Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Champion
    sweet runs! don't understand why people want to argue over speeds that traxxas has claimed.
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Racer
    Hey powers are you in miami?!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post
    So let me get this right, you have talked about the build quality, and that you think the car will float and potentially flip at around 70-75mph.....
    your words
    Padrino Forum History:
    Based on my experiences I expect approaching 70-75mph (GPS measured) it will start to float a little bit and be susceptible to a flip).
    What's disappointing is the indications that Traxxas may not have properly equipped the XO-1 with proper bearings. I'm all about replacing bearings eventually but within the first couple of runs?) [/FONT][/I]
    __________________________________________________ _________________________[/SIZE] and you base it on your experiences but, you don't have any
    experience with it because you don't own the car Reality is: drive the car before you bad mouth it.
    Regarding the quality, I was commenting and sympathizing with the poster that has frayed wires in his RX box, sorry I had to voice my opinion.

Regarding the 70-75 mph comment... Go read the thread genius, the poster asked when it will float WITHOUT the high speed splitter on the front, Traxxas provides it with the car for a reason. Please impress me again with your great wisdom I can't wait for more.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by powers View Post
    Although I will backtrack and say this thing is literally a tire shredder so even these tires days are numbered.
    Have you felt the GRP belted rally tyres in your hand before powers? The version I used were quite firm, with a nice stiff sidewall & they just seemed to last forever

Do the XO-1 tyres have these characteristics? I haven't noticed anybody reporting failures yet...maybe you will be pleasantly surprised with their durability??

This thread has been cleaned up. Please remember to keep post constrictive and helpful. If you MUST disagree or post a negative comment you NEED to do so in a respectful manner.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamizFinest View Post
    Hey powers are you in miami?!
    Nope, I'm in Tampa Bay

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    This is definitely the most in control video I've seen of an XO-1 besides the traxxas videos. Nice driving. And man, what a narrow road. That would be scary to watch my $1000 bill go flying by like that. Hehe.

Im not a hater or doubter... I have ever believe the XO-1 can, will and does go 100mph and likely more as they get setup and tweaked in the next few months. I do NOT believe the argument about speed verification is the same as with a rustler or pede... its a whole different story.

With that said, I DO want to see a GPS verified run. Not because I doubt the car can do it in ANY WAY. Simply because I want to see more evidence of just how accurate the TQi telemetry system is. Im not a fan of mechanical speed measurement. Too many factors can change. I think the BEST add on to this car will the the GPS module when it becomes available. That will mean the TQi and its telemetry CAN be used a verifiable speed measurement system for proof. Until then, Id prefer to see a GPS under the hood.

But again, I MUST restate this, I do not doubt in any way this car is capable of 100mph... and after seeing this video I have all the faith I need in Powers driving ability... clearly the most in control driver I've seen so far.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I agree with pav about verifying with GPS.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by powers View Post
    Nope, I'm in Tampa Bay
    Home of BUBBA!
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

Quote Originally Posted by padrino View Post
    Hmm, over $20K in RC gear, most of it Traxxas aside from my 1/5 scale e-baja and fleet of helis only because Traxxas doesn't make them. I am a Traxxas fan by most accounts and own more then most but I also enjoy a good discussion and apparently even basic questions expose hens chirping away, so be it.

Have I bought one yet, yes it's in the mail hopefully shipped yesterday but I don't have the tracking number from the seller yet.
    I'm glad you like the Traxxas stuff. Really. And I'm glad that you'll be testing the limits yourself soon. Whether you post any video of your own and what "proof" you may decide to provide...I don't care one bit. I also don't really care whether the evidence shown in the OP's videos is definitive or not. I haven't seen many that have any kind of definitive evidence. I also don't care if the results are questioned in a civil, cordial manner. As a licensed professional in a field and industry where measurements are critical, data is almost sacred to me, and I have many of the same doubts about any results. I have been trained and educated to be this way because I may end up in court on any given day to prove I am right in my measurements. I just don't think the same standards should necessarily apply here. I would welcome corroboration of the speed readings from GPS units or radar guns or...pick a method. I do balance all that with the fact that this is a scale model and right or wrong, the displayed result is not likely to affect any of our lives all that significantly except for the thrill we may experience in chasing a certain goal and the joy we may discover when we achieve it.
    I would respectfully remind you that this forum has a great many members and as such consists of a commensurately larger cross-section of the population than you are perhaps accustomed to posting alongside. The cheap shots above are not necessary and I believe they are beneath your standards.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Still waiting on new tires so I can go deeper into triple digits...in the mean time I'm still waiting for someone out there to post another video of the xo-1 goin 100+.... Anyone?

RC Competitor
    And u really have to use a gps for accurate mph.

RC Competitor
    And there is no way you got to 100 in 600ft. At 100mph your going almost 200feet a second and thats at 100. Not even possible in 600 or 800ft

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Silversrt4 View Post
    And there is no way you got to 100 in 600ft. At 100mph your going almost 200feet a second and thats at 100. Not even possible in 600 or 800ft
    I apologize if my mad ninja driving skills make you feel like any less of a man. Although most of your feelings of shortcoming should be coming from your flawed comprehension of what is going on in my video. Just because I hit over 100mph in 800ft doesn't mean I was going 200ft a second the whole time. It really only means I'm probably just better at throttle mangememt and high speed steering input than you....no biggie. I did get started In rc with FE boats, where being able to handle the throttle and keep the boat going as straight as possible as fast possible without blowing over was great practice for this sort of thing. (all this was said in jest, in hopes to spur a little friendly competition)

Oh, and to silence the whiners once the new wheels and tires arrive i will use my gps on the next runs. MUAH!

RC Competitor
    Its impossible to go 100 mph in 800 ft from a dead stop. At 100mph the car covers almost 200ft a sec. You do the math

RC Competitor
    Yeah and my 105 is gps certified.

RC Champion
    Its impossible to go 100 mph in 800 ft from a dead stop. At 100mph the car covers almost 200ft a sec. You do the math
    You do realize that 1/8 mile is 660 feet right. Some of the fastest 1/8 drag cars can go 160-180 in that distance. So 100mph in 800 feet is so very possible.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    It doesn't really even come down to math at this point with you. All you get is a low hanging headhsake of pity....walking away now....

That's the fact Jack.
    99%er

RC Enthusiast
    This issue of 0 to 100 to 0 distance is an interesting one. Anyone smart enough to work out the math or got a link that might be relevant. I found a road and track article where they listing times and distance for several high performance cars. They were all over 1000 feet.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...0-0_mph_page_6

The xo-1 should be able to crush these cars on the 0 to 100 to 0 test and the distance for the xo-1 shoukd be much shorter. Can anyone find a link reporting distance for something full scale that has performance comparable to the xo-1?
    Last edited by iaanr; 02-26-2012 at 06:32 PM.

RC Racer
    That was some seriously nice controlled driving. Looks like a blast to drive.
    2x4 CC 3800 Pede
    4x4 CC 3800 Pede
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    http://www.imdra.com/Records%202011.htm

Over 132ft aswell. Not sure how a few hundred feet more could in any way make it harder to achieve

RC Qualifier
    Yeah and my 105 is gps certified.
    Your video is shady at best my friend.

Seeing a glimpse of your X-01 driving by than seeing a GPS that reads 105 mph means squat to me, sorry to be blunt.
    And the GPS reads 2.1 miles... that's a whole lotta driving !!!

And it's been proven that, when set-up as it should, the TQi's telemetry is very adequate in giving the actual speed.

RC poster
    Really! Fast 1:1 cars trap well over 100mph in the 1/8 mile, which is 660 feet.
    I know, you drive a Neon so you wouldn't know about fast, sorry.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by slagburn View Post
    I know, you drive a Neon so you wouldn't know about fast, sorry.
    Hey now, we gotta cool it with the neon skittle talk. Don't want this thread getting locked like his was. Don't get me wrong I LOL AND ROFL and LMBO to that comment.

But back on topic. Did you guys see that powers guys video? It was NUTZ!! I can't wait till he gets new tires and goes for more speed. SICK!!!

RC Competitor
    hey i dont want to rain on anyones parade cause this is def crazy and a good run but i ran my X0-1 past weekend and my iphone telemetry said 97 MPH and i have a onboard GPS that i bought to compare and the onboard said 87.5 MPH so there is a big diference between what the controller is telling us vs the GPS has anyone else compared the 2 side by side if so what results did you get.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnyg37 View Post
    hey i dont want to rain on anyones parade cause this is def crazy and a good run but i ran my X0-1 past weekend and my iphone telemetry said 97 MPH and i have a onboard GPS that i bought to compare and the onboard said 87.5 MPH so there is a big diference between what the controller is telling us vs the GPS has anyone else compared the 2 side by side if so what results did you get.
    Have you entered the correct gearing in your iDevice ??

A lot of the speed discrepencies have been related to the user not telling his iDevice wich gearing was in the XO-1
    Also if your run was on cold asphalt and your tires were spinning like crazy it can also mess with the telemetry since it only reads spur / speed...

RC Competitor
    I dont understand all the people giving negative reviews on the telemetry. I have seen posts of people stating that GPS is the only way to accuratly measure your speed. In fact GPS is not nearly as accurate as the stock RPM sensor or radar gun. GPS is first only accurate within 5 ft and when you are going 70+ mph in under a few seconds those few feet matter, also depending on your GPS device it measures how quickly you went from point a to point b. If the location is gathered every 2 seconds on a car like the XO-1 that data will be useless. However the stock RPM sensor calculates your speed depending on you gearing settings, so if you change your gears be sure to update that in your garage, otherwise your speed calculation will be off. I really like the TQi transmitter and link app, job well done traxxas.
    - snapshot4

RC poster
    What snapshot said..

These cars just speed up and slow down too quickly for GPS to be accurate.

Radar gun, properly set telemetry or pace it with a full size car.

RC Qualifier
    Telemetry Rules GPS DRools

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Changing pin/spur has no effect on telemetry speed...

RC Competitor
    No it does have an affect here it is right out of the help of the Traxxas app in the garage:

Traxxas Link relies on specific information about your model to generate accurate telemetry data. If you are operating a stock Traxxas model and have selected that model from the Select Model screen, there is no need to make any changes to Model Setup. However, if you have made changes to your model's gear ratio, tires, or battery, you will need to input new data in Model Setup or your telemetry results will not be accurate.

Here is the equation which gets used:

(0.00595) * (RPM * r) / (R1 * R2)
    RPM = current rpm from the sensor
    r = radius of wheel to pavement
    R1 = gear ratio
    R2 = diff ratio

So if you change any of items referenced in the help you need to make the changes in your garage.
    Last edited by snapshot4; 02-28-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    - snapshot4

RC Competitor
    What if we use different tires that are a bit smaller in diameter, is there a place we can entire that into the tqi app ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by snapshot4 View Post
    No it does have an affect here it is right out of the help of the Traxxas app in the garage:
    Sigh....

Ok dude, I gotta assume you own a XO-1, you do right?

Ok good, now go look at the RPM sensor, where is it? Oh its built into the spur gear? Just like mine eh?

Right, so its measuring the rpm of the center shaft, and then using the gear ratio of the diff, and the roll out of the tires to calculate speed.

It does not take into account motor rpm... If you don't believe me, put the car in locked mode, then raise the ratio and go drive, still locks at the same speed doesn't it?

Thats because its based off center shaft speed.... so changing the pinion/spur doesn't change the speed formula...

Quote Originally Posted by vision View Post
    What if we use different tires that are a bit smaller in diameter, is there a place we can entire that into the tqi app ?
    Ahh now we have a winner. Changing the rollout will certainly effect the speed on the telemetry. Chaging the diff ratio, which is difficult.... but hey we've put LST diffs in a ERBE, so its not impossible that one might change to a different diff on the XO... although I haven't seen anyone do it yet.... I digress....

Changing the tire diameter, or the diff ratio will effect the speed reported by telemetry.

I maintain changing the pinion/spur will not.

However.... if you don't update your ratio in the app, the RPM will be off, since thats backwards calculated off the center shaft speed.

Traxxas could give us actual RPM if they simply updated the app to support Castle Link Live.... something I've been not so patiently waiting on.

RC Competitor
    No the rpm is not figured by the center shaft the sensor is just built into the motor mount. The magnet however is in the spur gear so as the gear rotates the calculation is done there. If you change the spur gear the gear is the bigger or smaller and the time it takes to do a full revolution is increased or decreased accordingly.

Think of it this way if you roll a soccer ball and a basketball down a hill which one goes faster? The answer they go the same speed however the soccer ball has a higher rpm then the basket ball because of size, it takes more revolutions for the soccer ball to maintain the same speed as the basketball. If you don't take the size into account you will get the wrong answer.
    - snapshot4

RC Competitor
    Tires you can also change in the garage. The tires have the radius/diameter built in so the can do the proper calculation. If you tire isn't listed you will have to choose something close to the size you are using. Unfortunately you can't manually enter in a tire a size, my guess that may be in a future update to the app.
    - snapshot4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by snapshot4 View Post
    No the rpm is not figured by the center shaft the sensor is just built into the motor mount.

Stickin to your guns eh.

Tell you what, how far does the car roll when you turn the spur gear 1 time? 1 turn only.

Now change the spur gear, turn it again, one exact turn, how far did the car roll?

The answer is the same distance! Because the spur is on the center shaft.... and one turn is one turn is one turn...

Changing the spur, or pinion has no effect on the rollout of the center shaft, which is the rpm the sensor is reading....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    The answer is the same distance! Because the spur is on the center shaft.... and one turn is one turn is one turn...

Changing the spur, or pinion has no effect on the rollout of the center shaft, which is the rpm the sensor is reading....
    The gear ratio for the stock gearing is 9.36 meaning the shaft will turn 9.36 times per 1 turn of the axial. But put in the high speed pinion and then the ratio changes to 3.85 so now one turn on the drive shaft will move the car forward further then the previous gearing.

However I was working out the math from one of my previous runs where I did change my garage settings. The math wasn't working out at all, because my recording was reaching about 30,000 rpm going 71mph. But my math was coming up with 99 mph using my gearing. I then came across my setup sheet which was still set to the default of 25 pinion and 50 spur. I used those in my math and that worked out to 70mph. So I wonder if you have to load a setup sheet to get the right calculations. I will do some testing on this, but gotta wait for it to warm up a bit.

BTW I think we high jacked this thread :-)
    - snapshot4

RC Champion
    Here is an example of how a different size pinion affects the spur rpm.

So you see, changing the pinion or the spur for that matter, will definitely affect center shaft rpm which will in turn affect wheel rpm. The faster the center shaft turns, the faster the wheels turn.
    Last edited by ponie1992; 02-29-2012 at 03:13 AM.
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Fart...

True ponie but it's still reads at the spur and calculates motor rpm backwards from there. IMHO
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 02-29-2012 at 06:39 AM.