RC Qualifier

Biggest tires that fit the summit?

I am thinking of converting the summit into a real slow, crawl truck, but not sure how much weight the mini can carry
    What are biggest tires with 14mm hex that can fit. I looked at the big brother tires, but they use 17mm hex. can we use some adapters on those tires
    I will do tranny flip, and using stock spur/pinion gears.
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by hskb; 02-01-2012 at 10:30 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    With tranny flip and stock gear/spur speed won't be low enough to be a real crawler. Axle is 12mm, not 14mm. Biggest tires for mSummit have about 130mm diameter, like 2.2 flat irons or superswampers, but i think that ground clareance is good enough from stock and with bigger tires you're raising the COG, so your car will flip easily back and side.

Get the lowest pinion/spur combination, use 500k oil in differentials, put some 1.9 sticky tires like flatirons or rokloxs or superswampers and weight tires and front end. This is, my opinion, the better way to have a pseudocrawler from a miniSummit.

RC poster
    There is a couple guys on here running the proline desperado 2.8 tire and wheel combo i believe. Im sure they will chim in.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCase05 View Post
    There is a couple guys on here running the proline desperado 2.8 tire and wheel combo i believe. Im sure they will chim in.
    If i'm gonna mount wheels like that on my mini summit vxl, do I have to change the gearing?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Probably.
    The only way to know for sure is to have a temp gun handy while you try it out.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    We put Losi tires, LOSA7682B which are almost 5" on their2.2 beadlocks which have enough offset to turn. The most difficult problems with really large tires are usually turning them in regards to clearance and servo power. We inverted the tranny and use a 12T to 14T pinion and 55T spur. Heat is not a problem. Likely soon to change the brushless out for a brushed motor for lots of reasons. There is a great video on one of the posts in this forum by someone who did a great job of what you're trying to do. We did not add a second servo, but did upgrade the one along with many other upgrades.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    joke! Never ran it!

RC Champion
    STRC has a 14mm hex for small shafts....may help you a bit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grogga View Post
    If i'm gonna mount wheels like that on my mini summit vxl, do I have to change the gearing?
    I have the 2.2 desperado on dirt hawgs, I was looking at the 2.8 dirt hawgs that are suppose to be for stampede but never did after the 2.2's looked big enough they are a little harder than stock so work much better for bashing, the stocks are decent fairly smooth on dirt.

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    the stampede tires and wheels will bolt up, I just did it to mine. It killed my servo tho, ate the plastic gears up and spit em out......