Thread: boiling parts

Hybrid View

RC poster

boiling parts

will boiling your rustler parts make them stronger???? plz help

Boiling parts is said to make them more flexible so less likely to snap. I have only done this with the wing on my mini Revo and it definitely helped.

RPM suggest boiling parts that become deformed or miss shaped, they claim the boiling will return their parts to the original shape.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    thank you

RC Competitor
    How long would I boil them for .. also can u boil a transit case for rustler.

RC Competitor
    Transmission*

RC Competitor
    I'm thinking about doing that, too. For a while I was interested in an Ofna CRT.5 which are known to have weak pillow ball knuckles. Those guys seemed to have boiling down to a science. In one thread, a poster had contacted a plastics engineer who supposedly endorsed the practice and recommended 40 minutes of boiling (!).

I'll be getting a new gearbox housing in the mail tomorrow. To boil..... or not to boil?

I cant think of an advantage to boiling the tranny case. I think you want that stiff as possible to ensure proper gear alignment. I can see the advantage to boiling something like a suspension arm but not so sure I would boil a tranny case.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

maybe because of the cold weather at your locations these parts becomes shrink due to daily exposed to cold air and some cases snow. if i were you guys i would always keep it very warm place after playing with.
    my guess that the reason my rustler is holding it's stock parts after all these years is that it's very hot here for about 6-7 monthes and i'm keeping it in a warm place always.
    Just my thoughts.

RC Competitor
    The advantage to boiling is that nylon parts which have absorbed as much moisture as possible are more flexible than their as-molded counterparts. More flex means more toughness/better impact resistance, but less precision (as pointed out). The transmission case design makes it so that the rear arm mounting take it pretty hard in a crash...

RC Competitor
    the reason why i asked is because i broke my tranz case 3 times in the last week

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spewya View Post
    the reason why i asked is because i broke my tranz case 3 times in the last week
    Sounds like time for aluminum.
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

I ended up dyeing a bunch of parts at a time. Ended up havn a dye party. During so, I also boild (in the dye) all the parts that were kinda worn out, and had that plastic faded look. I cant tell if any of them were stronger, but I can say I have not broken any of them so far.

I can tell you I have dyed something like 7 different trannys, and all of them worked out real well. So I know that it wont mess it up for you in regards to fitment.

If you dye ur parts. Throw some black rit dye in there, and get everything black while ur at it!!

RC Competitor
    ya .. lol what is the cheapest but decent brand of aluminum tranz case i can buy

RC Champion
    Integy $35ish but can't hook up Stock wheelie bar but there are options like T-bone Racing. .

Or

Golden Horizons $35ish looks just like stock and allows all stock hook up.

REM/FLM are great brands but run $60+

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Racer X View Post
    Integy $35ish but can't hook up Stock wheelie bar but there are options like T-bone Racing. .

Or

Golden Horizons $35ish looks just like stock and allows all stock hook up.

REM/FLM are great brands but run $60+
    U can get an Integy that hooks up stock wheelie bar. They sell them in both open, and closed (stock) motor case.

But GH is def a better recommendation.

RC Champion
    That is true I just could never find one in stock nor could my LHS order one. Besides I like the t bone rear bumpers

RC Qualifier
    if you boil them they kinda bcome stronger. I suggest u die as well

RC Champion
    Well gosh suggesting someone to DIE that's not very nice

lol

Dye

RC Qualifier
    Would dying a set of wheels with foam tyres attached do any damage to the foam? Also do you need to clean excess grease from the inside of the trans case?
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3