RC Qualifier

I NEED HELP ASAP! Please

Im going to a rally offroad event with my rally! I bought tayami rally block tires and they dont have foam
    inserts.. do i duck tape inside of just glue with nothing inside? please help! Whats the best for offroad plus a little onroad

RC Champion
    no need for foam. and no need for duck tape unless you are going to be doing onroad high speed runs.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Qualifier
    Yup no need for foams or taping, the hpi rally tires are the same way. they have somewhat stiffer sidewalls and the lack of foam allows them to grip better off road. think of it like a real car, when u go off roading you generally air down a bit to help with traction. since these dont have air in them, the lack of foam essentally does the same
    sorry for the long winded over-complicated response to your question.... lol
    Good luck in the Rally! I would love to to see pics and or a vid!
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Qualifier
    I taped one and not one to see. The taped one is no baloon. The other has balloon

RC poster
    baloon? I put som tamiya rally tires on hpi rims, and they didnt come with foam either. like everyone else said, i dont think u need foam with rally tires

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kdgusmc View Post
    baloon? I put som tamiya rally tires on hpi rims, and they didnt come with foam either. like everyone else said, i dont think u need foam with rally tires
    I think he means they are ballooning or expanding at speed without the duct tape on the inside acting as a belt. Ballooning isn't necessarily a bad thing to an extent. As long as it doesn't cause rubbing or get excessive, the tendency for the tires to grow in diameter acts as a sort of CVT "transmission". The smaller diameter at low speed gives you better acceleration and torque...the larger diameter at high speed trades some of that torque in where you don't really need it and in return you get higher top speed. It's win/win!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If your holding the car off the ground and revving it up they will balloon for sure. But on the ground running they may not. A rally style event is less about TOP speed as it is about control so you really shouldn't be going fast enough to have any ballooning issues WHILE racing.

Also, the stock rally tires do not have foams either. They are simply hard enough not to need them.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ