RC Racer

Thinking of converting to nitro

I recently got a used Revo 3.3 in a trade. I've got it completely torn down, just parts and screws in bags, but before I put it back together I started looking at E-Revo conversions (I'm terrible with nitro). In my experience, conversions have always been expensive or a compromise, but I've heard that converting a Revo is easy and in many cases better than stock.

I don't want to spend more than $100 for this, as the truck runs great as is. My major concerns are cost, reliability, and where to put the batteries. I planned on selling the nitro stuff (engine, servos, tank) to fund the electronics, but I'm still weighing costs of the "extras". There are so many options for this conversion that it's almost overwhelming, but here are the options I'm looking at:

Option 1: ERevo chassis and tranny (I'm leaning to this as there is a spot for batteries)
    Option 2: Emaxx/ERevo tranny on stock chassis (cheapest)
    Option 3: RC Monster motor mount on stock tranny and chassis
    Option 4: Aftermarket all the way! (GMaxx, etc.)

Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i'll pick option 2. this is what i did to my revo 3.3. and if you have the esc/motor, lipo batts etc. already...., option 2 is the cheapest.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Racer
    BTW, this thread says I'm converting to nitro, but obviously I'm converting to electric, lol. Any mods know how to edit that?

I should have also mentioned that I want a setup that would allow twin NiMH 7cell hump packs. I also like Option #2 over using the nitro tranny, as it looks like I could keep the motor/motors located in the center and run twin NiMHs on the side. Plus, I can use hump packs, which wouldn't be an option with the stock Revo chassis.

I saw a pic a while back where someone did a conversion by popping an Emaxx tranny in and dremelled an Emaxx 3906 chassis to make battery holders. This would be a no-brainer if it makes for a reliable build. I have an old Emaxx chassis already, so I guess all I really need is a tranny and a dremel?

nimh 7 cell hump packs dont fit on e-revo chassis, 7 cell flat does. thats what I have 2x 4500 mah 8.4v it lasted me for a good 20-25 mins range. soon i'm getting lipo batts and charger.
    FYI revo 3.3 diff are weak compare to e-revo, e-revo diff has that i beam inbetween the spider gears.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 02-08-2012 at 09:10 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info on the diffs, that was news to me, and good to know. It's also good to know you get that much runtime! What motor setup are you using in your build?

Most of my batteries are 7cell humps or 6cell sticks, and it would be nice to keep using them, as I can't afford a pair of 7cell sticks along with the build costs, much less lipos/charger. My big setback is cash, so here's my plan:

1. Sell Revo 3.3 engine, engine mounts, tranny, throttle/reverse servos, OptiDrive module, and fuel tank
    2. Use the cash to buy and install ESC/motor combo and E-Maxx tranny
    3. Temporarily install custom battery holders made from old 3906 E-Maxx chassis
    4. Have fun with the truck
    5. Buy newer E-Revo chassis when I can FINALLY afford Lipos
    6. Upgrade diffs after I chew them up.

Sound like a good plan??

you can keep your 3.3 tranny just lock the 2nd gear to use the motor for braking. or you can get a y harness and use your original brake as it is, just disable your reverse on ESC. your gonna need to buy a tekno electric conversion for this set-up, it comes with a battery try, batt harness, motor mount. integy make a conversion too but, I dont think there as good as tekno.
    here's what I have,

mamba monster ESC with 2200kv motor