RC poster

New to the traxxas summit ( just bought today ) have a question

Just bought a new traxxas summit this morning. Took it out of the box and set it on the floor, the drivetrain seems to have a lot of play in it. If i put it on the floor and pull it backwards until it starts turning the motor, mark that spot. Then from that spot push it forward, until it starts turning the motor in the other direction. The distance between the two points is a good 3-4 inches of rolling free play. I'm just wondering if that is normal for these trucks. It just seems a little too much free play, but maybe thats the way they are built. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Both of mine are the same way.
    Bash OR crawl? No, the Summit does it all!

Agreed. There is a decent amount of free play. It is normal for this model.

Welcome to the Summit.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I think its simply due to the large number of large gears laying between the motor and the wheels. Each set must have a small amount of play so they can mesh freely... add all that up and your left with exactly what your experiencing. Once you start driving its only a very very minor annoyance at worst and not even noticeable at best. Normal non the less.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Thanks a lot for the info guys. Well, i hope im gonna like this truck. I also bought an e-revo vxl, well ordered it anyway ( they didnt have the color i wanted ). I'm going to pick it hopefully by thursday. Trying to get back into the r/c world. I was in it about 5-6 years ago, but I had the nitro versions. Decided to go with electric this go round. Nitro was always a pain. Thanks again for the info.

RC Competitor
    They have that much play in the gears so that switching from high to low (and vice versa) and locking the diffs goes smoothly.
    You can drive my car, but there's a $500 deposit.

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the summit, Great truck

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kaw_kx500 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info guys. Well, i hope im gonna like this truck. I also bought an e-revo vxl, well ordered it anyway ( they didnt have the color i wanted ). I'm going to pick it hopefully by thursday. Trying to get back into the r/c world. I was in it about 5-6 years ago, but I had the nitro versions. Decided to go with electric this go round. Nitro was always a pain. Thanks again for the info.
    Welcome to the Summit world!
    Trust me, you will love the transition from nitro. I switched 2 years ago and dont miss it at all. That insane raw power isnt there anymore but you can still get pretty cazy with this beast. The E Revo should fill your speed needs out quite nicely!

RC Qualifier
    FYI: that play is caused from the different ratio gears (for high and low gear) in the tranny. If you take your tranny apart, you will notice that those gears only have two locking points for the shifting mechanism (180 degrees apart). Thus, when rotating the tranny output shaft back and forth, you will notice a bit of zero resistance until the the tranny gears rotate around and engage the shifting mechanism the other way. The rest of the drivetrain is actually pretty tight.
    Why can't other people share my opinions?