RC poster

spur gear free play on my stampede 4x4 vxl

I noticed that there is a freeplay of about the maximum of 5mm on my spur gear. The spur gear on my stampede moves side to side. Is it normal? With my hands on the spur gear I can move the spur gear side to side.

Will greatly appreciate any inputs from you guys who are experts with this truck. Lots to learn from u guys!!

Thanxs in advance! This issue had been bothering me.

RC Enthusiast
    check your spur bearing

had the same problem and when the bearing let go it destroyed my spur gear pinion gear and slipper clutch pad

RC poster
    the bearings are new. I double check again. Thank you for your input!

Also check your motor mount. It might be eaten up. You should replace the adapter that the motor mount bearing rides on, if its not aluminum.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    the whole assembly has slop because of the gap between the center drive shaft, you can try shimming the center drive shaft so the slipper assembly cannot slide back and forth. I used some cut pieces of nitro fuel tubing for this.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC poster
    Apex do you have pics and/or what kind of tubing you used? anyone know of any other solutions to this? Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    The spur does move, but it's fine. Center the spur in the middle of the slop, then center your pinion on the spur and tighten it down. This will ensure when the spur moves, it will still be 90% in contact with the pinion. Slop in some areas of a basher is a good thing. When the truck flips down the road or flexes from landing huge air, having some play keeps things from breaking. The pede is not a precision racing machine, so no need for tight tolerances.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by quinseng View Post
    I noticed that there is a freeplay of about the maximum of 5mm on my spur gear. The spur gear on my stampede moves side to side. Is it normal? With my hands on the spur gear I can move the spur gear side to side.

Will greatly appreciate any inputs from you guys who are experts with this truck. Lots to learn from u guys!!

Thanxs in advance! This issue had been bothering me.
    If the other stuff didn't fix it, make sure the 3 screws are tight. I had this problem with the original and that's all it was. I loctite em when I change spurs.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pdgmtf View Post
    Apex do you have pics and/or what kind of tubing you used? anyone know of any other solutions to this? Thanks!
    Just any old nitro fuel tubing. About an 1/8th of an inch will do. I cant take pictures because i no longer have my truck sorry.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.