Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Champion
    I'm the same way. Seems like it's easier for me to take extra time to do something on a customer body, but when I do a body for myself, I just want to see it done, lol.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Racer
    I hear you on that one!

RC Competitor
    I use paint markers on my models, but never thought to try to use them on lexan. What a great idea!

Biggie, do you think a light bead blast would have helped your friends wheels? I have the Axial 8-Spokes and some of the outer lip is banged up badly. I'd like to either scuff the rough spots down some to at least minimize any big imperfections. Or I can toss them in the bead blaster and really smooth things out!

RC Racer
    Yea I dont see that making things any worse. With 5 or 6 coats it will thicken up well. VERY DEEP scratches may have to be sanded down or something. Let me know how it turns out. Oh and btw if you spray it and dont like it, its very easy to take it off. It will peel right off like its a vinyl and doesnt leave a residue.

RC Racer
    If your doing it with the tires on the wheels and have masked off the tires be careful when peeling off the masking because if the plastidip is on there as well when you peel it off it may keep peeling off from the wheel unless you have a sharp hobby knife and cut it when it starts to stretch and peel.

RC Competitor
    Duly noted. Thanks for the pointers!

RC Racer
    Anytime! Good luck and post some pics if you decide to do it!

RC Racer
    Alright well I finally painted my first body and it turned out ok. Not exactly what I was hoping, but I can live with it. I ended up doing Purple Anodized Aluminum with a pearl white. The purple was tamiya and the white was pactra (they didnt have it in tamiya). When its in the light its killer! When its not its not so killer lol. I think I'm gonna back both colors with a plain white. A body of mine has REAL pearl white but its actual car paint but I dont know if its a good idea to use it? Anyways let me know what you guys think!

RC Competitor
    Love it. Try and get some pictures of it outside. I'd love to see it in the sun.

RC Champion
    Automotive paint can be used, but it tends to lay down a thicker paint layer than hobby paints.

As for your body, that's a very interesting look, I'm not sure I would back it in white. I kinda like the metallic translucent look.
    1stGenPaint

RC Racer
    Thanks Markarch and I will tomorrow! And you like that look 1stGenCRXer? I dunno if im liking it yet or not. Im on the fence still. Its deff an interesting look. Its almost like it changes colors!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie7871 View Post
    And you like that look 1stGenCRXer? I dunno if im liking it yet or not. Im on the fence still. Its deff an interesting look. Its almost like it changes colors!
    Yeah, I like it, don't know if I 100% like the look on the the entire body, but in that picture the look reminds me of the ship in the movie "Flight of the Navigator".

Though I see some interesting possibilities for masking off a pattern, backing the body in white, and having that translucent metal look only in certain areas too, lol.
    1stGenPaint

RC Racer
    Yea thats pretty much how I feel I'll see in a few days if im going to back it with that other pearl white or not. Most likely I'll leave it the way it is.

RC Qualifier
    Really like the color turned out nice think you would like it better not just one solid color some sort of patterns with the pearl white might have pleased you better either way I do like the color purple
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Racer
    Thanks Brewers, yea I didn't want to do anything too crazy just because it was my first one and I didn't really care to just yet. I'm starting to like it more though everytime I look at it!

RC Competitor
    One thing you could do to break up the overall body would be to put some stickers and logos on it just to add a little something. That would be one of the easier ways to add a little detail.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie7871 View Post
    Yea thats pretty much how I feel I'll see in a few days if im going to back it with that other pearl white or not. Most likely I'll leave it the way it is.
    If you spray a backing color, use a regular Opaque white, like Pactra Sprint White or similar. Pearl white is very transparent, and won't really do anything for you.

When I paint a body pearl white, I spray a single thin layer of pearl white, then back with sprint white.
    1stGenPaint

RC Racer
    Thanks for the tips Markarch and 1stGenCRXer! As for the stickers/logos I have added some and will add some more when I get home. I was hoping to get a good picture of it in the sun today, but unfortunately it's a cloudy/rainy day . Here's another pic with a few stickers put on...OH and new bumpers should finally be in tomorrow!

Yep a few stickers... break lights, head light, rear window, will look like a completly diff truck..
    Stupid Q&A But I know to backing with white, how does that bring out the color? Or can you explain that???
    Thanks....

edit now that is looking good.......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Competitor
    Agreed. Those stickers made a big difference.

RC Racer
    Yea I think they deff made it stand out a bit more

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Yep a few stickers... break lights, head light, rear window, will look like a completly diff truck..
    Stupid Q&A But I know to backing with white, how does that bring out the color? Or can you explain that???
    Thanks....

edit now that is looking good.......
    Most colors are semi-transparent. Because of this, a lot of colors will seem, for lack of a better word, soft, when you look at them painted on a clear medium. By backing your color with white, silver, or black [all colors that reflect or absorb a lot of light naturally], you give the color the appearance of being applied on something solid. In the case of bright or transparent colors, like flouro's, candies, etc, backing with white will make them appear "brighter", because light will be reflected back through the color off of the white base. Backing with black will give the appearance of a solid object, but tame down the "brightness" since light isn't reflected, but rather absorbed, by black. Without a backing color, your eye sees the color, but the color will seem distant and very "deep", which is also the effect made by many thin layers of color.

It's also seen on 1:1 cars with a show quality paint job consisting of many layers of perfect clear coat, with RC bodies, we're actually starting with the clear coat, if you will, with the body, and working in reverse to the base, which is paint rather than sheet metal and primer.
    1stGenPaint

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer View Post
    It's also seen on 1:1 cars with a show quality paint job consisting of many layers of perfect clear coat, with RC bodies, we're actually starting with the clear coat, if you will, with the body, and working in reverse to the base, which is paint rather than sheet metal and primer.
    Great explanation! I never really thought of it like that. A lot of people ask me how we paint these shells. This is going to be my response from now on.

RC Racer
    So I got home not to long ago and went to get the mail and my bumpers were already in! Didn't expect that, but im not complaining. Put them on along with a few more logos/stickers on the body and took a few pics...

Without a backing color, your eye sees the color, but the color will seem distant and very "deep", which is also the effect made by many thin layers of color.

I put on several light layers, but I don't let is dry completely between passes. (good or bad). Does it matter. Thin layers create depth, does backing do the same (create depth)??

Thanks & thanks OP for letting me hack your thread.......like you had a choice.hahaha..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    You really should allow each application of paint to dry before adding more. When the paint that we use is still wet or tacky [starting to flash off] it has a tendency to congeal and act like a single thick layer when more paint is added, and it can also increase the amount of cure time needed for a durable paint job. Single part [not epoxy based] paints gas off the solvent or carrier base in the paint as it dries, so the more drying time you can give on a thinner paint layer, the quicker the whole process is.

Backing a color doesn't really help add depth, and some colors benefit from a backing color more than others. The main purpose of a backing color is to give light something even to reflect off of, or absorb into through your other colors, all your "depth" is going to be established by the time you're ready for a backing color, with no way to increase it further. The secondary purpose of a backing color is make the inside of the shell look cleaner.
    1stGenPaint

RC Racer
    Thanks & thanks OP for letting me hack your thread.......like you had a choice.hahaha..

I don't mind at all....the more you ask, the more I learn too so it doesn't bother me one bit.