RC Qualifier

Must-have upgrades for Stampede 4X4 VXL

Hi all,
    I'd like to buy a Stampede 4X4 VXL general off road, andWheelies.
    Could you list the must have upgrades for this truck?
    I don't care too much for the look, just want to get the truck tough so that it won't be easily broken in light bashing, or the differential won't strip due to lot of wheelies.

Thanks for your help.
    hskb
    Last edited by hskb; 02-08-2012 at 01:19 AM.

RC Champion
    I would buy RPM parts as they break such as a arms because they are going to break the easiest. I'd upgrade as the truck breaks like with aluminum shock caps, Traxxas Aluminum Bearing Adapter Blue Slash 4X4 #6893x, Traxxas Front Hardened Steel Drive Hub Slash 4X4 #6888X.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    i would also go with a kingheadz motor mount, RPM shock towers much stronger then stock

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My list, probably you don´t need them all, but I like upgrades

1. Caslte MMP-2400
    2. Hitec 645mg servo
    3. RPM arms.
    4. Sway bars.
    5. T-bone bumper
    6. STRC alumiun motor mount
    7. MIP cvd's
    8. Proline trenchers on desperados
    9. Proline raptor body
    10. Jconcepts overtray.
    11. big bore shocks.

+1 on the Mip X-Duty axles! I also recommend a metal motor mount and hub adapter.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC poster
    Hi every body!
    I often read about metal motor mount must have as king headz. Can anybody tell me about what it's exacly help for? Does it avoid spur gear stripping?
    Thanks

To make your diffs bullet proof put the diff carrier supports in traxxas part 5382x i have these in for about a year and a half and they still feel brand new.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bars View Post
    Hi every body!
    I often read about metal motor mount must have as king headz. Can anybody tell me about what it's exacly help for? Does it avoid spur gear stripping?
    Thanks
    It has a bigger bearing in it so less chance breaking and its got a better heat distribution than stock

RC Qualifier
    Depends what you intend to run. I runs 2s only. The only upgrade I have is aluminium bearing adapter (stock mount is fine), RPM bumper, and Tekno rear shaft kits as eventually the stock twist and break. Unless you like buying upgrades you don't need to do to much to it.

Heat sink/fan for the motor is worthwhile too. :-)

RC poster
    Ok thanks!
    Would you say it can also prevent keep on stripping spur gear?

Ok thanks!
    No it will not.if you over do your slipper that may strip it

RC poster
    what would be the principal "symptom" of a breaking bearing? I had so many problem with my Stampede, I can't imagine I never broke one!!

Not looking after it or keeping it lubed up it general maintenance that makes a differance.....peace

RC Racer

Are the Traxxas Aluminium parts stronger than the stock plastic ones...

Had my Stampede 4x4 VXL for less than a month (actually it is my 7 year old sons) and I've ordered most, if not all of the
    Traxxas Aluminium upgrade parts. Waiting for the MIP drive shafts and need to do some hard Losi springs as I'm carrying more weight due to a heavy metal roll cage. My goal is to make this 4x4 as indestructable as possible and run 3 cell regularly. I am running the RPM front and rear A-arms. Also running the Traxxas big bore shocks.

I like the look and quality of the Traxxas upgrade parts but having just replaced the shock towers front and rear. They look
    great but I have to ask whether replacing all the stock parts with aluminium upgrade parts is going to meet my goal of making this super strong? I'm not a serious basher at all and prefer to run the car on moderate offroad terrain such as grass and bushland without needing to jump it high and roughing it up. What I want is a super fast tank that will be lots of fun and reliable.

So, put money aside when responding to this question, if you could replace all stock parts with the available upgrades, would it be stonger and more durable or not?

RC Qualifier
    How to make the Stampede indestructible: make it as light as possible with aluminum in very select places.
    Most aluminum parts are a waste of money. A "heavy metal roll cage" only makes the vehicle heavier, not indestructible. The added weight actually puts more stress on other components, including your motor. If I was you, I would stop buying parts unless you just want them for looks and just run your truck and replace what breaks.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    I like having 500k in my diffs (doesn't help durability, but it's better for bashing over rougher terrain)
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Enthusiast
    Wait until the parts break to replace them. RPM A-arms are a good replacement. RPM rear bearing carrier. MIP X-duty CVDs payoff over time. The stock front drive shafts lasted me a while while the rears lasted 5 seconds on 3s. I have yet to break or bend the shock towers although people list them as an RPM upgrade all the time. I'm not the biggest fan of aluminum parts and have none except for the King Headz motor mount because of running 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by gtlightning98 View Post
    Wait until the parts break to replace them. RPM A-arms are a good replacement. RPM rear bearing carrier. MIP X-duty CVDs payoff over time. The stock front drive shafts lasted me a while while the rears lasted 5 seconds on 3s. I have yet to break or bend the shock towers although people list them as an RPM upgrade all the time. I'm not the biggest fan of aluminum parts and have none except for the King Headz motor mount because of running 3s.
    +1 on what GT said its only driveshafts,a arms,alu bearing adapter and maybe better shocks and diff carrier support just to make the diffs bulletproof ...peace

RC Racer
    Just installed the Losi 2.5" 5160 4.1lbs springs last night in the front and rear Traxxas big bore shocks. I'm using a 55 weight shock oil as well. Are there any stiffer springs as these are still a little soft for my liking.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackelaktor View Post
    Just installed the Losi 2.5" 5160 4.1lbs springs last night in the front and rear Traxxas big bore shocks. I'm using a 55 weight shock oil as well. Are there any stiffer springs as these are still a little soft for my liking.
    The best spring I have bought for my big bore: (Perfect length and stiffness)
    Rear: VGracing progressive Front
    Front: Traxxas Springs Rear Progressive +20% Blue 6868

as seen in this post
    Last edited by emmanhello; 11-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=emmanhello;5335869]The best spring I have bought for my big bore: (Perfect length and stiffness)
    Rear: VGracing progressive Front
    Front: Traxxas Springs Rear Progressive +20% Blue 6868

Interesting setup. I might try moving the progressives that came with the big bores to the front, and will look at moving from the 2.5" Losi 4.1lb (LOSA5160) to the 3.1" Losi 4.3lb (LOSA5462) on the rears. Will see if that works well.....

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks!
    When you strip a spur gear, it usually for one of these reasons:
    Motor mount screw loosened up and gear mesh got too sloppy.
    Sand may have found it's way into the gears and got the mesh too tight.
    You've locked up your slipper completely by tightening it down all the way (or almost).