RC Enthusiast

Bearings in slash ultimate HELP...

I bought a use slash ultimate. Its 2 yr old. Im pretty sure no maintenance has been done to it. Looking to clean the bearings they seem to sticking. First question is should i bother to do this? Also how the heck do i get to the ones in the steering blocks? Have looked on youtube and done searches on different sites cant find any info on getting the ones in steering blocks..

Thanks
    Chris

RC Racer
    just replace em easier very cheap too

RC Qualifier
    If I replace every bearing that started sticking or feeling gritty in my 11 different RC's, that all get run in a very fine dusty environment (except the XO-1, I'd go broke.

I pop the rubber seals off with a razor blade or an exacto knife, then thoroughly blow out the old grease/oil and debri with an air compressor from both sides, put one seal on, fill the bearing with Acer SIN oil (I see a lot of people use Mobil 1 synthetic), then pop on the other seal. Good as new!
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonemcniel View Post
    If I replace every bearing that started sticking or feeling gritty in my 11 different RC's, that all get run in a very fine dusty environment (except the XO-1, I'd go broke.

I pop the rubber seals off with a razor blade or an exacto knife, then thoroughly blow out the old grease/oil and debri with an air compressor from both sides, put one seal on, fill the bearing with Acer SIN oil (I see a lot of people use Mobil 1 synthetic), then pop on the other seal. Good as new!
    I did this with one it moves alot better then other ones. Question is after it being 2 yrs old should i strip down car and do them all? Also how do i get into the steering blocks and get the ones in there out?

RC Qualifier
    it wouldn't hurt

that's the first thing I do when I buy a used RC; strip it down to NOTHING, clean and inspect everything, and then reassemble. you never know what you're going to find

I've actually been re-oiling my bearings with a little bit of 10k diff fluid and it works great! doesn't seem to seep and sling out so much like actual bearing oil, and it keeps things moving smoothly might cause a little more rotational friction than actual bearing lube, but I'm not racing so I'm not all concerned about it; it's not making the motor run any harder and overheating
    Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-04-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Competitor
    Yeah Racing bearing set is only $11 & they are a lot better than stock.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.491313,-111.882073
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcDESTROYER View Post
    Yeah Racing bearing set is only $11 & they are a lot better than stock.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.491313,-111.882073
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where can i get thoses?

RC Racer
    I wouldnt fool with cleaning those old bearings, get new bearings and then clean them as you need to. The bearings in the steering block just come right out.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 98whitelightnin View Post
    I wouldnt fool with cleaning those old bearings, get new bearings and then clean them as you need to. The bearings in the steering block just come right out.
    Ok i must be missing something because the screw that holds the wheels on wont come out? Cant get the holder that holds the ball for the front driveshaft out of the steering block.. Hope that makes sense.. LOL

RC Qualifier
    you mean the wheel nut wont come off? I'm confused...
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Racer
    If you are talking about the wheele nut, you have to pop it off with a little flat screwdriver.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
    you mean the wheel nut wont come off? I'm confused...
    lol sorry. Im new to all this. Ok hope this makes sense. I can get the wheel hub off to get to the bearings in the steering block?

RC Racer
    They just slip on really tight and are centered by a pin. Use a little force and it will pop off, then slid the pin out.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 98whitelightnin View Post
    If you are talking about the wheele nut, you have to pop it off with a little flat screwdriver.
    Ok wow do i feel stupid. That worked. Been trying for over an hr to get that thing off.

One last thing anyone know a traxxas parts number for a bearing set? Looks like to buy them all separte gonna cost and arm and leg..

Thanks so much for the help guys.

RC Qualifier
    you can find pretty decent bearing sets (almost a full set for the entire truck) on flebay for $15-$20

I'd suggest getting rubber sealed ones; you'll see a few metal shielded bearings listed as well. stay away from those, unless all you plan on doing with the truck is running on a carpeted indoor track, LOL
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Enthusiast
    just ordered a set thanks alot for all the help.

Good! If you start with new bearings, you know they are worth while. Sometimes used bearings aren't worth the effort to clean them.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM