RC Champion

Question how do the 1/16 summits do for durability?

i have a mustang vxl since september and not feeling the love eny more so im thinking about doing a summit cunversion. but what i need to know is how durabul are thiese trucks ? i plan to bashing with it(jumps,rough dirt)

whats your opinion on the 3.2 rate (pruple) springs for jumping

is it recomended that i get the rear e revo a arms instead of the extended summit arms?

and whats the better drive shaft? i know when the stock shafts came out they wornt perfect lol

eny thing elss would be appreciated

thank you

RC Qualifier
    Pretty well, there cool little trucks, you would need push rods for the Summit/E-Revo as well, maybe some RPM bearing carriers. Wheels and tires, pro line makes some nice bead locks, and I like the stock Traxxas tires. Lights are a plus.
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Champion
    ya i have the two rpm carrier but other than that i plan to make it a no slop truck

so gtr shocks
    aluminum tie and push rods
    steel holow balls

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If you are going to bash.... this is what I have... keep in mind I very rarely walk away broke.

Steel hollow balls to reduce slop
    Aluminum knuckles to reduce slop and add strength (I have HR but recommend GPM)
    ******* 390 servo because the stock is known to fry/strip itself
    RPM a arms at all four corners because RPM arms hardly ever break
    Center differential upgrade to help handle the power of
    2200mah 2S 20C ***** LiPo's ran in parallel for ~1 hour run times
    23/50 gearing gets me to ~30mph yet keeps temps in check
    (You may need to gear a little lower due to the larger tires)
    Shimmed front and rear bulkheads... *LINK*

Especially do that last part... extremely cheap preventative procedure.

RPM carriers/knuckles are known to fail... it is your choice as to what to get; I am only reporting what others have experienced. I would also stay away from bead lock wheels. They are heavy which will suck the power out of and create heat in your electronics. A good portion of the people that have bead locks have them on a shelf collecting dust. The stock 1/16 Summit tire is not a bad tire... most are very happy with it.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    thank you

ya for the mustang the stock servo went i think the first or seconed week of owner ship

if i decided to go lipo i'd have to change that to spc 2s 2500mah in parellel and a sv2 or somthing

what shims are used?

ya the rpm carriers are good but i do see you point plastic is to soft
    (whats the price on the gpm carreirs?)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The stock ESC is not that bad on 2S... anything more; that is where it starts to get iffy.

The shimming link above has the information you seek as to what shims.

I'm not sure on price of the GPM....
    I bought mine on eBay MONTHS before I had my MERV.
    For $18 shipped.
    All 4.
    (I stole them!!)
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    IMO what you want to build is a MERV and put a summit body and wheels on it. Really, if you want to bash it your going to use MERV parts anyway. The GTR shocks are not a must and if it were me id spend that $50 on the steel MERV driveshafts first. Stock plastic rockers are fine and personally, I prefer the plastic push rods and links as they are a bit flexible. if you upgrade them with steel hollow balls you won't have any problems.

Id use MERV arms (RPM) and aluminum knuckles. I personally wouldn't go with a centre diff in a basher. The truth is, it doesnt help the truck handle more power, its just another set of tiny gears that can fail. It will help with handling on a track, but for a basher the benefits are not really worth while.

An important upgrade no matter what you go with is the Tbone full chassis skid plate. It adds alot of strength to the chassis and protects things very well.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ