RC Racer

Talking Re-Mounting Tires

When I Get my ERBE,I wanna tape and glue the tires back on.Whats the process of getting them off?Just pull them off?Maybe in hot water or somethin?What kind of glue do I use,how long till it cures?How many tape wraps?Will more be better?Explaine please.

RC Champion
    Bro, good luck getting the stock tires apart in one piece, it aint happening, save em and get a set you can tape up, 2 wraps of Gorrilla tape holds up nice, you use ca glue, check out you tube, there are all kinds of how to's to check out so you don't wreck a new set of tires, the glue is very unforgiving and messy, took me a few sets to get it down right and to be clean about it.
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC Champion
    Use the oven method and break tire off the rim. Then once the tire is off soak it in acetone to remove the glue. Do some google searches and you will find all kinds of methods.
    I heat my oven to 350 then turn it off. I then place the tires in for about 5 to 10 mins and then remove them. Just keep a close eye on them. It will make a stink but nothing that will last.

RC Racer
    Man.........I had no idea it would be that hard.I dont know why a company aint come out with some already wrapped and ready.I know their is a demand for it.They know high speds tear 'em up.Maybe they dont do it cause they figure youll mess 'em up and buy more.What they dont realize,when people tear 'em up they may try a dffernt companys product to see if it lasts better.

RC Champion
    WARNING!!!

I tried to soak my Traxxas E-Maxx tires in Acetone and it ruined them. I don't know if the Maxx and Revo stock tires are the same compound but I'm not going to test it out. I did manage to safe 2 tires, I boiled them off the wheel.

RC Champion
    What did the acetone do to them. I was about to do the tires off my emaxx. I have done it with my trenchers with out any problems. I haven't tried traxxas tires yet.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmmm. I got mine off with acetone, but trashed them afterwards, I just kept the rims.

RC Racer
    I wounder if its the amount of time they soak in the acitone?I wanna try and get it right th first time.I may try the boil methed.Id be afrade of melting te rims in oven.Any other methods out their guys?????Id check You-Tube but Id rather hear from yall.

RC Champion
    Check out YouTube there is some good vids on there on how to do it. It may take care of any apprehension you have.
    You can take the wheels in and out of the oven to make sure they aren't getting soft.

hot air gun.... never tried tho..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrocker View Post
    What did the acetone do to them. I was about to do the tires off my emaxx. I have done it with my trenchers with out any problems. I haven't tried traxxas tires yet.
    The compound that the E-Maxx chevron are made of soaked up the acetone like a sponge and made the almost twice the normal size and also made them so soft that the tires ripped in the spots where the glue did not release. The acetone also trashed the foam.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    hot air gun.... never tried tho..
    This is how I do it. Get some gloves on, and put a heat gun onto it. Run it slowly around the rim to gradually heat the tyre up, after a few minutes start gently pulling on the tyre, if it doesn't budge keep heating it. The tyre and rim will end up pretty hot but I haven't damaged any rims yet (or my hands).
    Only down side to this is you might need to get some acetone onto the rims after to clean off any bits of glue - try and pull those bits off the rim and tyre while it's still hot.

RC Racer
    I bet you was upset.Live and learn.Were only human.Ill be glad when I actually recieve my ERBE.I got it $100. cheeper than the lhs.I was suprised that companys do price comparisons.Even the lhs were shocked.

RC Qualifier
    After you get the tires off the rims (using whatever method), just use a dremel with a sanding wheel to get remaining glue off the tires. Works like a charm - and no messing with acetone. For the rims, I use a small wire brush wheel with my dremel to remove any excess glue that I cannot chip off with a razor blade.

RC Qualifier
    I used the oven method and it worked well for me... stank the kitchen up a bit but it ain't that bad.

Pre-heated the oven @ 350*F and put all 4 rims / tires on aluminum foil for a good 12 - 15 minutes while keeping an eye on 'em and checking every couple of minutes to see if the CA glue had soften up enough for me to strip the tires from the rims.

Put a couple of strips of duct-tape on the inside, re-glued 'em on the rims and they work like a charm !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98cbr900 View Post
    I bet you was upset.Live and learn.Were only human.Ill be glad when I actually recieve my ERBE.I got it $100. cheeper than the lhs.I was suprised that companys do price comparisons.Even the lhs were shocked.
    Maybe put that $100 towards some nice wheels and tyres, providing you've already got batts and charger.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

RC Qualifier
    The heat gun methohod does work.......just be mindful that too much heat in one spot can cause the wheel to deform a little. So you may have to re-heat the wheel a bit afterwards to staighten it up.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Racer
    I havnt ggot any batts yet.Im goonna get a set of 2s and 3s and experiment.I gotta get me some good rims and tires and tape them.I dont hink Im gonna try and remove any from the rims.