RC Qualifier

Toro Brushless Combo or MMP combo?

I want too upgrade my electronics. and ive been reading a ton of posts and i was wondering if anybody has ever used a "Toro" Brushless system. item in the link.

http://www.ckhobby.com/shop/?control...egory&path=110

are they any good? Or should i just get a MMP SC Combo?

Im a basher and have a ******* 3s 11.1v 5000mah battery. i like speeds but also tourque. any motor size suggestions??

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    i would go mmp 2400 from what i hear its an awesome system tons of torque. i got mmp 3800 and about to look for the 2400 motor

i cant say anything about the toro cause ive never heard of it, but then again ive only been in the hobby for a year now but you can learn a ton in a year

RC Qualifier
    i have the 2400, it has a great amount of torque and can be geared highly for speed.
    like Koda said, i have never heard it mentioned of on this forum or i havent seen it in general, and i have been in the hobby for 3 years now. so unless someone else more experience says its good, dont get it. it will probably be a little to underpowered for the car also... 3800 or under kv is what you need for the slash
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

RC Qualifier
    Ok so ive seen the MMP in "SCT" short course truck version. what the difference between that and a normal MMP?

RC Competitor
    Green sticker...

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=0.000000,0.000000
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    time for someone who has the 4000kv toro system to reply.. great system if you want to run 2s batteries, i have it in my 4x4 and it kills my friends 2400 on 3s

RC Qualifier
    Never heard of Toro before, but that setup looks pretty sweet

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revobasher85 View Post
    time for someone who has the 4000kv toro system to reply.. great system if you want to run 2s batteries, i have it in my 4x4 and it kills my friends 2400 on 3s
    So Toro is a goo brand? work well? i have 3s batteries so 4000kv or 4650kv would be better? jw wondering. i Love castle creations and have a mamba monster in my e-revo. the only reason im looking into the Toro combo is for the orange anodizing haha. so im torn between either a Toro System or a Castle MMP/2400

RC Qualifier
    Whats the difference between the newer MMP esc with the Molded Castle logo on the fan and the older MMP without it??

RC Champion
    MMP has be redesigned with a different fan setup, internals are the same

Toro motor is a copy of a Tenshock SC401, Toro ESC is a copy of a Hobbywing SC8

If you are only planning to run 2s then the Toro / Tenshock motors are a good option

If you plan to run 3s / 4s then the 2400 is a better option

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by afol2524 View Post
    So Toro is a goo brand? work well? i have 3s batteries so 4000kv or 4650kv would be better? jw wondering. i Love castle creations and have a mamba monster in my e-revo. the only reason im looking into the Toro combo is for the orange anodizing haha. so im torn between either a Toro System or a Castle MMP/2400
    the toro esc is a rebranded hobbywing sc8 man.. a proven esc

4000kv would be better for 3s you would need like a 12t pinion and a 54t spur with that much voltage

RC Racer
    I would look at the MMP with the tacon 2150 motor. It will give you tons of power and it comes in orange anodizing and you are looking at about $170 for both. It would suck on 2s, but on 3,4, and 5s.

The only problem is they are currently out of stock.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by robgdds View Post
    I would look at the MMP with the tacon 2150 motor. It will give you tons of power and it comes in orange anodizing and you are looking at about $170 for both. It would suck on 2s, but on 3,4, and 5s.

The only problem is they are currently out of stock.
    that was a dumb post. how does that help him lol..

http://www.nitrorcx.com/07e-combo-sc-b.html i have this combo i run on 3s in my crt.5 see the esc is exactly like the toro

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    MMP has be redesigned with a different fan setup, internals are the same Cheers
    So why did they Change the Fan setup? what was wrong with the older one? Should i Not get the one without the newer fan setup?
    Last edited by afol2524; 02-10-2012 at 01:10 AM.

RC Champion
    I personally would stay away from anything above 3800kv motor's for the slash 4x4. The 2400 sct combo is one of the best motor esc setup's for the slash 4x4.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Competitor
    I will post up some pics and a review on the Toro 4000kv system, I am exspecting mine in the mail today. This system on 2s is comperable to some systems on 3s. The Toro motor does look like the Tenshock 401, but with a larger bearing on the shaft. My intention is to gear it 14/54 to start out with and monitor temps. The ESC is a copy of the Hobbywing SC8 but with a stronger BEC. I've done my homework on this combo, and my local track will only let us run on 2s, and this combo seems like the best deal for the money if it holds up to it's claims. I have Platinum Slash and find it had to cough out $300+ bucks on a motor for a truck I paid $400 for. Plus I have seen the carnage that Castle motor will do to your drivetrain, I think it is a little on the overkill side, you can't drive these trucks 60-70MPH anyways because they want to launch like the Space Shuttle.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by revobasher85 View Post
    Hobby Partz.com right? I am waiting for them to get more for my 1/18 scale truck

Keep us posted on how that system works for you. I run 60+ mph, without the body on it. I also have a roll bar for protection.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    I am waiting on mine as well. I will do a review once I get it but for the price and from what I have been told and read I can't see why you wouldn't want this combo.
    As far as Carnage a Castle will do........ I think you will find this will do just as well as anything as powerful as it as being hard on parts.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Autophysn View Post
    Hobby Partz.com right? I am waiting for them to get more for my 1/18 scale truck
    Check out http://www.ckhobby.com/shop/ I would think Mike will be able to help you out.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Autophysn View Post
    I got mine from CKhobby, this setup is designed to run well on a 2s setup. The market needs to target this because most tracks will not let you run anything larger in the 1/10th scale class. If it runs like the stock setup on 3s, it is a great deal shipped to my door for under $145.00. I just don't want to end up dumping big money in my hobby truck to be semi competetive, and if it keeps up with the big $$$ setups it is only a plus. Maybe the market needs some quality low buck parts to get it in check.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
    I got mine from CKhobby, this setup is designed to run well on a 2s setup. The market needs to target this because most tracks will not let you run anything larger in the 1/10th scale class. If it runs like the stock setup on 3s, it is a great deal shipped to my door for under $145.00. I just don't want to end up dumping big money in my hobby truck to be semi competetive, and if it keeps up with the big $$$ setups it is only a plus. Maybe the market needs some quality low buck parts to get it in check.
    So on 3s the Toro system is just like the stock VXL?

RC Champion
    Cant imagine you will be able to run 3s with either the 4000 or the 4600

If you want to run 3s grab the Tenshock version that comes in a 3500kv

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Competitor
    So on 3s the Toro system is just like the stock VXL?
    Time will tell, I would think this combo will be like 3s running on 2s, or even a little better.

Crusey... I will see what happens with 3s, but thats not my intentions on what I want to run. It may not even be a feasable concept. I bought the combo to run on 2s because it seemed to be the best combo for the money for the application I needed it for. I have been told that on 2s it is hard to beat.

RC Qualifier
    Cant imagine you will be able to run 3s with either the 4000 or the 4600

If you want to run 3s grab the Tenshock version that comes in a 3500kv

Cheers
    Why wouldnt you be able to run 3s witha 4000kv or 4600kv?

RC Champion
    They will get too hot unless geared conservatively

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    They will get too hot unless geared conservatively

Cheers
    The Esc says its rated from 2s-4s

RC Enthusiast
    does it? who cares what the esc says its the motors kv.. run 3-4s on a 4000kv motor and make sure you get a vid of it smoking thank u

RC Champion

ESC rating has little bearing on what voltage a particular motor can run on

My experience suggests that the only Tenshock / Toro motor that will happily run on 3s is the 3500kv version

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    Where can i buy the MMP SCT 2400kv combo with the newer fan set up (molded logo ontop)? i look on ebay but they all seem like the first model. or does it really matter which one i get?
    Last edited by afol2524; 02-11-2012 at 05:01 PM.

RC Champion
    You will have to contact the sellers and ask them if they are still using older stock

I received the MMP / 3800 combo from Tower last week and it had the newer version

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    OK So the verdict of all these post is that for a basher running 3s 11.1v lipos they should use MMP 2400kv combo?? nothing higher in kv?

RC Enthusiast
    If you are choosing to run 3S primarily then the MMP - 2400 would be a good choice. From what I have read it really comes alive with a 3S.
    As far as Toro - Tenshock on 3S I am not certain.

RC Champion
    The Tenshock SC401 3500kv works well on 3s

I bash with mine at around 50 mph

The higher kv versions or Toros (4000 / 4600) are not suited to 3s, you may get away with them if you are conservatively geared

Cheers
    Last edited by crusey; 02-11-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Slash Platinum

RC Enthusiast
    Ok guys, I have a simple question and would like a simple answer! I am about to upgrade the motor/esc on my Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate. I will keep it geared stock...not a racer...looking for both a "bit, just a bit" more speed and torque...will be using 2S only...would like to avoid heat issues...budget not an issue. Please give your feedback/opinions of my three choices.
    TenshockSC401 4000kv/Hobbywing SC8 120A esc
    Toro SC 4000kv System
    Mamba Max Pro/CC 3800kv

RC Champion
    Tenshock and Toro are identical and should have more whack than the Castle

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Competitor
    You asked for a simple answer, and are concerned about heat, perhaps posting a new topic for specific input on "how hot does it get" from those who have those systems on 2s will give the simplest answer?
    It is hard for me to give a simpler answer for a complicated subject, so I'm leaning toward the best information I've learned the hard-expensive way.

Anyway, I've been on a similar quest after smoking a few components...
    The TenshockSC401 4000kv shows as drawing 155amps
    http://builtrc.com/tenshock_sc401_4000.aspx
    I'd say they ain't lying. I have a couple of Tenshocks that claim 180 & 200amps, and the 180amp unit does get things hot because of high current draw. I have yet to test the 200.

Hobbywing SC8 120A
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-ezrun-sc8.html
    1 Specification
    1.1 Output:
    EZRUN-SC8 ESC: Continuous current 120A, burst current 760A
    The burst current of 760A may be the padding needed to run cool... not sure
    I would be worried about too much current draw on the ESC with that motor. I have started leaning toward investing in "comfort zone" to avoid heat issues. I would lean toward an ESC that can handle the same continuous amps, as your motor's rated amps. Some folks, including me, have started getting ESC's rated for 1/8th scale heavy service, for use on 1/10th scale SC trucks to get low temps by being over-built.

These guys pair similar numbers in this combo,
    Maybe the ESC amps vs. Motor amps in this combo, is more OK than I'm thinking...
    http://www.ckhobby.com/shop/?control...product_id=388

It is hard to find the ESC rated amps for this. (suspicious, I think)
    A buddy of mine has one of these, and I drove it. I didn't like the cogging & lack of smoothness, especially for what he paid for it. I can ask him about how hot the ESC gets if you wish.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...-race-pro.html

Investigate further, just how hot the ESC gets on your considered combo's.
    Ring the phone of some local hobby shop's, and ask what people are having luck with.
    I was surprised to hear of smoke-reports of popular systems that don't seem to make it to forums. It appears that after someone posts about their cool new expensive system, they may not be so quick to post about heat or smoke issues...

After smoking a few "fancy namebrand" ESC's and Motors, I opted to get over-built stuff.
    I got a second mortgage, sold my firstborn (just kidding), and got a Tekin RX8 rated at 210amps
    With ambient temperature of 70deg F, It runs about 115deg F even while pushing a 180amp motor on 3s, the cooling fan barely turns on, even while the battery gets warm 95degF, and the leads and motor get hot.
    I'll be swapping to 2s only soon.
    http://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/RX8Manual.pdf
    It is so sickening that it is so expensive, ~$200, that I can barely recommend it, but I'm hoping to give you reference to check stuff that will run cool as you mentioned your concern for heat.

Research before purchase is golden.
    Another "cool running" reference: I'm amazed at how cool the Castle ESC Motor System that comes in a Traxxas Revo runs while delivering explosive power to a ~10 pound car with huge wheels.

It appears to be like the difference between getting 200+ horsepower from a screaming 4cylinder engine, or a big block V-8.

I hope this helps.
    I was, and am still on a similar quest as you.
    Last edited by KewlToye; 04-01-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    4x4 Ultimate (Slayden Suspension<Big Improvement!)

RC Enthusiast
    MMP. Why? I like my sct 3800 set up, but would like the ability to run more than 2s.
    Otherwise, it is perfect.