Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: Dewalt upgrade.

  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    34

    Dewalt upgrade.

    I thinking about upgrade my titan 775 to dewalt 14.4v.
    I have the old 27mhz radio, it can run good with it? or should I buy 2.4ghz?
    What else do I need to buy for this upgrade?

    Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    840
    Just make sure that you use capacitors on the motor and you should be fine.

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    142
    With all due respect, UrielZ, there are about 20 threads about the DeWalt. All questions have been answered a hundred times on the DeWalt. Why don't you look around a bit in the forum? Thats why we answer questions, for others to benefit.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-13-2012 at 07:43 PM.

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    34
    MJP, I've been searching about my questions and I didn't find a final answer...

    Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

  5. #5

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,145
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread....-LOTS-OF-PICS

    Heres mine... good info here too.

    If your using the AM radio the caps are a MUST have. If your using a 2.4 you don't HAVE to use caps. I don't and have no issues. The only other things you NEED are soldering supplies, a drill and a dremel... all is explained in the above posts and mine.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    310
    This probably should have been the first response to the OP's question.

    +1 Jimmie Neutron!!!
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,145
    Quote Originally Posted by MJP View Post
    With all due respect, UrielZ, there are about 20 threads about the DeWalt. All questions have been answered a hundred times on the DeWalt. Why don't you look around a bit in the forum? Thats why we answer questions, for others to benefit.
    I don't think this was really necessary... he's only got a few posts and is clearly very new here. There are nicer ways to suggest a person search around a bit than this. Not to mention, he is asking a question (the caps) that isnt very clearly answered in most dewalt install threads. Many show you HOW to do it... but not let you know if its NECESSARY.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria B.C Canada
    Posts
    5,061
    Good work Jimmie....now if he had said "I'm too lazy to search" then jump on him otherwise ,that what these forums are for....right


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    142
    I apologize, I just had the impression that we go into the 120th thread on DeWalt here and when I did my DeWalt conversion I was so confused by these many threads that I wish that we close 110 of them and keep those 10 threads that contain all knowledge about the DeWalt.

    Google Search for "dewalt traxxas caps" will bring this up:
    "At 2.4GHz the interference created by the motor is far less than at 27MHz or 75MHz, but not knowing exactly how much interference is generated at 2.4GHz (no experience with a cap-less brushed motor & 2.4), there could possibly still be a small reduction in range if you run it without the caps."

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    56
    I wish somebody would just sell the motors ready to bolt up! I can't solder for crap nor do I have the tools.

  12. #12
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo1988 View Post
    I wish somebody would just sell the motors ready to bolt up! I can't solder for crap nor do I have the tools.
    Kershaw Designs offers this service (for a fee) on many of the brushed motors they sell, including the Dewalts.
    It would be better to learn how to solder, but to each his own.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    899
    Dan from kershaw designs does. I bet he makes quite the profit too

  14. #14
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,381
    Quote Originally Posted by MJP View Post
    I apologize, I just had the impression that we go into the 120th thread on DeWalt here and when I did my DeWalt conversion I was so confused by these many threads that I wish that we close 110 of them and keep those 10 threads that contain all knowledge about the DeWalt.

    Google Search for "dewalt traxxas caps" will bring this up:
    "At 2.4GHz the interference created by the motor is far less than at 27MHz or 75MHz, but not knowing exactly how much interference is generated at 2.4GHz (no experience with a cap-less brushed motor & 2.4), there could possibly still be a small reduction in range if you run it without the caps."
    Much better than the "Do a search" post above. Bravo.

    @ varunaX: Beat ya!
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria B.C Canada
    Posts
    5,061
    I ran am for a while when a cap breaks I knew right away.glitchy glicherson. 2.4 no issues


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    34
    Thank you all for your help!
    I think I'll go with the kershaw option....
    What pinion/spur should I need for a 30mph top speed and cool motor?

    Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    I could never find a happy median for my gearing. my motor ALWAYS ran hot. I had tried everything from a 11 to 14. BTW i was running RC4WD mudslingers with every other lug cut. I recently put in a rx8 with a 1700kv truggy motor and LOVE it.
    Rob

  18. #18
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    34
    in the kershaw designs site i can choose different pinion: 17,19,21,25.
    which pinion should i choose if i'll buy the Integy Heat Sink Fan with the motor?

  19. #19
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    u.k.
    Posts
    1,770
    depends where you drive,
    muddy off road go lower, 100% of time
    Mostly off road but some on road go bit higher, 60%off road/40% on road
    On road with some dry off road go higher,60% on road/40% off road
    On road go higher.100% on road
    if your stuck go with a middle of the range size change some spurs as they are cheaper.
    there is no right size or wrong size, check the temps of the motor and change accordingly.
    It's trial and error, as i would imagine people try to run on the same sort of terrain most of the time.
    i try to stick to wet grass sometimes muddy might be in different places but thats what i look for, but mines in a maxx,
    Last edited by trax de max; 02-14-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,145
    If you want 30mph you may be better off with the dewalt motor. The Kershaw 700HO motor (which is what I assume your thinking of) isnt alot different than the titan 775... id start with stock gearing and keep an eye on temps. But your not going to get 30mph without heat issues unless you go dewalt or brushless.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  21. #21
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    If you want 30mph you may be better off with the dewalt motor. The Kershaw 700HO motor (which is what I assume your thinking of) isnt alot different than the titan 775... id start with stock gearing and keep an eye on temps. But your not going to get 30mph without heat issues unless you go dewalt or brushless.
    pavmentsurfer, i think you didn't understand me. kershaw design makes moded dewalt for the summit. and that's what i want, not the 700ho. and in their site the dewalt comes with few pinion to choose: 17,19,21 and 25. therefore i i'm asking what pinion should i go with for more speed & torque as the titan...

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,145
    Ahhh, so you can buy a ready to instal dewalt motor. That's cool. What do they sell it for?
    I would think since stock is 14/68 you could get away with a 16/62 combo. I know you can do 16/68 all day with. I he's issues, and I think I've heard a few people even running 18/68.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  23. #23
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    34
    alright, so now the decision is between the 17t to the 19t- they don't offering 18t.
    BTW sorry for bothering, i'm new to the summit and haven't touched the hole gearing thing yet...

  24. #24
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    107
    Kershaws dewalt is about $35 + $8 to prep for am/fm and $4 to prep for 2.5 ghz A pretty sweet deal if you hate soldering the wires and caps on.

  25. #25
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    Not only that but the dewalts are difficult to solder to cause of the limited space.
    If i were to do it again i would pay him in a heart beat to solder it up all good.
    Rob

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    899
    Why is the summit so mmuch different than the erevo? He offers a 31t pinion for the erevo!

    I thought the chassis and parts are all identical , other than the locking diff

  27. #27
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,381
    Got no business running a 31T pinion in a Summit.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  28. #28
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. 87 GN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by UrielZ View Post
    alright, so now the decision is between the 17t to the 19t- they don't offering 18t.
    BTW sorry for bothering, i'm new to the summit and haven't touched the hole gearing thing yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by magnashopper View Post
    Kershaws dewalt is about $35 + $8 to prep for am/fm and $4 to prep for 2.5 ghz A pretty sweet deal if you hate soldering the wires and caps on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rxracer View Post
    Not only that but the dewalts are difficult to solder to cause of the limited space.
    If i were to do it again i would pay him in a heart beat to solder it up all good.
    Rob
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...635-Sum-Summit
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

  29. #29
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    I donno why u quoted me in it. i have already done a dewalt and even kept the dual leads to it. i was just saying i wouldnt really want to do it again.
    i have moved on to brushless anyways.
    if you want pics of the dual wires soldered i can provide pics.
    Rob

  30. #30
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. 87 GN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    7,811
    Why do you say there is limited space??
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

  31. #31
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Why do you say there is limited space??
    If you do the dual wires on the brush area your limited on how high it can go to fit under when you shove the brush into the can. i did dual wires like the stock motor and it was more difficult than doing it with one wire. as i said if u need pics i can supply them.

  32. #32
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by magnashopper View Post
    Kershaws dewalt is about $35 + $8 to prep for am/fm and $4 to prep for 2.5 ghz A pretty sweet deal if you hate soldering the wires and caps on.
    In their site i see the motor price is $70, it's because the shiping (i live in israel)?

    so what pinion should i get? consider i'll take the heat sink fan they offer with it

  33. #33
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Rxracer View Post
    I donno why u quoted me in it. i have already done a dewalt and even kept the dual leads to it. i was just saying i wouldnt really want to do it again.
    i have moved on to brushless anyways.
    if you want pics of the dual wires soldered i can provide pics.
    Rob
    Pics are almost never a bad thing. If you have them on a host, put them in a post.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  34. #34
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,145
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Pics are almost never a bad thing. If you have them on a host, put them in a post.
    Your a poet... and you don't know-it!

    I would suggest order BOTH the 17 AND 19t pinions. We can't say exactly what will work. If you can ONLY pick one I would default to the smaller one to be safe. But for the extra few $$'s get them both so you have options. Options are always good.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  35. #35
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. 87 GN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Rxracer View Post
    as i said if u need pics i can supply them.
    all good... if you can post pic I would like to see, how you did the two wires. Might see something new... I am sure it was hard doing two wires, that is why I did one 10 ga wire...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

  36. #36
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    u.k.
    Posts
    1,770
    i done the two wires, it is tight and doesn't look good.Used the connector that was on the motor,( I took my motor straight from a drill. The wire that is used is surprisingly small diameter), crimped and soldered. Then spliced off from that near the connector for the other wire and heat shrink around as it's could easily hit the can when moving about.
    I will be changing to a single wire once i get replacement connectors for where the stock traxxas ones are.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

  37. #37
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    56
    If you just have to wires instead of 4 on the motor what do ya do with the other 2 from the esc?

  38. #38
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,381
    Combine them in a 5.5, 6.0, or 6.5mm female bullet connector? Use one heavy gauge wire and the male bullet for the motor.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  39. #39
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    u.k.
    Posts
    1,770
    still use the 4 just there joined together, one on the connector and one a little way up the wire, heatshrinked incase it touches the motor casing. Thanks ksb i wasn't sure if i needed 8mm or 6mm.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •