RC Qualifier

Soldering Traxxas plugs

Got my LiPos a week ago and hadn't got time 'til today to prepare them for my ERBE.

Bought 3 sets of ******* LiPos...

2 sets of **********s 2S 6000mAh 25C and 1 set of 2S 5000mAh 40C...

The 6000mAh came with small deans plugs on 'em and the 5000mAh came with bullet plugs...
    I decided to solder Traxxas plugs on all of the 6 batteries... but... the 5000mAhs come with huge wires !!!
    8 AWG !!!

Talk about a pain in my bottom trying to fit those jumbo wires into the female Traxxas plugs...

Time consuming and I have to admit I'm starting to loose my mind a bit so I decided to take a little break l
    Last edited by Imprez; 02-10-2012 at 04:52 PM.

RC Competitor
    They can be a pain, for sure.

They'll be AWESOME once you let them rip though!!!

RC Qualifier
    I hope they will cause as of right now they're draining all my energy lolll

RC Qualifier
    I had the same problem took over a inch of wasting the wire b4 I ever got it
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewers74 View Post
    I had the same problem took over a inch of wasting the wire b4 I ever got it
    Dude it's almost funny to have such big wires for such small batteries !!!

10 AWG wire is already a snug fit in the plug the 8 AWG is on the verge of being too big !!!

RC Qualifier
    I know what your saying I had to go up to LHS to have them show me how its done ended up I was using to much solder he only put a small drip on the wire then just placed the wire on the tab and pressed down gently
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Qualifier
    You have to make sure that you stay behind the line on the tab or it won't lock in to the outer plastic tip. Are you using a good high powered station?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.617963,153.042172
    R/C is more than a hobby it's a way of life, please check out my YouTube channel bulldogmatt22 thanks

RC Champion
    These couple of things helped me correct a lot of my issues.

1) Keep a clean tip. Continually wipe it off to rid it of contaminants. (sponge or a wet paper towel)
    2) For each new tip you should wrap it with a good bit of solder wire and then turn it on. Without doing this, the tip will never work as well.

Im sure there are more tips out there but this was were i was making mistakes.

RC Qualifier
    I know I post a lot of videos but Youtube's a great place to find tutorials & how-tos...

I'm doing exactly what this guy's doing.

I have a TK 950 soldering station, I'm good ( better than average Joe ) at soldering since I've worked in electronics repairs when I was younger. Physically, the 8AWG wire fits barely in the female Traxxas plug... without having any solder on it, let alone any connector, it's just that big and that snug of a fit in such a small plug.

It just takes longer to do a good job, in the video I posted above the guy works with 14AWG wire, the 8AWG is almost twince as big just to give you an idea.

RC Qualifier
    ^^I approve!^^ this is the way i find works best as well.

or switch them to blue Heli plugs. :P

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintOnNitro View Post
    switch them to blue Heli plugs. :P

It's 2:34 in the morning and I just finished the 6 LiPo batteries and the 2 chargers' plugs...
    I'll try to put the new LiPos through at least one cycle each this week-end...

Anything I should know about "breaking-in" brand new LiPos ?

RC poster
    I convinced a mate it's a good idea to spend his Sunday morning soldering my new lipo's for me after making **** of a mess on the first one

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowprofile View Post
    I convinced a mate it's a good idea to spend his Sunday morning soldering my new lipo's for me after making **** of a mess on the first one
    Your mate is an awesome guy let me tell you lollll