RC Qualifier

brushed to brushless

Hey guys i just bought a stampede xl-5 with the brushed 12t 550 titan motor. What is all needed to change my brushed motor out to a brushless and any recomendations on what to run for a motor would be great. and if i switch to brushless will my 8.4v 3000mah and my 9.6v 4200mah be enough for it?
    Thanks

RC Champion
    I have the velineon brushless system by Traxxas.
    If you buy it new, it comes with everything you need to install it, it's a direct fit you don't need anything else.
    (As far as I know.)
    Those batteries should work good with it, I have the same batteries and they work good with the velineon system.
    Just my 2 cents.

RC Qualifier
    those batteries should be fine, only really to get you started though, i found that my NIMH's were underpowered fro my VXL and didn't have the run time that my LIPO's have.

Unfortunately its not just a case of swapping the motor. The list you should be checking on your car is something like this:
    ESC (brushed ESC's won't run brushless motors0
    motor (obviously :P)
    bearing carriers with bearings (on all 4 corners of the car the axles go through the carriers, I'm not sure about new XL-5's but the old brushed came with smaller bushings, these will tear apart with brushless power so need changing to bearings and bearing carriers as the bearings are bigger than the bushings)
    Metal geared transmission (you can check this by looking in the hole on the bottom of the transmission case (possibly covered with some electrical tape) if you see metal (i believe the new XL-5's have brushless ready transmissions) then all is good, but if you only see plastic then you need to change the gears in there).

I don't think i have missed anything, but others will come and correct me and help out if i did

Welcome to the forums and enjoy the pede!!!

RC Qualifier
    double post - apologies

RC Champion
    Yes I agree with joesstampede..you will need to upgrade your transmission to metal gears if it does not already have them. I've found that even with just the nimh batteries my truck (Rustler) has plenty of power to do wheelies with the velineon system.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    You have a couple of ways to move up to brushless. You can do the power up program through Traxxas and get the VXL3S ESC and 3500kv Velineon 2-pole motor. Or your LHS should be able to do the power up program there also. This stays waterproof.

Other option would be to move up to the castle SV2 3800kv 4-pole motor combo. It's not waterproof. 2s 7.4v max but some have run with a 3s with no issues. Just be sure to keep an eye on your temps. The next upgrade to this is the castle MMP 3800kv combo. This one is 3s 11.1v and up capable. Which is way fast. But with these systems you will have to solder a Traxxas connector to the ESC. They also love Lipo over Nimh as they eat AMPs like they are candy. Also have more tweaking options. The best way to do this would be to add a Field Programming card that doubles as a link. You can do these options strait from your PC or from the field card itself. Highly suggest one of these. Not for the average Joe. LOLOL

Whatever you do especially moving to brushless you will want to change the wheel bushings to bearings. If you have a new XL5 you probably have the brushless ready transmission, which it would state on the outside of the box. Like Joe said you can take the rear skid off, electrical tape, and look under the tranny case to verify.

The last thing that is a major asset to the brushless upgrade is to buy an RPM 2wd Slash or Stampede front bumper. The Traxxas Slash is another good one. Only othe one i'd recommend is a Tbone front bumper. These are all tough upgrades. Mailboxes seem to come out from no where and attack you.

This should be enough to get you an idea and get you moving...
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Ok i will check the trans when i get home from work and see if its metal geared. I was looking at doing just the velineon swap into it. So for sure im looking at getting the motor (duh) and the ESC which i figured as well. But for the bearings in the front and rear should i run the ones that come on the vxl 2wd system if there not already the same???

RC Qualifier
    i just read up on it and the transmission is brushless ready metal gears. also the planetary diff gear is also brushless ready. But i still dont know if the bearings in the front and rear will hold

If you have an XL5 it comes stock with Bushings. You will want to change these to bearings 5x11x4.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    ok got it instead of the oilite bushings the ball bearing for front and rear im also going to do the aluminum axle carriers and caster blocks along with the aluminum turnbuckles. i just put the extra wide rpm bumper on it that should be good for it right?

RC Champion
    The velineon system will be awesome!

I should have mentioned it, but you will want to purchase a 8 total bearings, which is 2 per wheel. And it wouldnt hurt to have some extra for spares. You don't necessarily have to buy those any 5x11x4 will work. I'd recommend rubber shielded as they keep alot of the grime out.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Hold up digger. If Cuba is looking at purchasing the aluminium bearing carriers then they may come with the bearings. The traxxas parts definitely do, when I bought my front traxxas alum carries( 2/3 weeks ago) they had the bearings included, this has now given me a bunch of spares.

I am not sure and can't comment on other products, STRC etc and whether they come with bearings. But for sure you should check this before adding on 8 bearings to your order, you could end up with 16 and while spares are a very good idea to have about the bearings are easy enough to come by in the UK let alone in the US and of course not buying 8 spare bearings will save a bit of cash.

So check what you are getting and if they supply the bearings in the kit or not. People here in the forums will be able to tell you what companies supply bearings with their carrier options. Like I say traxxas do, but I can't say for other companies

RC Qualifier
    ok im going with the ones that come on the vxl stampede i will take pictures of all my work and post them when im finished with this project

RC Qualifier
    also i havent run the 9.6V 4200mah battery in it. i know the mah is how long the truck will run but what does the increased voltage from the 8.4 to the 9.6V do for me?

Quote Originally Posted by JoesStampede View Post
    Hold up digger. If Cuba is looking at purchasing the aluminium bearing carriers then they may come with the bearings. The traxxas parts definitely do, when I bought my front traxxas alum carries( 2/3 weeks ago) they had the bearings included, this has now given me a bunch of spares.
    Yeah we've been having issues at work and the connection has been slow. The replies hit before I made the post. If you go with Traxxas or STRC carriers they will have bearings with them. I believe the STRC come with metal shielded bearings. I was thinking hybrid, but can't confirm this until i get to the house this evening.

The increased voltage will make the truck go faster. Be sure to watch you ESC and motors temps while running the pack. You may need to regear it. If you can't leave your finger on the motor for a couple of seconds its to hot.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 02-08-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    I went with an 3000Kv X-Car Brushless system in my Stampede XL-5. I was pleased with it, though I might go with one of the higher X-Car Kv options. I was also able to fit a 6000mAh 2-cell LiPo in it without any modifications.

Check out my videos below.
    Part 1 is the unboxing/overview.
    Part 2 is the installation.
    Part 3 is the testing.

Mike (mmerry2)
    http://www.youtube.com/mmerry2