Thread: Servo problem

RC Enthusiast

Servo problem

my last servo burnt out on my slash, so i bought a new one. but that didn't fix it so i bought a new esc too. Well it won't turn right its just stock on left. Then I turned my truck on by itself. and it did nothing, but when i turn the controller on too, all i hear is a loud grinding noise from the servo. any ideas?

The noise is probably a sign of stripped servo gears. Best thing IMO is upgrade to a metal geared one. Cheapest on short term is a replacement gear set.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Enthusiast
    But they're brand new?

Can you move everything free when the servo arm is not connected? Friend of my stripped a new gear set in 5 minutes.

RC Champion
    Yeah these servos that come with the car ARE garbage, they break for everyone! Sometimes they break in a day, a week a month.. but they all break, Traxxas knows this and if you call explaining what happened they send you a new one right away because they get calls about it all the time. I upgraded to a metal gear servo from Hitec, it's the 5085, there's plenty of them all around it shouldn't be hard to find.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The ******* is now in stock!!

Get it while you can!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    i can move it freely when its connected. but it i do have to apply some force to the wheels to turn it right. but it won't turn that way with my radio.

RC Enthusiast
    and if i get the hitec servo, what else do i need? Because it looks different

You might have a pillow ball binding that causes the resistance. Make sure you solve that otherwise you keep getting servo problems. The Hitec and the ******* dont require any mods. If the ******* is out of stock, the Bluebird 390 is a good alternative because, besides the brand name, it is the same.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    so if i buy the hitec, i don't have to change the arms on my steering or anything? so just buy the servo?

RC Champion
    The hitec will come with horns, you need one that fits the hitec servo gear, and it comes with them.

I didn't know this, so I went out and paid $10 for a pack of 15 assorted ones... you do not need to do that!! The hardest part about the hitec is getting it in the hole, it's a tight fit, not impossible but very ... tight. Once it's up in the hole it's fine - thinner than the stock one as well.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_gnar View Post
    so if i buy the hitec, i don't have to change the arms on my steering or anything? so just buy the servo?
    the ******* 390 and blue bird 390 are a direct fit, you just have to reverse the servo direction and waterproof it
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.