Castle ESC's (4x MMM, 1x MMP, 2x SW SV2/SCT and one MM) with a few different models and brands of radio systems and batteries, with and without external BEC and they all do it. I have two more MM I can try, but I fail to see the point of more experimentation.

Edit: As stated earlier, f/w v1.24 fixed all the problems save for the Sidewinders. A fix for those would be nice. I tried v1.30 also. No dice.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-13-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =